Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in film / tv (sound)

Options
  • 27-10-2016 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hiya,

Just looking into what I'm gonna do when I graduate college (in Film school) and I could use some advice.

I'm looking to work in sound (either live sound or post production) but I'm really torn between working a job I love with long hours (say working as a freelance sound designer or foley artist) and working a less challenging and less creative job at a TV studio under contract. (from which I've heard has set hours and less overtime)

Being able to have a stable job seems interesting to me (working under contract), but I'd also like to work a more creatively demanding job (which often falls under the category 'freelance' work.

Anyone have any thoughts of jobs I could find that merge the best of both worlds? Or is anyone working in the sound-field as a freelancer and getting by ok financially?

Thanks,
    J
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does it really have to be one or the other?

Coming fresh out of college you're going to be somewhat of an unknown to an employer. Working in a more stable job would allow you to build up savings and get a feel for actually working in the industry. A piece of paper from a college is only half the equation to looking good to employers, the next stage is getting valuable experience.

You've got plenty of time, your opinions and expectations may change once you're in the workforce. So working for someone that can give you the experience and a wage while you get a better feel for your industry would be good. Then in a few years from now you can decide what you actually want to do, it will also help you build the contacts you need and open up more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭JaneWillow

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right, I should just try a few things and see what works for me. Thanks. J

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cocqcigrues

Keep your options open as well, I know you want to focus on film but as a sound designer there are opportunities in other areas (such as sound design for theater or helping out with recording and editing podcasts, for example) that you can look into. Any experience you can gain doing jobs in sound will look great on a resume, so don't be too picky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cocqcigrues

Keep your options open as well, I know you want to focus on film but as a sound designer there are opportunities in other areas (such as sound design for theater or helping out with recording and editing podcasts, for example) that you can look into. Any experience you can gain doing jobs in sound will look great on a resume, so don't be too picky!

Advertisement