Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mercedes B250e

• 27-10-2016 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Had a search for this on the forum and no result..Looks nice but no rapid charge and not enough range. He does say its cheap enough compared to the ICE version. As an ICE driver I'm looking around for a potential purchase in a year or so. Like the look of this but the range and no rapid charge is a turn off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WZF7HGkVTA

sjQ9xd3.png

mEQMSQo.png

fIWbqOn.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

It has all the hallmarks of one of the "compliance cars" that manufacturers produce to be able to operate in California - straight conversion of an existing ICE, no rapid charging, no attempt to market it. It's strange that Mercedes have produced a right-hand drive version. It looks nice enough but the lack of rapid charging is absolutely fatal to it's chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Its crazy isn't it!! I prefer the look of this compared to the Leaf or Zoe.. I wonder how many of them are on the road and how much are they in Ireland? Wouldn't suit me to my needs but may suit a small family or house that needs a second car for local runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Zero on the road in Ireland. They are not sold/supported by MB in Ireland.

Here's the real problem. ICE drivers keep imagining their usage pattern with an EV would mean using it for local runs. The reality is the average EV driver increases their mileage by 50% and shifts most of their driving to the EV. Lack of rapid charging coupled with limited range kneecaps the b250e and would make them very difficult to shift 2nd hand as well.

An i3:
    Gets 60km more real world/EPA (as opposed to fairyland/NEDC) range out of a 2kWh smaller battery (138km range for the b250e vs 200km for the i3)
    Charges on AC at the same 11kW
    Has 50kW CCS rapid charging as standard allowing a 0-80% charge in 25 minutes
    Is quicker to 100km/h by almost a second despite the b250e having a more powerful motor
    Is more agile and fun to drive and has better roadholding
    Has sat-nav as standard
    Is cheaper

The i3 is a purpose-built EV. The B250e doesn't have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It has all the hallmarks of one of the "compliance cars" that manufacturers produce to be able to operate in California - straight conversion of an existing ICE, no rapid charging, no attempt to market it. It's strange that Mercedes have produced a right-hand drive version. It looks nice enough but the lack of rapid charging is absolutely fatal to it's chances.

There is a precedent in the EU for such "compliance cars" as well, as there are CO2 emissions targets that manufacturers have to meet based on the average across their fleet. Also the London congestion charge exemption for BEVs and PHEVs probably helps the RHD market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Here's the real problem. ICE drivers keep imagining their usage pattern with an EV would mean using it for local runs. The reality is the average EV driver increases their mileage by 50% and shifts most of their driving to the EV.l

+1, and exactly what is happening to me . Ill have 50k km on the car after 12 months at this rate !

• Advertisement
Advertisement