Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DEXA Scan

• 27-10-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good place to get a DEXA scan done that doesn't need a doctors referral. Obviously I just want it done for bodyfat % , from what I know they aren't hugely expensive 100 Euro or so and I'd like an accurate bodyfat reading.

I have used skin fold calipers but I don't think they are accurate (Or I'm doing it wrong despite my best efforts and red marks all over me)...I've done a few and it tells me I'm between 8% and 10% bodyfat , I know it's higher and just want an accurate reading...

Thanks lads and lasses!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Requires a referral as it legally has to be prescribed as it'a ionising radiation (albeit a very small dose)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

You can get a Dexa Scan in Drogheda. No referral required.

Maybe there are similar clinics elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

Requires a referral as it legally has to be prescribed as it'a ionising radiation (albeit a very small dose)

More radiation in a flight from Dublin to London I have heard (i.e. a 1 hour flight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

More radiation in a flight from Dublin to London I have heard (i.e. a 1 hour flight)

It's equivalent to 3 hours of background (i.e. being alive). It's not a concern it's just that it still does fall under ionising radiation legislation. Perhaps some clinics will accept self referrals and then have a doctor see you briefly as opposed to a GP referral where you go straight to a radiographer. It would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good place to get a DEXA scan done that doesn't need a doctors referral. Obviously I just want it done for bodyfat % , from what I know they aren't hugely expensive 100 Euro or so and I'd like an accurate bodyfat reading.

I have used skin fold calipers but I don't think they are accurate (Or I'm doing it wrong despite my best efforts and red marks all over me)...I've done a few and it tells me I'm between 8% and 10% bodyfat , I know it's higher and just want an accurate reading...
    The accuracy of dexa scans are overrated imo. It will vary depending on the model calibration of the machine. And even then, it's not a static measurement. You actual BF% will vary over the course of a day and week.

The real question is what are you going to do with the results? Will if affect you training. Is accuracy to 0.1% any more useful than accuracy to 0.5% (baring in mind fluctuations mentioned above).
    If the answer to the above is no then a Bod Pod is probably just as good, and may be more accessible.
    If fact, skins fold with a proper calipers, in the hands of somebody who knows how to use it is viable too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement