Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small claims agains Apple

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

Good work didn't think you had a hope, get the Apple care on it now.

Why oh why would you give that bunch of rip off merchants even more money just to be able to claim your bog standard statutory rights?

Chiparus wrote: »
    Apple have put me through the ringer as well, they have a program to replace the battery on certain iPhone 6 models, I sent mine to Apple in early December, I called in late December and they could not find what happened to it. 10 days later after numerous calls they admitted it has been given to someone else, this week they have promised to send me a new phone , but I have had no emails confirming this nor any shipping confirmations since they said this on Monday 9th.

I really do not know what to do.

Small Claims procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The lack of a dedicated Apple store is a real bummer to be honest. When I lived in CA I thought that Apple devices were significantly better and a lot of it was down to the customer service. If anything went wrong you could pop in to the local Apple store and have it taken care of immediately.

I have a 7 plus as well and I do wonder if it's worth spending the 1k+ for it over here. Over there it was a no brainer but I'm not so sure anymore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The lack of a dedicated Apple store is a real bummer to be honest. When I lived in CA I thought that Apple devices were significantly better and a lot of it was down to the customer service. If anything went wrong you could pop in to the local Apple store and have it taken care of immediately.

I have a 7 plus as well and I do wonder if it's worth spending the 1k+ for it over here. Over there it was a no brainer but I'm not so sure anymore.

Of all the reasons to not buy something that would be the least of them. Do Samsung, HTC etc have dedicated shops? The customer support would be my priority, and that is normally excellent from Apple.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Of all the reasons to not buy something that would be the least of them. Do Samsung, HTC etc have dedicated shops? The customer support would be my priority, and that is normally excellent from Apple.

They don't but my point was they have them in the US and many major cities which makes the price point a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Samsung have a shop in Dundrum.

Ìt's bog standard at best. It's a ridiculously expensive product with a huge markup and anti-competitive practises surrounding repair. Within the first year or two Apple are probably a little above average in terms of assistance, after that you're on your own.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ìt's bog standard at best. It's a ridiculously expensive product with a huge markup and anti-competitive practises surrounding repair. Within the first year or two Apple are probably a little above average in terms of assistance, after that you're on your own.

Its far from bog standard. Most people on the apple devices forum seem to find it a very good experience, as I have most of the times I've used it.

Its far from bog standard. Most people on the apple devices forum seem to find it a very good experience, as I have most of the times I've used it.

This is Apple's greatest achievement. I don't know how they've done it and frankly you have to admire them for it, but somehow they've convinced an entire market segment they're not ripping them off.

Firstly a laptop or phone that costs what they charge should never go wrong. The odd thing is though, almost every Apple user you ask has used Apple's service at some point. Okay perhaps people own a lot of Apple products, one is bound to go wrong. When they do it seems it has to go away for a period of time. The alternative seems to be to spend even more money on an extended warranty.

This is pretty bog standard and one could even say, well look they're expensive but good, but the stuff is junk. The build quality and components going into their kit these days are bog standard at best. There have been law suits against Apple showing they are anti-repair. They want everyone dealing with them and them only which is anti-competitive and very poor service.

Now to be fair to Apple, the service offered by so many retailers (especially of electronics) is so poor they look half decent when they get it back inside a week. This is at least something they could hang their hat on it one wasn't paying 2 or 3 times as much for a similar product.

Apple's target market aren't people who throw the term "rip off" around frequently. Their products work, the Mac/iPhone ecosystem is second to none, and they make consistently reliable and well built products.

This argument has been done to death but I defy you to physically hold a 7 plus alongside a pixel/s7 edge/g5 and tell me the latter all don't feel like cheap plastic in comparison. I had used android my whole life until about three years ago and as it turned out once I didn't have the time I had back in the day to spend hours perusing phone specs and prices looking for the "best deal" and just needed a phone that worked 100% for work and family the iPhone was a no brainer.

Granted my switch was made in the US where iPhones are ubiquitous, iMessage is the standard rather than whatsapp,money flows a lot more freely and LTE was the norm everywhere which brings me back to my original point which is is it worth the money over here. I would probably say yes purely because nothing else on the market is worth it. I will only ever buy flagship phones and nothing in the last couple of years has come close to the Apple plus phones.

• Advertisement

I can't speak to the iOS, MAC OS point. It's personal preference and a closed ecosystem. It seems to engender rabid fanboism but putting that aside there is no denying it's anti-competitive to not allow an OS to be licenced for other hardware manufactures. Perhaps the argument can be made on iOS but their laptops are off the shelf components manufactured by Intel and AMD in the main. Apple no longer make a different platform like they used to when on motorola silicon.

Specifically on their laptops, they aren't even well made. On phones, not a big fan there - my HTC M7 is still rocking along and that's what I tend to think of as a good product not something that needs replacing every two years due to the battery dying. I'll happily concede the point that apple products are polished to perfection, the finish, the packaging - all fantastic. However I stand over the term 'bog-standard' in relation to their service levels.

My last android phone was actually an M7 too and it served me very well so I can't disagree with you there. Still have it in the drawer and it works fine. Back when the selection was between the M7/S5/5s it was the best choice IMO.

Regarding Apple being anti-competitive - of course they are! They are a business and their primary goal is to make money. If any other phone company could pull off what Apple have with a custom OS they'd be tripping over themselves to implement it.

On the laptop point - I suppose we have to agree to disagree. I do believe that Macbooks are the best laptop you can buy with someone else's money. In my case work paid for it and I really find the build quality, keyboard, trackpad and battery life to be top notch. Now maybe had I forked out the 2500 quid for it out of my own pocket my standards would be a bit higher but as it stands I have zero complaints. Having said that the resale value on the Macbooks is phenomenal, you could recoup 70% of your investment years later if needs be. No other laptop even comes close in that regard.

No fanboism here - do you think I or anyone else enjoy forking out 4 figures for a phone? I was waiting with baited breath for the Pixel and it was a piece of crap. The day a reasonably competitive flagship comes along I'll snap it up but as it stands if I'm going to be spending 700 quid on a top of the line phone I'll happily stump up the extra and get an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Got sent a replacement phone from Apple today, 6 weeks after i sent it in to them, unfortunately they sent me a pink and white one .

I sent in a space grey one!

There seems to be mass confusion in their repair department/customer support.

jarvis wrote: »
    I emailed back because I recalled in the last chat he said I was 1 day out of warranty. I received it Oct 3 and reported Oct 15. So I asked in the email was it an 11 day warranty. I await how reply. Maybe he's taking sept 9th as the first day but surely it's only from when I receive it?

That sounds like US style warranty; Perhaps the person you were chatting with was unaware of EU rules (very likely I would think).

Apple have a dreadful reputation for consumer rights. I would go straight to small claims and get your money back.

That sounds like US style warranty; Perhaps the person you were chatting with was unaware of EU rules (very likely I would think).

Apple have a dreadful reputation for consumer rights. I would go straight to small claims and get your money back.

What, after Apple fixed it and OP is happy?

Advertisement