Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webserver problem Ubuntu 14.04

Options
  • 27-10-2016 6:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've set up my first web server using Ubuntu. All is ok and the html and php test pages are visible inside and outside of my network. I have opened port 80 and 22.
    My problem is I can't connect to the server using FileZilla. I enter my ip and Ubuntu user and pass but can't connect.
    Am I missing something? Any advice would be great as I'm very frustrated to get stuck at this final hurdle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I enter my ip and Ubuntu user and pass but can't connect.

What is your intended protocol going to be - ftp / sftp? Have you the server setup to receive that protocol (eg. openssh or other.)

Presumably you enter the port too (as well as the ip, user and pass)? 22 is sftp for example.

Assuming you are running it over sftp - Can you ssh into the box? If you can, can you scp a file from local to server?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I must have had one of the settings wrong but now I have access to all the files via sftp using FileZilla.
    I downloaded all my website files to the html folder. When I enter the server ip eg 12.34.56 the index.html which came with Apache loads but no other files load including the index.php file. When I set up the server the test php did load so shouldn't be an issue.
    I deleted index.html and still nothing loads.
    Would I be right in saying the domain doesn't need to be set yet in order for the website to load?
    What's my next step to try and get the website visible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

You don't particularly need the domain to be set up. You should be able to access the website via your servers ip address. If you goto the server ip and add the index.php what does it return? A 404 error? If so, it's most likely just a document root configuration issue - that your web server is serving documents (your php/html) from a folder which is different to where you have your documents (Web site) stored.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The error is HTTP error 500

Cheers for the replies by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When you say no other files load, are you accessing them by direct path (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/index.php) or expecting a directory listing?

If nothing is loading by direct path, and the Apache default index.html is still appearing after deletion - you're working in the wrong htdocs directory.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    When you say no other files load, are you accessing them by direct path (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/index.php) or expecting a directory listing?

If nothing is loading by direct path, and the Apache default index.html is still appearing after deletion - you're working in the wrong htdocs directory.
    Direct path and the index.html is not appearing.
    I was direct copying the entire folder from my current host into my servers www/html and this is causing the issues I think.
    A fresh install of the website script shows folders and files so getting there. Now to do all the settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Directly copying likely included the .htaccess which could cause very random things.

Haven't worked on this since last week but now my issue is I can't delete files or copy new files to the www/html folder. This is when in the gui in Unbuntu or using SFTP and FileZilla.
    When using the Gui and right click the folder all the permissions are greyed out. I'm logged in as admin so I'm confused why I can't do what I want

EDIT: Found the fix, working fine now

Advertisement