Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear to the ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Eathrin wrote: »
    Why is AI the same as a bull? It's a human hand being stuck up another animal where it doesn't belong. How the hell is that not unnatural to you?

A human woman wouldn't mind having a person who is not her mate stick their hand up inside her and inseminate her? Lets then take the baby away immediately after birth and then steal her milk meant for her children. Oh and once she can no longer produce enough milk or catches a disease due to her unnatural breast size, it's off to the slaughter.

It should be VERY well known at this stage that 91% of rainforest destruction is due to animal agriculture. That is, land for grazing and crops such as soybean for feed.

Please read the report below.
    http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/758171468768828889/pdf/277150PAPER0wbwp0no1022.pdf

You're blowing my mind here with your stubbornness. What you are saying is hearsay and not fact at all. How can you sit there and ask me to do my research when you've clearly not done any yourself.

If almonds in California are such a big problem to you, we don't have to eat them! Just like we don't have to eat meat. Don't point at a single crop and try to discredit veganism. This is a massive logical fallacy if I've ever seen one.

I'll just repeat for you what I said before.
    The report you provided states that agriculture is responsible for roughly 31% of all of Ireland's Greenhouse Gas output. We can contend how bad the figure is all day, that doesn't change the fact that any amount of pollution is a bad thing for the planet and the human race.

Please have a read of this UN report which urges a global move to a meat and dairy free diet.
    http://www.resourcepanel.org/reports/assessing-environmental-impacts-consumption-and-production

First, that report sounds like it either doesn't exist, or is total bogus, much like the broccoli report earlier in this thread. I'd very much like to read it if you can find me a link.

Second, I cannot believe you are now telling me that you don't think an animal would value its freedom more than being given a death sentence from the moment its born. The buffalo numbered almost 30 million before European settlers brought their numbers down to about 1000 in the early 20th century. It was the odd animal that became some other animals dinner. Humans are the ones that bring genocide to these creatures. Hypothetically, I don't think you'd appreciate it very much if an alien race enslaved all humans and ensured none lived past childhood. But that would be a nice way to go, sure, you could have been in a car accident or caught in a building fire or any other number of horrible scenarios that are far less likely to occur!

I do actually do plenty of research on Irish farming and you would find that if you were looking at my previous posts on that other thread :)

If the world had an unlimited supply of water, nothing changes regarding the unethical treatment of animals, the unhealthy nature of the consumption of animal products and the damage done to the environment in the air, in the oceans and on land. This again, is just another logical fallacy, trying to justify something which is morally unjustifiable by picking and choosing. I do not pick and choose. I am looking at the broader picture both in Ireland and on the planet as a whole.

I've probably done far far far more research on this area than you would ever care to. The truth really hurts sometimes and many people would rather ignore it and try to attack character than face any facts. I have not lied once to you and where I provided a figure I've prefaced it by saying that reliable figures are often difficult to get right, however the figures never changed the spirit of the argument one bit.

Does being vegan mean one's arguments and research are invalid. What about Women's rights activists and African American civil rights activists of the 20th century, were their arguments invalid because of the group they belonged to?

In this case being vegan invalidates the argument as what they are saying doesn't have any scientific research other than vegan propaganda scare tatics. If you google that article you'll see that it has already been torn to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You gotta laugh at this. It's from the website of Eden Farm Animal Santuary. They want donations to keep the place going. Basically you sponsor a resident. €30 a pop. Mind you Marjorie the turkey is only €10. Is her life worth less, or something.
    Anyway have a look at what this money will be used for; :D

maintain the fencing in the sanctuary that keeps him or her safe from predators

http://edenfarmedanimalsanctuary.com/sponsor-a-resident/

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

You gotta laugh at this. It's from the website of Eden Farm Animal Santuary. They want donations to keep the place going. Basically you sponsor a resident. €30 a pop. Mind you Marjorie the turkey is only €10. Is her life worth less, or something.

What a shower of cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Caring for a "non human being"
    Craters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DX85

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The scary thing about that site is the amount of animals they sau that have snuffed it. I have have had a lot more animals than that place over the years and the natural attrition rate doesn't compare imo ....

Couldn't be a money making racket could it? ie get in old dodery animals - they live a couple of months and then new ones brought in perhaps?

I do hate when animal charities advertise that unless you give then large amounts of money the puppy (or whatever) will not make it ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,597 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Pretty bad situation there for the last farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

whelan2 wrote: »
    Pretty bad situation there for the last farmer

Missed it- what was the issue there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

gozunda wrote: »
    Missed it- what was the issue there?

House flooded. 9 month long winter. Land flooded. Cant sell land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

What was the story with the forestry in leitrim. Rte player doesnt show ETTG out here

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Next weeks show actually looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

What was the story with the forestry in leitrim. Rte player doesnt show ETTG out here

Just giving out that the amount of forestry in Leitrim compared to other county's. Asking for it to be spread out more evenly throughout the country.

Obviously someone on good ground in Wexford doesn't want to plant land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Absolutely loved the gun dogs....

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Your last mans situation would make ya wanna kill the policy makers for not helping him!!as for forestry i live in the area and not only does silka spruce destroy the fish waters and a whole host of other environmental issues,depopulate areas,outbid locals who want to expand for next generation etc but what pisses me off most is the way gov is pushing it in a easy fools way of ofsettin emmissions instead of something like a high nature value farmland scheme which is way more carbon sink friendly

Your last mans situation would make ya wanna kill the policy makers for not helping him!!as for forestry i live in the area and not only does silka spruce destroy the fish waters and a whole host of other environmental issues,depopulate areas,outbid locals who want to expand for next generation etc but what pisses me off most is the way gov is pushing it in a easy fools way of ofsettin emmissions instead of something like a high nature value farmland scheme which is way more carbon sink friendly

What in the name of god are the policy makers meant to do for a lad that lives on a floodplain and whose land floods. How can they help him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

What in the name of god are the policy makers meant to do for a lad that lives on a floodplain and whose land floods. How can they help him?

Cattle in for 9 months of the year. It's a complete lost cause. Best thing would be to buy him a house and put his land into some sort of wildlife sanctuary.

House flooded. 9 month long winter. Land flooded. Cant sell land.

Sel it for forestry and emigrate. Trying to farm under those conditions isn't good for man or beast.

The opw could build a replacement house for him as he suggested on his farm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Sel it for forestry and emigrate. Trying to farm under those conditions isn't good for man or beast.

How do you plant trees in water?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

The opw could build a replacement house for him as he suggested on his farm

Poor man said he had no site on his land.

• Advertisement

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Poor man said he had no site on his land.

But he suggested knocking old house and raise it up.i think itd work

Last in series on now

Never knew johnes was pronounced yohnes always thought it was johnes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Never knew johnes was pronounced yohnes always thought it was johnes

And its 'Hectare' not 'Hectacre'.

Ella was getting laid tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Ella was getting laid tonight.

Good man Dan!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Shots fired this morning.
    16Y4Y6C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Shots fired this morning.
    16Y4Y6C.jpg

In the same week where raw sewage was flowing over into portmarnick strand beach from a burst pipe line that looked like it was going into the sea as raw sewage, but hadn't reached its proper destination it was amazing how she glossed over this as a contributing factor but only a small part of poisoning of our waterways and coastlines, if that pipeline had contained cattle slurry, you can be full sure the offending farmer would of had a council/epa inspection and facing a court date,massive fines and possibly right to farm took away along with the threat of jail time , Dublin city council does it and its acceptable as the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Good man Dan!! ;)

easy now - the compass always pointing north?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Advertisement