Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear to the ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

ganmo wrote: »
    What report?
    I gave you a link please do the same.

Waffle is there quinoa grown in England?
    http://www.worldwatch.org/files/pdf/Livestock%20and%20Climate%20Change.pdf

There is quinoa grown in England, yes. Not in large quantities yet. I'm more talking about the feasibility when I mention this. Vegans would prefer that no one's livelihood is destroyed, but rather shifted towards crop farming.
    Taking a puppy away from it's mother at a young age is not natural.
    Neutering a dog is not natural.
    Putting a coller and lead on a dog is not natural.
    Locking a dog up for most of the day is not natural.
    Scooping the poop is not natural.

But hey, all dog owners do these things because that's the reality of owning a dog.
    Same for farmers. There are so called 'unnatural things' we have to do too. That's our reality.

I suppose they're not natural things no. However, we treat dogs as companions and not as produce. We do these things to give the dog a good life as much as it is to enhance our own lives. Farmers do it for money. You care for animals because it makes for better produce. Ultimately the animals are killed so I don't really see a valid comparison here. I don't want to make anyone sound evil here. I honestly don't think that way. It's very much a supply and demand thing and it's something we learn is correct to do from birth. I'm just asking for open mindedness about these issues, the facts about our health, the environmental impact and the ethics of raising animals for slaughter.
    Sorry i thought you ate twiggs, grass and leaves personally. Most of our fruit and veg comes in a weekly box, most of which is produced in the deep south without the need for air miles thanks to modern growhouses. There is fook all soya grown in the UK as it's unviable due to climate and no one wants to spend the 200 million or so required to get a variety that is suitable. The need to be 5 years from a cereal crop makes quinoa unviable. Field beans are common but mostly sent to middle east. In ireland your unable to produce the wheats required to produce bread or pasta anway. Cereals get moved on ships and bargess. More co2 air miles efficient than a few pallets on a truck from southern spain or a plane from chile or further a field.
    Irelands climate does not make it suitable for growing crops other than proven staples to human consumption standard.

I don't really see what arguments you are making here that have anything to do with what I'm saying. Kudos to you for growing your own locally, does that not mean we could all be doing that? If certain grains and such need importing then are we all not consuming those?

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/crops/crops/Indigenous-supply-of-plant-based-protein.pdf
    This report by teagasc seems to be encouraging Irish farmers to look at growing plant based proteins such as chickpeas.
    Mooooo wrote: »
    Forced impregnation?? I ai when they are in heat. The bull is then left with the cows for the last few weeks of breeding. I have an Aberdeen angus bull which would be smaller than most and I can tell you ai is definitely more gentle than a 700kg bull driving his rod into a cow when in heat.

The cow doesn't have a say in the matter either way, does she?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Eathrin wrote: »

There is quinoa grown in England, yes. Not in large quantities yet. I'm more talking about the feasibility when I mention this. Vegans would prefer that no one's livelihood is destroyed, but rather shifted towards crop farming.

I suppose they're not natural things no. However, we treat dogs as companions and not as produce. We do these things to give the dog a good life as much as it is to enhance our own lives. Farmers do it for money. You care for animals because it makes for better produce. Ultimately the animals are killed so I don't really see a valid comparison here. I don't want to make anyone sound evil here. I honestly don't think that way. It's very much a supply and demand thing and it's something we learn is correct to do from birth. I'm just asking for open mindedness about these issues, the facts about our health, the environmental impact and the ethics of raising animals for slaughter.

I don't really see what arguments you are making here that have anything to do with what I'm saying. Kudos to you for growing your own locally, does that not mean we could all be doing that? If certain grains and such need importing then are we all not consuming those?

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/crops/crops/Indigenous-supply-of-plant-based-protein.pdf
    This report by teagasc seems to be encouraging Irish farmers to look at growing plant based proteins such as chickpeas.

No more a say than she would if wild, she would be in heat every 3 weeks if healthy and the males in the herd would breed with her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

A cow is served in standing heat, i.e. she's waiting for it. Ever see a bitch in heat? They practically reverse into a dog. A cow will stand there with her ears back like a donkey letting cows/heifers/bulls etc jump on her. Sure, AI is used but it's the same as a bull, just safer in general. It's not rape, it's not unnatural and it's not forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

How could you grow a crop that's totally un suited to the climate in anything but a glasshouse which is already only viable with high value veg or fruits.
    I don't really see what arguments you are making here that have anything to do with what I'm saying. Kudos to you for ignoring the need to chop down rain forest to provide proteins for the vegan diet or waste vast amounts of water in the areas it's in such short supply to grow your required nuts content and still claim the moral high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

That's a magazine article not a report. The authors give no stats but they theorise that the accepted figures haven't accounted for x y and z one of which was breathing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

We have no concept of existence if we never existed. No being wants to exist only to be killed or enslaved. There's really no such thing as a humane death in agriculture. At least wild animals have freedom.

Humane - "having or showing compassion or benevolence"

Freedom is sometimes overrated, compare the life of a cow to that of a buffalo/wildebeest etc. It's all very nice until the bears, wolves and lions get hungry. A bolt in the back of the head that they never see coming is a nice way to go compared to getting chased to exhaustion, hamstringing and suffocation.
    It's not all butterflies and bunny rabbits leading a comfortable life until they die of old age and is a wild animal ever truly free? They have no choice over much of their life.

There was a report out recently (didn't read it) that if america turned vegan it would only reduce national emissions by 2% and agri emissions by less than 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Forced impregnation + Taking away of their babies + taking their milk meant for their babies is not natural.

With regards baby formula, you have vegan breast milk donors and soy formula too for lactose intolerant babies. Some doctors may say soy formula is not appropriate for a particular child so dairy based formula may be necessary if a donor can't be found. This wouldn't require a very big dairy industry at all.

Nearly all the food I eat can be grown in Ireland, without polytunnels or greenhouses. If it can't, I probably don't eat any more of it than you do.

We have no concept of existence if we never existed. No being wants to exist only to be killed or enslaved. There's really no such thing as a humane death in agriculture. At least wild animals have freedom.

Humane - "having or showing compassion or benevolence"

You seem to be relying too much on American vegan websites for your information, do you do any research on Irish farming? I see on another thread you are talking about the amount of water it takes to produce beef in case you haven't noticed we have an abundance if water in Ireland. All vegans sing from the same hymn sheet with plenty lies thrown in, maybe do a little research of your own.

Forced impregnation?? I ai when they are in heat. The bull is then left with the cows for the last few weeks of breeding. I have an Aberdeen angus bull which would be smaller than most and I can tell you ai is definitely more gentle than a 700kg bull driving his rod into a cow when in heat.

It's just vegan drama, if you let a bull off with the cows they'll all stand for him when in heat, vegans can't get to grips with this so they keep harping on about au and rape nonsense.

That's a magazine article not a report. The authors give no stats but they theorise that the accepted figures haven't accounted for x y and z one of which was breathing :rolleyes:

Plus the fact that at least one of them is vegan if not both.

No more a say than she would if wild, she would be in heat every 3 weeks if healthy and the males in the herd would breed with her

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    It's just vegan drama, if you let a bull off with the cows they'll all stand for him when in heat, vegans can't get to grips with this so they keep harping on about au and rape nonsense.
    A cow is served in standing heat, i.e. she's waiting for it. Ever see a bitch in heat? They practically reverse into a dog. A cow will stand there with her ears back like a donkey letting cows/heifers/bulls etc jump on her. Sure, AI is used but it's the same as a bull, just safer in general. It's not rape, it's not unnatural and it's not forced.

Why is AI the same as a bull? It's a human hand being stuck up another animal where it doesn't belong. How the hell is that not unnatural to you?

A human woman wouldn't mind having a person who is not her mate stick their hand up inside her and inseminate her? Lets then take the baby away immediately after birth and then steal her milk meant for her children. Oh and once she can no longer produce enough milk or catches a disease due to her unnatural breast size, it's off to the slaughter.
    How could you grow a crop that's totally un suited to the climate in anything but a glasshouse which is already only viable with high value veg or fruits.
    I don't really see what arguments you are making here that have anything to do with what I'm saying. Kudos to you for ignoring the need to chop down rain forest to provide proteins for the vegan diet or waste vast amounts of water in the areas it's in such short supply to grow your required nuts content and still claim the moral high ground.

It should be VERY well known at this stage that 91% of rainforest destruction is due to animal agriculture. That is, land for grazing and crops such as soybean for feed.

Please read the report below.
    http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/758171468768828889/pdf/277150PAPER0wbwp0no1022.pdf

You're blowing my mind here with your stubbornness. What you are saying is hearsay and not fact at all. How can you sit there and ask me to do my research when you've clearly not done any yourself.

If almonds in California are such a big problem to you, we don't have to eat them! Just like we don't have to eat meat. Don't point at a single crop and try to discredit veganism. This is a massive logical fallacy if I've ever seen one.

I'll just repeat for you what I said before.
    The report you provided states that agriculture is responsible for roughly 31% of all of Ireland's Greenhouse Gas output. We can contend how bad the figure is all day, that doesn't change the fact that any amount of pollution is a bad thing for the planet and the human race.

Please have a read of this UN report which urges a global move to a meat and dairy free diet.
    http://www.resourcepanel.org/reports/assessing-environmental-impacts-consumption-and-production
    Freedom is sometimes overrated, compare the life of a cow to that of a buffalo/wildebeest etc. It's all very nice until the bears, wolves and lions get hungry. A bolt in the back of the head that they never see coming is a nice way to go compared to getting chased to exhaustion, hamstringing and suffocation.
    It's not all butterflies and bunny rabbits leading a comfortable life until they die of old age and is a wild animal ever truly free? They have no choice over much of their life.

There was a report out recently (didn't read it) that if america turned vegan it would only reduce national emissions by 2% and agri emissions by less than 30%.

First, that report sounds like it either doesn't exist, or is total bogus, much like the broccoli report earlier in this thread. I'd very much like to read it if you can find me a link.

Second, I cannot believe you are now telling me that you don't think an animal would value its freedom more than being given a death sentence from the moment its born. The buffalo numbered almost 30 million before European settlers brought their numbers down to about 1000 in the early 20th century. It was the odd animal that became some other animals dinner. Humans are the ones that bring genocide to these creatures. Hypothetically, I don't think you'd appreciate it very much if an alien race enslaved all humans and ensured none lived past childhood. But that would be a nice way to go, sure, you could have been in a car accident or caught in a building fire or any other number of horrible scenarios that are far less likely to occur!
    You seem to be relying too much on American vegan websites for your information, do you do any research on Irish farming? I see on another thread you are talking about the amount of water it takes to produce beef in case you haven't noticed we have an abundance if water in Ireland. All vegans sing from the same hymn sheet with plenty lies thrown in, maybe do a little research of your own.

I do actually do plenty of research on Irish farming and you would find that if you were looking at my previous posts on that other thread :)

If the world had an unlimited supply of water, nothing changes regarding the unethical treatment of animals, the unhealthy nature of the consumption of animal products and the damage done to the environment in the air, in the oceans and on land. This again, is just another logical fallacy, trying to justify something which is morally unjustifiable by picking and choosing. I do not pick and choose. I am looking at the broader picture both in Ireland and on the planet as a whole.

I've probably done far far far more research on this area than you would ever care to. The truth really hurts sometimes and many people would rather ignore it and try to attack character than face any facts. I have not lied once to you and where I provided a figure I've prefaced it by saying that reliable figures are often difficult to get right, however the figures never changed the spirit of the argument one bit.
    Plus the fact that at least one of them is vegan if not both.

Does being vegan mean one's arguments and research are invalid. What about Women's rights activists and African American civil rights activists of the 20th century, were their arguments invalid because of the group they belonged to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Does being vegan mean one's arguments and research are invalid. What about Women's rights activists and African American civil rights activists of the 20th century, were their arguments invalid because of the group they belonged to?

What rights dont you have?

Why is AI the same as a bull? It's a human hand being stuck up another animal where it doesn't belong. How the hell is that not unnatural to you?

A human woman wouldn't mind having a person who is not her mate stick their hand up inside her and inseminate her? Lets then take the baby away immediately after birth and then steal her milk meant for her children. Oh and once she can no longer produce enough milk or catches a disease due to her unnatural breast size, it's off to the slaughter.

It should be VERY well known at this stage that 91% of rainforest destruction is due to animal agriculture. That is, land for grazing and crops such as soybean for feed.

http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/758171468768828889/pdf/277150PAPER0wbwp0no1022.pdf

You're blowing my mind here with your stubbornness. What you are saying is hearsay and not fact at all. How can you sit there and ask me to do my research when you've clearly not done any yourself.

If almonds in California are such a big problem to you, we don't have to eat them! Just like we don't have to eat meat. Don't point at a single crop and try to discredit veganism. This is a massive logical fallacy if I've ever seen one.

The report you provided states that agriculture is responsible for roughly 31% of all of Ireland's Greenhouse Gas output. We can contend how bad the figure is all day, that doesn't change the fact that any amount of pollution is a bad thing for the planet and the human race.

Please have a read of this UN report which urges a global move to a meat and dairy free diet.
    http://www.resourcepanel.org/reports/assessing-environmental-impacts-consumption-and-production

First, that report sounds like it either doesn't exist, or is total bogus, much like the broccoli report earlier in this thread. I'd very much like to read it if you can find me a link.

Second, I cannot believe you are now telling me that you don't think an animal would value its freedom more than being given a death sentence from the moment its born. The buffalo numbered almost 30 million before European settlers brought their numbers down to about 1000 in the early 20th century. It was the odd animal that became some other animals dinner. Humans are the ones that bring genocide to these creatures. Hypothetically, I don't think you'd appreciate it very much if an alien race enslaved all humans and ensured none lived past childhood. But that would be a nice way to go, sure, you could have been in a car accident or caught in a building fire or any other number of horrible scenarios that are far less likely to occur!

I do actually do plenty of research on Irish farming and you would find that if you were looking at my previous posts on that other thread :)

If the world had an unlimited supply of water, nothing changes regarding the unethical treatment of animals, the unhealthy nature of the consumption of animal products and the damage done to the environment in the air, in the oceans and on land. This again, is just another logical fallacy, trying to justify something which is morally unjustifiable by picking and choosing. I do not pick and choose. I am looking at the broader picture both in Ireland and on the planet as a whole.

I've probably done far far far more research on this area than you would ever care to. The truth really hurts sometimes and many people would rather ignore it and try to attack character than face any facts. I have not lied once to you and where I provided a figure I've prefaced it by saying that reliable figures are often difficult to get right, however the figures never changed the spirit of the argument one bit.

What, as a vegan, are you against? The killing of animals for our own consumption?

What rights dont you have?

The animals are the ones not granted rights in this situation. They are extremely vulnerable and we as a species should be ashamed of ourselves for exploiting them.
    What, as a vegan, are you against? The killing of animals for our own consumption?

Yes. It is absolutely and utterly unnecessary. Killing animals is done for pleasure, not for survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Um.....never hear of a smear test, a gynecologist or IVF implantation? A lot of women most certainly have laid back and thought pleasant thoughts while that's going on.
    A cow doesn't mind at all, usually their head is stuck in a bucket of nuts and they couldn't give a toss. A bull would bother them for a full day or two if they were out in the wild.
    Her children? Breasts? It's her calves and an udder, using any other terms is just anthropomorphism. I have to ask where you're getting your facts from, have you ever been on a dairy or suckler farm and seen how the cattle are cared for? Cows are relaxed and happy when being milked, they don't get flashbacks to calves being taken away from them or other such nonsense.
    I assume you meant mastitis when you mention disease - it's not caused by udder size, even animals who have never had a calf can get it. Humans can get it, horses can get it. Dogs and cats can get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

The animals are the ones not granted rights in this situation. They are extremely vulnerable and we as a species should be ashamed of ourselves for exploiting them.

Yes. It is absolutely and utterly unnecessary. Killing animals is done for pleasure, not for survival.

Theres no we here, you have your opinion, dont be trying to force it on others, alot of your arguments are based on America, take them across the water and keep them there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Hey no need to throw about insults if you don't like what your reading. I've extensive knowledge on staple European crop production of which you have power of google.
    Do you not care for earthworms and other soil fauna which are masacred in your veg production, this is a massive logical fallacy if I've ever seen one. Your un willingness to even accept that to have a balanced vegan diet in Ireland requires excessive pressures being applied to much more fragile environments and many airmiles to transport this food across continents yet forage based farmers with grass that grows like stink here efficiently are the bad guys?

Please refrain from dumping links you know fook all about. It's like glyphos anti's posting that Iarc report not knowing one of the scientists involved is on record in a California court due to having accepted a bride from one of 2 big law firms looking for a large payout to 'massage' the findings.
    Is there a break glass incase of need esc' folder with all these single issue reports you need draw from.

So eggs are ok from chickens and such?

Also do we really have to effectively kill millions of small animals by ruining their habitats by cultivating land in order for us to live. Why should humans have more rights than a fieldmouse or a rabbit.

Kerryman79 wrote: »
    Theres no we here, you have your opinion, dont be trying to force it on others, alot of your arguments are based on America, take them across the water and keep them there

There's not much that I've said in this thread that isn't relevant in both countries. I don't want to force any opinion on you, whatever that means. I want you to think about this issue with an open mind and do some research.

I'm no fool, what I think you should do and what I think you will do are two different things. If this is someone's livelihood it is likely that they have never really thought very much about the implications or ethical concerns of the industry. I don't think farmers are to blame, it's a consumer demand issue. It's consumer attitudes that need to change, but I don't think farmers are exempt from having to think about it all either.

So eggs are ok from chickens and such?

Also do we really have to effectively kill millions of small animals by ruining their habitats by cultivating land in order for us to live. Why should humans have more rights than a fieldmouse or a rabbit.

I don't eat eggs. Day old male chicks are killed en masse due to this industry and hens have been bred to produce an unnatural amount of eggs which greatly reduces their natural lifespan.

We would need far less land for agricultural use if we didn't eat animal products. A lot of land could be returned to forestry. I think we should find ways to live more harmoniously with animals and share the earth rather than enslave and exploit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

There's not much that I've said in this thread that isn't relevant in both countries. I don't want to force any opinion on you, whatever that means. I want you to think about this issue with an open mind and do some research.

I'm no fool, what I think you should do and what I think you will do are two different things. If this is someone's livelihood it is likely that they have never really thought very much about the implications or ethical concerns of the industry. I don't think farmers are to blame, it's a consumer demand issue. It's consumer attitudes that need to change, but I don't think farmers are exempt from having to think about it all either.

2nd year science under grad from a farming background here so i can read a graph just as well as you, can also see cherry picked data and insane accusations been thrown at the farming community, animal welfare is a number one priority - ask any of the ladies and gents here, not only from an ethical point of view but also a financial one and indeed legal one hence our animals do have rights, can argue every point you have made but no sense in it when you seem so driven to ram this inaccurate propaganda down our throats.
    just a few basic facts for you 1. sun is the main reason for climate change not CO2,
    2. CO2 is not the most abundant GHG its water vapor.
    3. Methane is only a fraction of atmospheric gases and its breaks down into CO2- not going in to the carbon cycle with you , you can google it
    Dont have time to go through this properly but if you really care please do try to educate yourself from proper academic sources not the vegan issue of the Beano

• Advertisement

Hey no need to throw about insults if you don't like what your reading. I've extensive knowledge on staple European crop production of which you have power of google.
    Do you not care for earthworms and other soil fauna which are masacred in your veg production, this is a massive logical fallacy if I've ever seen one. Your un willingness to even accept that to have a balanced vegan diet in Ireland requires excessive pressures being applied to much more fragile environments and many airmiles to transport this food across continents yet forage based farmers with grass that grows like stink here efficiently are the bad guys?

Please refrain from dumping links you know fook all about. It's like glyphos anti's posting that Iarc report not knowing one of the scientists involved is on record in a California court due to having accepted a bride from one of 2 big law firms looking for a large payout to 'massage' the findings.
    Is there a break glass incase of need esc' folder with all these single issue reports you need draw from.

It's our veg production. I don't eat any more than you do. If suffering is unnecessary we should reduce or eliminate it. I'll grow my own produce if it means fewer beings have to suffer. Why are you trying to justify the suffering of one species by pointing to another?

You're now insulting my intelligence, you can leave that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ah Eathrin - I remember I had a very interesting conversation with you not that long ago on extreme vegan viewpoints in relation to agriculture and animal based farming.

I would like to reiterate what I wrote back then about this topic 're. animals etc. It remains relevant to your opinion that killing animals is somehow unnatural
    gozunda wrote:
    Animals have been killing and eating other animals since the dawn of time. Happily we no longer run down animals over cliffs with flint topped spears

If remember correctly myself and a few other posters helped enlighten you on some of the many misconceptions you appeared to have about Agricultural production and global food supply

So I'll just put this here for other posters to take a good look at as it will be of some interest I think to this discussion.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057811633/2

Just one other thing - I notice that you arguments are very much of what I have seen referred to as the 'preachy vegan' type - imo its not the best type of argument to convince others of your viewpoint I would think ...

Kerryman79 wrote: »
    sun is the main reason for climate change

Okay, sure.
    gozunda wrote: »
    Ah Eathrin - I remember I had a very interesting conversation with you not that long ago on extreme vegan viewpoints in relation to agriculture and animals farming.

I would like to reiterate what I wrote back then about this topic 're. animals etc. It remains relevant to your opinion that killing animals is somehow unnatural

Carnivores kill animals to survive. We don't need to eat animals to survive.
    If remember correctly myself and a few other posters helped enlighten you on some of the many misconceptions you appeared to have about Agricultural production and global food supply
    How enlightened I became!
    Do you think because something is popular opinion that it is necessarily correct?

Just one other thing - I notice that you arguments are very much of what I have seen referred to as the 'preachy vegan' type - imo its not the best type of argument to convince others of your viewpoint I would think ...

Preachy vegan just being a term invented to keep vegans from opening their mouths for fear of being criticised by the many who don't share their opinions. You would rather we all just quietly shut up so you didn't have to hear opinions which ask you to question your morality. No movement ever achieved change by keeping their opinions to themselves.

At some point I'm going to have to leave this thread and I don't think there's much left to be said before we start going in circles, so it may as well be now. Goodnight all.

At some point I'm going to have to leave this thread and I don't think there's much left to be said before we start going in circles, so it may as well be now. Goodnight all.

Before you go - I would like to say no I dont think the thread is going around in circles - there a number of points you made that certainly warrant further scrutiny imo

I noticed you made a claim about rainforest destruction in an earlier post
    Eathrin wrote:

You are correct that much of the global soya bean production comes from areas where rainforest has been cleared . However you should know that the production of soya beans is almost entirely for human consumption with mainly waste products from soya processing being diverted to animal feed. Here are the real figures and fact about soya production.

I have seen it claimed by some vegan interests that approx. "85% of the global soya crop (much of which is grown in areas that were once rainforest) is used as animal feed "

However the big issue with basing any argument on gross percentages without looking at the detail behind such figures is that it is always problematic and in this instance completely incorrect.

The actual figures show that about 85% of the world’s soya beans are processed, or "crushed," to produce soya bean oil.  Soya meal is actually a waste product of the process of extracting this soya oil from the soya beans.

The oil component of crushed soya beans is primarily used for human consumption, although the proportion used for biodiesel production is growing rapidly, especially in the U.S.

That waste product of the oil extraction process ie 'the meal' is used to make animal feed. It would appear that most but not all of the waste 'meal' is indeed being diverted into animal and pet foods.

However Soya bean meal is also used to produce “soya protein" for human consumption. The meal is incredibly cheap to make and it can be made into flours, stabilize ingredients in processed foods, and absorb water and fat

All the soya foods including soya milk, textured vegetable protein, soya burgers etc are all made from soya meal from the waste process of the soya oil industry and are inclusive of the 85% figure quoted.

Of the 15% not used to make soya oil - approximately 6% is used directly as human food, mostly in Asia. Other uses such as additives and derivatives for various industries account the remaining 9%.

So the majority of soya meal is being used to feed animals is in fact a waste product of human based food production. So all those acres in the Brazilian rain forest are not been cut down to fuel animal feed rather to produce soya oil for human consumption.

http://www.soyatech.com/soy_facts.htm
    http://blog.paleohacks.../is-soy-bad-for-you/

Okay, sure.
    Carnivores kill animals to survive. We don't need to eat animals to survive.
    How enlightened I became!
    Do you think because something is popular opinion that it is necessarily correct?

Hey btw nice to meet up with again!

To your first point there - we are Animals - our evolution has not changed that. On the most basic level many animals (including ourselves) eat other aninals. It's part of nature and a recycling of nutrients .

I think you will find that the discussion on that thread weighed very heavily on fact and refutting many of the myths promulgated through veganism and not "popular opinion" as you put it
    Eathrin wrote:
    Preachy vegan just being a term invented to keep vegans from opening their mouths for fear of being criticised by the many who don't share their opinions. You would rather we all just quietly shut up so you didn't have to hear opinions which ask you to question your morality. No movement ever achieved change by keeping their opinions to themselves.

No I believe the term is very real and is used to describe much of the propaganda put forward by global vegan interests. Why do you need a "movement" btw - what's wrong with a lifestyle that is not endlessly pushed on others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Ah lads ye ran the poor devil out of town!
    He'll have to go back to Command HQ now for reprogramming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Humans are animals, animals are not humans

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

When is ear to the ground on again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

http://www.pnas.org/content/114/48/E10301

There you are.

The vast majority of wild animals will never grow old gracefully. They'll either be killed by predators or else starve.
    Also by right no vegan should be eating any fruit/veg derived from crops which received managed pollination as beekeeping relies on exploiting bees. It doesn't seem like it is at all possible to follow a healthy diet that does not go against vegan rules...

Advertisement