Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiots in funeral procession today

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

How long did the leg shields last filtering at dispatch speed? Maybe you rode in formation at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Are burn out's legal?

I'm not a lawyer, but on the grounds of "what is not forbidden is legal" I'd say yes, provided the rider remains in control of the machine, does not obstruct the public road (more than the funeral does) and does not cause a public nuisance.

Wish I'd had the opportunity to meet and know Aidan, a superlative guy by all accounts, due to kids I finished up with MAG Ireland and the rideout scene few years prior. RIP.

Love the pic Maki, at least you desisted from the crappy tache :) what's the machine? Not much to go on other than the alloys but I'd guess a Yam?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Tzardine wrote:
    Correct. I am sure the people going about their business and using the shops were very appreciative of them though.

Are you be in offended on other people's behalf?

If the lad was into bikes and that then it would be a fitting tribute.

Personally I want my cremated ashes to detour through the Nurburg Ring in a Porsche tuned to 11.
    Regrettably the Vatican insist I be laid to rest in a grave yard the boaring ****es.

You only have to obey their rules if you choose to

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I was at a funeral where there was lads doing burnouts on litre bikes at another graveside. Everyone was ok with it. It's called giving someone a proper send off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Are you be in offended on other people's behalf?

If the lad was into bikes and that then it would be a fitting tribute.

Personally I want my cremated ashes to detour through the Nurburg Ring in a Porsche tuned to 11.
    Regrettably the Vatican insist I be laid to rest in a grave yard the boaring ****es.[/QUOTE]

Really...are you a priest...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

How long did the leg shields last filtering at dispatch speed? Maybe you rode in formation at all times.

They were grand for filtering actually. I never rode in formation, that was for another unit who done ceremonial duties. I was more or less a glorified courier.

Love the pic Maki, at least you desisted from the crappy tache :) what's the machine? Not much to go on other than the alloys but I'd guess a Yam?

Oh I have a few photos of the 80's 'tache if ya want :p

And yes, the bike is a Yamaha XS400. We also had the XS500 too.

After the Yamaha's we went to Kawasaki GT550's, an absolutely cracking bike for courier work. They really were a work horse. I couldn't say enough good things about them.

Then came the worse bikes I've ever rode, the awful Suzuki Bandit 600.

If the GT550 was a work horse then the Bandit was the lame donkey.. Probably a good commuter bike for a learner, but a dreadful bike for anything else.

400375.jpg

Note no motorcycle protective gear except for the helmet and a pair of Frank Thomas gloves I bought myself because the issued gauntlets were crap.. Also notice the leather dispatch bag, they were like an old school bag but very secure.

The package on the back is my son, he was about two there (the photo was taken around 1992).. Well he's 24 now and riding a Suzuki DRZ400sm, he didn't follow me into the defence forces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Been good friends with this lad for 16 years, I don't think the revving or wheel spins were bad form or stupid at all. It's something he himself would of absolutely loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

They were grand for filtering actually. I never rode in formation, that was for another unit who done ceremonial duties. I was more or less a glorified courier.

Oh I have a few photos of the 80's 'tache if ya want :p

And yes, the bike is a Yamaha XS400. We also had the XS500 too.

After the Yamaha's we went to Kawasaki GT550's, an absolutely cracking bike for courier work. They really were a work horse. I couldn't say enough good things about them.

If the GT550 was a work horse then the Bandit was the lame donkey.. Probably a good commuter bike for a learner, but a dreadful bike for anything else.

400375.jpg

Note no motorcycle protective gear except for the helmet and a pair of Frank Thomas gloves I bought myself because the issued gauntlets were crap.. Also notice the leather dispatch bag, they were like an old school bag but very secure.

The package on the back is my son, he was about two there (the photo was taken around 1992).. Well he's 24 now and riding a Suzuki DRZ400sm, he didn't follow me into the defence forces.
    Sorry it's off topic, but when I cracked the water pump cover on my bike I was waiting 5 weeks for a replacement part to arrive so I could fix it. (****ing bikeworld).

A friend and club member had an ex service GT550 lying up. He loaned it to me for the few weeks. Cracking machine. It was painted military green. I was riding through Tallaght village and a kid was eyeballing the bike and his dad said "is that cool? Wave to him." So the kid stands up and salutes! :)

Pedro K wrote: »
    A friend and club member had an ex service GT550 lying up. He loaned it to me for the few weeks. Cracking machine. It was painted military green. I was riding through Tallaght village and a kid was eyeballing the bike and his dad said "is that cool? Wave to him." So the kid stands up and salutes! :)

I wonder who painted it green. So far as I know we only had them in blue and red.

Kids reactions to us in uniform is brilliant. It really delights me every time I get a wave off a child, I love it and always return the wave & you can see by their face you've just made their day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I wonder who painted it green. So far as I know we only had them in blue and red.

Kids reactions to us in uniform is brilliant. It really delights me every time I get a wave off a child, I love it and always return the wave & you can see by their face you've just made their day :)
    As I understood it, this particular bike was actually a police bike, when in service. Whoever had it before my buddy painted it green and stuck on ammo boxes for panniers.

Pedro K wrote: »
    As I understood it, this particular bike was actually a police bike, when in service. Whoever had it before my buddy painted it green and stuck on ammo boxes for panniers.

I get you now.. The cops had the GT550 and GT750 at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Seems Jim Crowley was badly injured at Kempton today.

Biker funeral burnout is part of the proceedings, if you don't know or understand that then ....

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

bladespin wrote: »
    Biker funeral burnout is part of the proceedings, if you don't know or understand that then ....

Then......... ?

Tzardine wrote:
    Then......... ?

They have no idea what being a part of the biking community means, obvious duh.

bladespin wrote: »
    They have no idea what being a part of the biking community means, obvious duh.

I have been riding over 15 years now. The groups that I ride it would not consider it appropriate. Thats just my opinion on it.

Saying that, I can see now that it is done commonly by others and done with good intentions.

I'm at it over 25 years and not doing a burnout at a farewell (or wedding lol) would be considered disrespectful.
    Obviously this lads group fall into this category so I'd guess he would have liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Sorry if I came across a bit harsh, but regulars to the forum here would remember that I (and my mates) went through a particularly rough couple of years when it seemed we'd a funeral almost monthly, even my work mates were raising an eyebrow at the amount of funerals I was attending.

I was very glad to see the back of 2015, horrible c*nt of a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

quote=REM76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

QUOTE=REM76

• Advertisement

I just saw a guy on one this week in Dublin City. A 2002 Bandit 600, military gear on him and the same brown bag as in your photo. The bike had some writing on it identifying it as military but I cant remember exactly what is said.

Are they still using them ?

Seems a long lifespan for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

QUOTE=REM76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

quote REM76

Lads why not just report him for trolling instead of humoring him.
    I just saw a guy on one this week in Dublin City. A 2002 Bandit 600, military gear on him and the same brown bag as in your photo. The bike had some writing on it identifying it as military but I cant remember exactly what is said.

Are they still using them ?

Seems a long lifespan for one.

I think there's two in service (when they're roadworthy) and there's no writing on them, but its possible you did see one.

An 'acquaintance' might have had an unofficial traffic light GP against a Bandit 1200 recently enough, the thing couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Tzardine wrote: »
    You are probably aware that the young lad killed recently in Dublin 15 was buried today.

The clip below popped up on my facebook page

Sorry had to cut the clip as I'm new user.

I think its great that so many motorcyclists turned out today, I imagine that a lot did not even actually know the deceased but came out for support.

Why does there always have to be a few clowns though that give the rest a bad name. You would think that considering how the lad died, they would be a bit more respectful.

I think your attitude (and of many folk) of "respectful" is learned from going to funeral masses in the church where silence is seen as respect for the dead.
    I think the best example of a real tribute is when Marco Simoncelli was killed in Sepang and at the next race in Valencia they had all the bikes from all the classes do a lap at the same time and then set off fireworks. As his dad Paulo Simoncelli said "he was a noisy guy." He wanted a minute of noise as opposed to a minute of silence which to me seems like a personal send off rather than than the stock 'he was lovely, let's be quiet for a minute and pray for them' line that the priests use at most funerals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Some dont want quiet,they want celebration of their life.
    And who are we to judge.

'Rage, rage against the dying of the light' - Dylan Thomas

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 Gogzey

that is bikers shown support for one another , I seen nothing wrong with one of them doing burn out ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement