Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Danny Healy-Rae criticises use of electric cars

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus. wrote: »
    What? I (naturally) asked regarding the topic of this thread. Someone decided to talk about something else. I pointed that out.

But regarding the topic of the actual thread, Healy Rae is correct. EV cars are not practical in Ireland. For years they've been saying they were going to set up more charge points but they haven't. In fact Bob Flavin said they've started charging for certain ones that were supposed to be free.

If you think an electric car is convenient in the boglands of Ireland then you need to get out and around the Country a bit more Sir.

Youre a waffler on the scale of Healy Ray . You know full well the question you asked was answered.You had to delete the answer to quote the part you put in. Now youre just going down the deflect route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Well it is if you go back a few years and remember how they were saying that at this point in time EV cars would be all the rage. Their predictions were considerably out so perhaps we shouldn't hold our breath for their predictions about the relatively near future.

Could you be a bit more specific? Who said this? What kind of growth were they predicting by the end of 2016?

Genuine questions, not rhetorical. Just not sure who "they" refers to in the case of the past and current claims.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Could you be a bit more specific? Who said this? What kind of growth were they predicting by the end of 2016?Genuine questions, not rhetorical. Just not sure who "they" refers to in the case of the past and current claims.

Rhetorical answer: They. No I don't have links.

But its not caught on as much as was thought has it? (Casual question, non-scientific)
    Youre a waffler on the scale of Healy Ray . You know full well the question you asked was answered.You had to delete the answer to quote the part you put in. Now youre just going down the deflect route.

It can be annoying though when you ask a simple one line question relating to the OP and someone answers about the Ozone layer.

It can be annoying though when you ask a simple one line question relating to the OP and someone answers about the Ozone layer.

and there you go again.

Here, I'll help you.

This was my reply
    That they only have a range of 100km. There isnt just 1 type.

It's like saying all petrol cars have a range of 500km

The relevant part of ceegee's reply
    ceegee wrote: »
    He also said you couldnt do a return journey from Sneem to Caherdaniel in an electric car - a 42km round trip (also incorrect)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

degsie wrote: »

Danny healy are is one of the more alert people in the Dail. AT least he sticks to his views and is not another little yes man.

Danny healy are is one of the more alert people in the Dail. AT least he sticks to his views and is not another little yes man.

So the fact that his views are wrong yet he sticks to theis a good thing?

Screw learning, thats for losers and yes men.

The relevant part of ceegee's reply

I think you need to take it easy Guy. The whole part that preceded it was irrelevant so chill out.

Again, I ask you honestly if you'd drive an EV car if you lived in the bogs of Kerry?

• Advertisement

I think you need to take it easy Guy. The whole part that preceded it was irrelevant so chill out.

Again, I ask you honestly if you'd drive an EV car if you lived in the bogs of Kerry?

and I think you need to stop deflecting. You asked, you got an answer.Forget the irrelevant part and respond to the relevant part.

My post had no irrelevant part in it yet you ignored that too.

You're like a dog with a bone man. Folk should just read questions before they answer with irrelevant stuff. You can't answer my question and that's fair enough. I wouldn't drive an EV car down there either so I don't blame you. Healy Rae was at least right about that.

I'm away :)

You're like a dog with a bone man. Folk should just read questions before they answer with irrelevant stuff. You can't answer my question and that's fair enough. I wouldn't drive an EV car down there either so I don't blame you. Healy Rae was at least right about that.

:rolleyes: Is it really that hard to be wrong? Deflect,deflect , deflect till the person gives up is it? Or are you just not use to people calling you on your crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

And and and and and and and...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I agree, You would need to be a total fool to buy one of those EV yokes for kerry. Shur there ain't chargers around Dublin never mind the arse end of kerry, I'd say put them EV in with the voting machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Why are EVs subject to motor tax?

Post-2008 vehicles are taxed based on CO2 emissions, since EVs don't burn fossil fuels (at least directly) then based on this logic, they shouldn't be taxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

dfeo wrote: »
    Why are EVs subject to motor tax?

Post-2008 vehicles are taxed based on CO2 emissions, since EVs don't burn fossil fuels (at least directly) then based on this logic, they shouldn't be taxed.

The theory goes that they use the road and hence 'motor tax' would be used for said roads, but it isn't. Given the incentives and breaks available for EV, your overall tax liability is negligible anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Someone who sticks to their views cannot be trusted to make good decisions.

It's not a virtue, it's a failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

To be fair to the man, while we do need some brighter people in the Dáil, we also need some brighter people working in our media. I can't skim read the headlines of our main papers any day without seeing glaring errors, never mind the gibberish reported as fact within the articles.

KILGARVAN (healy rae central) to Caherdaniel is 60km of winding road, so on that point I'd be quite happy to share his reservations about just hopping into an EV and expecting a roundtrip without hassle.

The local texaco in Caherdaniel is... basic.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.7702335,-10.0993905,3a,75y,227.36h,89.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl13u5QQ554GAsbSxJgT1FQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I mean, if people are going to laugh at the nuclear testing = ozone hole thing, why not roll around in the same fits of laughter at the "clean diesel, it's so environmental we should levy petrol" Greens? They are all spinning fvking fairy stories about the environment as far as I can see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

To be fair to the man, while we do need some brighter people in the Dáil, we also need some brighter people working in our media. I can't skim read the headlines of our main papers any day without seeing glaring errors, never mind the gibberish reported as fact within the articles.

KILGARVAN (healy rae central) to Caherdaniel is 60km of winding road, so on that point I'd be quite happy to share his reservations about just hopping into an EV and expecting a roundtrip without hassle.

The local texaco in Caherdaniel is... basic.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.7702335,-10.0993905,3a,75y,227.36h,89.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl13u5QQ554GAsbSxJgT1FQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I mean, if people are going to laugh at the nuclear testing = ozone hole thing, why not roll around in the same fits of laughter at the "clean diesel, it's so environmental we should levy petrol" Greens? They are all spinning fvking fairy stories about the environment as far as I can see!

I'd say it's the profitability of the Kilgarvan filling station he's more worried about
    Screenshot_20161027_205541.png

Did they decide at one stage that there was meant to be a hole in the ozone layer?
    And has that theory being retained or discarded?

• Advertisement

Part of me sincerely hopes that one day to hold office as a Minister you'll actually need a background in the subject matter or at the very least real world experience. Imagine a Finance Minster who held an MBA (Our current minister has a BA and H.Dip in Teaching), a Health Minister with a Management Degree (Our current minister has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism) or perhaps a Minster for Trade with global enterprise skills (Our current minister has a BA degree in History and Politics)

So, to round off, some of the top Ministers in this country have practically zero real world experience and have an education below Masters level. People do realise that pretty much makes you (laughably) unemployable in the real world for similar corporate positions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

ironclaw wrote: »
    Part of me sincerely hopes that one day to hold office as a Minister you'll actually need a background in the subject matter or at the very least real world experience. Imagine a Finance Minster who held an MBA (Our current minister has a BA and H.Dip in Teaching),

Broadly agree however I think Noonan has been one of the finest Ministers of Finance we have ever had and has done exceptionally well given the hand dealt and current economic situation.

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Broadly agree however I think Noonan has been one of the finest Ministers of Finance we have ever had and has done exceptionally well given the hand dealt and current economic situation.

Doesn't change the fact that he's dangerously under qualified for the job and as a result we have to pay millions to consultation firms in the background to do the job and him just act as a figure head. I'm not saying they must sit down and run the business themselves, but it would really help if they had even had a notion of economics, corporate structure, planning and strategy. Departments should be run as businesses with the goal of at least breaking even and that starts from the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

That said, Dr. James Reilly was probably one of the worst ministers for health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Yeah, their vendetta against nuclear and unrealistic expectations of renewables places them firmly in the evidence-free camp in my view. Though at least they don't invoke the supernatural.

Who in Irish politics actually adopts policy from an evidence base though? Cherry picking and confirmation bias rules, and where they don't, it's God that rules.

Though at least they don't invoke the supernatural.
    Ah sure didn't the quare fella himself dupe them into the diesel thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Squatter wrote: »
    Or brighter voters?

In fairness to Dingus Healy-Rae, he only put his name forward for election. We need to blame the 9,991 cretins who decided that he was the besht man for the job of representing them up in Dublin.

EDIT - maybe the mods might merge this thread with: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057593737&page=15?

It's almost as bad as the Dubs who continually voted for BBBBertie :rolleyes:

Even the ****tiest EVs have a range more than 100km. Build the infrastructure and people will drive them.

Now, if he were to argue that charging an electric car off a grid that runs on fossil fuels still damages the environment, he might have a point. But then he'd have to admit that fossil fuels cause climate change, when in fact we know that God causes climate change.

You can save the enviornment with electric cars but if you look at the carbon footprint of making EV batteries and discarding older cars it's a lot worse for the enviornment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yo soy carlos

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You can save the enviornment with electric cars but if you look at the carbon footprint of making EV batteries and discarding older cars it's a lot worse for the enviornment.

Healey Ray probably hasn't a clue about the ozone layer but who does who are spoofing on here.What we do know is that diesel cars are the worst polluters but who enabled them to dominate the market but the great leader of the Green party himself.Which of the smartness on here derided him but then again he's not from Kerry is he.
    Anyone with even a modicum of knowledge on cars would have in 09 been promoting gas as the perfect clean fuel but when one thinks of the Shell mmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Whatever about the auld lad Jackie or his other son Michael, Danny is purely there on name recognition and is making a laughing stock of his family name & voters.
    He's like the comedy half-hour to keep the other TD's entertained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Latest electric cars are fantastic, especially the Nissan Leaf. Looks great, very conventional and easy to live with. I see loads of them on the roads now so obviously they're doing lots right. Looking forward to the new model and well done Nissan for being so progressive.

Healey Ray probably hasn't a clue about the ozone layer but who does who are spoofing on here.What we do know is that diesel cars are the worst polluters but who enabled them to dominate the market but the great leader of the Green party himself.Which of the smartness on here derided him but then again he's not from Kerry is he.
    Anyone with even a modicum of knowledge on cars would have in 09 been promoting gas as the perfect clean fuel but when one thinks of the Shell mmmmmm

I presume when you say gas you mean petrol?

Advertisement