Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much will be claim go up?

Options
  • 27-10-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,

I had a small accident yesterday with a car and the damage is 2000 euro. I am only 21 insured on my dads name, it was 1500 before, how much will it be now?

Desperate for some answers

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well your dad will enjoy probably somewhere between 500 to 2000 increase in his premium yearly (more if he used NCB and don't have NCB protection) assuming that you are the one who caused the accident and that the insurance company don't conclude he was fronting for you (if he was) and cancels the policy outright. In the end the cost of 2k EUR is only car damage; the real cost comes if personal injuries comes into play which will basically start beyond 10k EUR and rapidly go up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JaySH123

So your saying that both mine and my dads insurance will go up from 1500, to 3500 at least? It was me who caused the accident and I took full blame, not sure what to do, either use my insurance or pay for it myself, but I am a student and dont have that kind of cash

There was no injury to the other person, no issues there, simply revered into her car while parked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

JaySH123 wrote: »
    So your saying that both mine and my dads insurance will go up from 1500, to 3500 at least? It was me who caused the accident and I took full blame, not sure what to do, either use my insurance or pay for it myself, but I am a student and dont have that kind of cash
    Does your Dad have two policies(ie one for his own car,and one for your car)?

Vandriver, he does. One for his own car and the a separate one for mine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

JaySH123 wrote:
    There was no injury to the other person, no issues there, simply revered into her car while parked

So the car you reversed into was empty? If so can you not just offer to pay for the damage without involving the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are they not both your dad's policies? Yes they both will increase as the question the insurance company asks is have you had any claims, the policy it was on doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Any way you could pay for the damage yourself and not go through the insurance? I know €2,000 is a lot of money, but depending on what your policy excess is, it might be worth looking into it.

Yes the car was empty, but I dont really have 2000 to spend, but If its the best way to go? I might be able to try something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

JaySH123 wrote:
    Yes the car was empty, but I dont really have 2000 to spend, but If its the best way to go? I might be able to try something

If the other person is agreeable it is the best way to go as the insurance loading will not just be for one year and will be a multiple of the repair cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Credit union loan or even a friends and family arrangement. If it costs you 2000EUR in cash to the other party, your loan interest might only be in the single digits, so say 8% and your total repayment is 2160EUR. That 160 you pay on top of the 2000EUR principal will be significantly less than your insurance hike and you'd pay it off in under a year no problem.

I'd wager most people are better off taking out a loan for any accident that doesn't involve injuries as your insurance hike will be multitudes of even a high bank loan.

Also, I'm curious how you had two insurance policies on the same car?

Fair enough guys, really appreciate the answers. I will just go get a loan or family arrangement to pay the 2000. Again, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you offer to pay then you should get a receipt to make sure they're not adding a few hundred on top of the actual cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

biko wrote: »
    If you offer to pay then you should get a receipt to make sure they're not adding a few hundred on top of the actual cost.

If someone crashed into my car and started that I'd be going through insurance, you're being done a favour by not going through the insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hi guys,

I had a small accident yesterday with a car and the damage is 2000 euro. I am only 21 insured on my dads name, it was 1500 before, how much will it be now?

Desperate for some answers

Thanks

I'd expect some hard questions from Aviva if you go through the insurance.

This is clearly a case of fronting ie your dad insuring a second vehicle to get you on the road cheaper. I'm not judging by the way, I don't agree with the practice but that's a story for another day.

Aviva are HEAVILY clamping down on the practice and went so far as to recently issue letters warning policy holders of the perils and possible consequences of fronting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

OP, I'll try and be informative and not judgemental in any way. Let's see how we can get out of this as best we can.

Firstly, you don't have an insurance policy for this incident, your dad does. If it becomes a claim under the policy, he will have to declare it to current and potential insurers, you will have to declare to potential insurers that you had an accident going forward.

If you are 100% sure there is no possibility of an injury claim, try and settle privately if you can. Do not try and cheapskate the 3rd party by saying you know someone who can fix his vehicle for half the price etc., it is his option to get it repaired where he wants, once it's reasonable.

If you get in to confrontation and he has your dad's insurance details, he may approach them directly for compensation. Then the problem begins if they feel your dad has breached policy conditions by not notifying them earlier of the incident. They will probably investigate to see if they can establish fronting, which is illegal.

Best of luck

Advertisement