Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners plan for 2017 season

Options
  • 27-10-2016 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Having done ironmind Mullingar this year I joined my local club and I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of the basics, especially the swimming side of things. Can anyone recommend which 2017 events I should look to be aiming for in 2017? I guess my aim is to finish a sprint tri before everyone else packs up and goes home and then do a couple more just to get different experience and practice of transitions etc. I assume some events lend themselves more to people who's aim is to finish having enjoyed the experience. I'll wait til 2018 before looking at my watch. All tips very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'd highly recommend the Tribesman Series of Sprint distance races. They are very well run and are suitable to all. No access to FB here but they have a FB page and are also on the TI calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Laois sprint is very beginner friendly too, on in April in Portlaois with the swim in a pool. Trilogy use it as a beginner tri and I know our club use it as the first race for our beginner programme too so plenty of newer people at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Carlow Tri is a good one for beginners too, 250 upstream and float down stream the rest, 10k up hill cycle, turnaround and freewheel down, 5k flat run. Well organised race.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

boru sprint in killaloe is perfect for an early season one, mid june, swim is in a canal with walls/side 10 feet away at all times, nice flat bike loop, flat run through the town, leaves loads of time to do a few more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This year was my first year, and I personally didn't enjoy the pool one I did as my first official one (Sligo). Now part of that was organisational which kinda messed with my head*, but getting lapped was much more headwrecking than the pack swimming away from you! I can see why some might prefer a pool first, but for me with no real issue with the open water, I found others like Carlow more enjoyable.

Carlow is good one, and would've been back only it clashes with a family event. Apparently TriAthy is similar and I'm doing the Olympic next year. All of them I did had "completers" so I don't think that'd be an issue once you can hit the swim cut offs. 2 provinces is good as well, but it's lake so chop potential!

*They'd said the first 3 waves were 30 minute cut off, all others 20 minutes, but then made wave 3 women only. I knew my times were right on 20 minutes, so the night before at registration I was concerned and asked and was told "don't worry about cut offs", and that lanes were based on expected times. In the pool at the wall before my wave start they announced the cut off would be strictly enforced, and then I started getting lapped within a few lengths, which really messed with me (by lads that were actually sub 12 minute swimmers!). They did cut people off too, within a few lengths of doing the distance I believe too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Skerries triathlon this year was a perfectly flat two loop bike course and a lovely run course. Certainly beginner friendly and an amazing setting, even if I am a little biased.

It is a sea swim so I would recommend getting some OW practice before it but there are kayaks and a safety boat there for backup. We had plenty of people in the 1:40 - 2 hour mark and it is a fast course so don't be put off by the level of athlete. There was a good spread from top juniors (1st and 2nd place finishers came from TI Junior training day the day before) to people wetting their feet for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pat 36059

Having done my first triathlon , I would highly recommend , Longford Tri in Tarmonbarry. Great event ,Lovely crowd, Calm Swim in the Shannon, This was really good as the current wasn't strong ,20 K cycle into Longford ( Very good road surface ) followed by 5 k run. Really couldn't say enough about this event, Going back next year and can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Still here looking anyway.. 4 months on :D

Has anyone any experience of the Athlone Tri? I've got Tri Athy booked and will be doing the Waterford Hook or by Crook too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well I'll be back in Carlow, despite the price increase, as they've moved the date! I've penciled in Blessington as well, which is lake and has a sprint and olympic and may be a reasonable drive for you? Can't decide on that or another go at the Wicklow 200...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mossym wrote: »
    boru sprint in killaloe is perfect for an early season one, mid june, swim is in a canal with walls/side 10 feet away at all times, nice flat bike loop, flat run through the town, leaves loads of time to do a few more

don't plan on this one anyway, not happening in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Pat 36059

Still here looking anyway.. 4 months on :D

Has anyone any experience of the Athlone Tri? I've got Tri Athy booked and will be doing the Waterford Hook or by Crook too.

Tri athy is a good event , But 2 years ago we had to hang around all day for the off, Didn't go last year and not sure on this year. Try the hook was very rough swim last year, Athlone Tri in Coosan point was excellent event.

Advertisement