Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim Ireland and Triathlon Ireland announce unique partnership

Options
  • 27-10-2016 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Swim Ireland and Triathlon Ireland announce unique partnership
    In a unique partnership, two of Ireland’s leading organisations are co-operating closely to make their sports more accessible to all. Swim Ireland and Triathlon Ireland are launching a new dual-membership that will allow members of each organisation access a wider range of activities in each other’s sports.

I'm delighted to see this news!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Lots of benefits for both sports. We get better swimmers entering our events- including hopefully keeping a lot of talented ex-teenage swimmers in a sporting environment. There's a huge drop-off around age 18/19, after years of early mornings following the black line, this will hopefully give new challenges.

For triathletes looking for focus over the winter months, there's a busy Masters Swimming gala calander. Worth keeping an eye on Irish Masters Swimming for details. In particular, the National LC Masters Champs are on in Limerick at the beginning of March, its a very good event.

After that, there are a multitude of quality OW races throughout the summer. Non-wetsuit, handicapped times, guaranteed to improve your OW scrum capabilities! Great fun too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I noticed the joint license when I logged in to TI next week, was actually meant to pm you to see what it was about. Considering going for that - might get me out doing some proper ow swims next summer, at last. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

"Races open to Special Members

Most Open Water Races are open to Special Members, but please be aware that not all races are open to Special Membership, such as the D n Laoghaire Harbour Race and Dublin City Liffey Swim so you will need to check with race organisers for sign up procedures." - SI website

It would seem that SI aren't offering full membership whereas TI are, which is a pity.

cart man wrote: »
    "Races open to Special Members

Most Open Water Races are open to Special Members, but please be aware that not all races are open to Special Membership, such as the D n Laoghaire Harbour Race and Dublin City Liffey Swim so you will need to check with race organisers for sign up procedures." - SI website

It would seem that SI aren't offering full membership whereas TI are, which is a pity.

DLH and Liffey are the two major races of the OW season, and you need to have done a set number of previous OW races that season and pre-enter (and be given a handicap). Anyone entering them would be a fairly experienced OW swimmer. That clause above looks to my eyes to stop new Triathletes rocking up to the major races expecting automatic entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    DLH and Liffey are the two major races of the OW season, and you need to have done a set number of previous OW races that season and pre-enter (and be given a handicap). Anyone entering them would be a fairly experienced OW swimmer. That clause above looks to my eyes to stop new Triathletes rocking up to the major races expecting automatic entry.

Firstly I think it is a good initiative, I just said it was a pity that for the €75 you get a "full race licence" to Triathlon Ireland worth €60 and a "special membership" to Swim Ireland worth €25 and not the full membership (€39).

SI limit the races and regardless of the ability, experience, whether they have done all the perquisite swims to get the handicap etc if you have this membership type you will not be a full SI member and as such will not be open to swim in those events.

If anyone from 3D or Cork could share the dual membership details they already had in place that would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

cart man wrote: »
    Firstly I think it is a good initiative, I just said it was a pity that for the €75 you get a "full race licence" to Triathlon Ireland worth €60 and a "special membership" to Swim Ireland worth €25 and not the full membership (€39).

SI limit the races and regardless of the ability, experience, whether they have done all the perquisite swims to get the handicap etc if you have this membership type you will not be a full SI member and as such will not be open to swim in those events.

If anyone from 3D or Cork could share the dual membership details they already had in place that would be great

AFAIK 3D have a dedicated 3D Masters club and so membership of that club qualifies you for full SI membership.

This special membership is nothing new by the looks of it. They have been offering a special membership with the same restrictions before the TI partnership.

So anyone wanting a full SI membership will still need to go through an SI affiliated club.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Does anyone know are all the competitors in the galas the top level? Like swimmers as kids, tumble turns etc?
    Or is it like tri where there is all abilities
    I would like to give it a go but I only learned to swim properly(kinda but not tumble turning) in the last few years and would imagine I would be dragging up the rear not very gracefully, I would be happy to go if I wasnt the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    Does anyone know are all the competitors in the galas the top level? Like swimmers as kids, tumble turns etc?
    I would like to give it a go but I only learned to swim properly(kinda but not tumble turning) in the last few years and would imagine I would be dragging up the rear not very gracefully, I would be happy to go if I wasnt the only one

I was up in the NAC during the Celtic Masters last week and from what I could see there were all sorts. Just looking through the results link confirms that. Everything from 60s 100m to +90s 100m times in the Mens events.

gerfmurphy wrote: »

You won't be the only one touch turning, in fact you don't have to use the dive blocks if you prefer a push start from the pool. Swim Ireland have been pushing a "swim for life" agenda for a while now, and part of that includes all ages and abilities welcome at Masters galas.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Thanks for the info.
    As long as its a bit of a mixed bunch sounds perfect.
    One thing that I like about tri is it is so mixed and inclusive.

Diving in would be a bit of an issue alright didnt even think of that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement