Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade for a 4yo PC?

Options
  • 27-10-2016 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC (though as a complete newb still 4 years on, I'm not sure what) to play the likes of BF on decent settings, though maxed out would be class, and for it to be somewhat future proof in the near future.

Within reason I don't mind dropping a few hundred if it will make a big difference. Other than gaming I've had plain sailing with his PC for everything else.

Don't mind holding out a little until black friday sales or whatever:

ASUS DRW-24B5ST bare
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9
    BitFenix Merc Beta
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155
    ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, Sockel 1155, mATX
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 Coolstream Edition, 2GB GDDR5
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD
    Macho Processer cooler

Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd say an RX480 8GB or GTX1060 6GB would be plenty at around €250 starting prices, no issues really running most games at 1080p ultra. Old card should get you around €60-70 of that back.

Next step up to guarantee staying on top of ultra settings for a few years at 1080p would be the GTX1070, but it's a significant chunk more expensive (starting at €420ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

And would a graphics card be all I'd really need to upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

cefh17 wrote: »
    And would a graphics card be all I'd really need to upgrade?

Yes, pretty much. It's a old card and only 2GB or memory which would hold it back a RX 480 8GB would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Thanks for your replies, I'll look into getting some of the ones listed above, leaning towards the one I can count on lasting a good while

Advertisement