Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payscale query

Options
  • 27-10-2016 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi guys,

Now I have no idea how you work out or who you find out from what payscale you are on for teaching. Anyways I;m guessing I'm on the new entrant payscale as the first bit of subbing I did as a qualified teacher was in 2012 at the beginning of the academic year.

Anyway I'm secondary trained and as part of my 4 year degree with dip incorporated I did a days subbing in a primary school on the 15th Jan 08 - I know that date exactly because its on my Details of Service History.

I was wondering should I be on the old payscale and get my allowance for my Masters as I'd be on the books before 2011?

On the phone to payroll they say you needed to be qualified? I've heard of people getting the old scale by having done subbing before their qualification so was wondering if anyone on here is in the know.

Thanks in advance,
    Mendoza

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I definitely got on the old pay scale for unqualified subbing. But my subbing was secondary and I'm a secondary teacher if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If it's part of your degree, then its placement. If it's paid work, then its unqualified. By all means ask and fight your case, but gut feeling is that you won't get a favourable response

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mendoza

Well the placement was in a primary school as part of a secondary 4 year qualification.

I'd spend about an hour with two different classes a day but one day one of the teachers was sick so they had me fill in. Got paid for it, and it is on my statement of service.

I'm just wondering could I get my union to fight it for me or something as I get no luck out of them on the phone and I hear loads of people on here saying their on old payscales.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

I am in the same position.

I qualified in 2011 but had done substitution work in a Primary School and also paid supervision in a Secondary School in 2010.

When I rang payroll (athlone) they said that I had to have been paid by the department rather than the school itself. I was not familiar enough with the system to argue my case and it's only in retrospect that this seems unfair.

I would also like to know if I would have a case for the Union to make for being on the old pay scale. If anyone can shed some light please!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lightyears13

dory wrote: »
    I definitely got on the old pay scale for unqualified subbing. But my subbing was secondary and I'm a secondary teacher if that makes any difference.

Hiya, do you mind me asking was it a VEC or secondary you did the unqualified subbing in?

I had my own rpt contract for a full year in 2010/11 and again the following Jan-June after a retirement.. I was unqualified at the time. THE department tells me that I'm not eligible for pre-2011 payscale as it was a secondary school. However, if this had been VEC then I would qualify for pre-2011. RIDICULOUS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Hiya, do you mind me asking was it a VEC or secondary you did the unqualified subbing in?

I had my own rpt contract for a full year in 2010/11 and again the following Jan-June after a retirement.. I was unqualified at the time. THE department tells me that I'm not eligible for pre-2011 payscale as it was a secondary school. However, if this had been VEC then I would qualify for pre-2011. RIDICULOUS!

get a statement of service from VEC and send to payroll as urgent. it should be amended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

They have a point - in a VEC at the time, you would have been considered qualified with a degree only. In voluntary secondary schools you had to have a Dip.

Advertisement