Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Cameras

Options
  • 27-10-2016 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys.

I work as a cycle courier and after a recent near miss I was thinking about getting a bike cam to record incidents should they arise and have the evidence to prove my inevitable innocence at the ready. :D

I tried looking online for bike cams but there aren't that many out there. So my question is does anyone know a place to get a high quality reliable cam? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

AV277 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I work as a cycle courier and after a recent near miss I was thinking about getting a bike cam to record incidents should they arise and have the evidence to prove my inevitable innocence at the ready. :D

I tried looking online for bike cams but there aren't that many out there. So my question is does anyone know a place to get a high quality reliable cam? Thanks.

Not many out there? You are looking in the wrong places so! Plenty of choice out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Don't expect the gardai to pay to much attention to your videos, especially if you post them online with offenders identity being revealed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Don't expect the gardai to pay to much attention to your videos, especially if you post them online with offenders identity being revealed.....

On the contrary, I found the Gardai very receptive to my footage when I needed them to be, to the extent that it led to a conviction. Although perhaps it depends on who you get to deal with on any given day. That said, I didn't post anything online.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just got a second hand sjcam. Form factor is perfect, but mine doesn't record so I'll be getting PayPal to refund it if it's seller doesn't refund it or get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Weepsie wrote: »
    I just got a second hand sjcam. Form factor is perfect, but mine doesn't record so I'll be getting PayPal to refund it if it's seller doesn't refund it or get back to me.

There are a lot of fake SJ cams out there at the moment buyer beware

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Here's a Wiggle page of them: http://www.wiggle.com/helmet-cameras/

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

gopro.com or ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Lidl have one coming up in their ski specials - haven't got one, but I think previously they've got alright reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭coolbeans

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Dunno where you're getting your info from. I've used footage in the past to prove dangerous driving in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There are a lot of fake SJ cams out there at the moment buyer beware

I don't believe this one is. Its just utterly broken. I knew of a broken zoom button when buying it, but there was no mention of the record button not working nor the WiFi. Should hopefully be covered by PayPal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I've used a contour roam for nearly 2 years now. Mounted to helmet, it's a little weighty, but fine. Image quality is pretty good, not 4K, but enough. Waterproof out of the box, decent battery, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contour-ROAM-Waterproof-Action-Camera/dp/B00METYIQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477645070&sr=8-1&keywords=contour+roam

GoPros will give excellent quality but their form factor is a bit weird for helmet mounting IMO, especially with their bulky mounts. I used a couple of ****ty cameras from amazon before getting the roam. Most I had mounted on handlebars which is easier/makes you look less ridiculous, but I do find that footage from helmet cam is better in terms of being more stable and easier to point in the right direction if needed.

There is a lot of choice out there but I still think there's a gap in the market for something lightweight and low profile for helmet mounting, maybe even something that sits within a vent.

In the two years I've used I've had pretty much no need for it, which I guess is a good thing.

Danbo! wrote: »
    There is a lot of choice out there but I still think there's a gap in the market for something lightweight and low profile for helmet mounting, maybe even something that sits within a vent.

Lightweight, low-profile, easy-to-use computer app.

OP, maybe get an extra external hard drive where you can keep the date-stamped footage.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Lightweight, low-profile, easy-to-use computer app.

You saying there is one?

You saying there is one?

I am not, just adding to the requirements.

I am not, just adding to the requirements.

Ah yes... definitely room for a kickstarter there. I like the fly6/12 but they're pricey and not really helmet material

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've used a contour roam for nearly 2 years now. Mounted to helmet, it's a little weighty, but fine. Image quality is pretty good, not 4K, but enough. Waterproof out of the box, decent battery, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contour-ROAM-Waterproof-Action-Camera/dp/B00METYIQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477645070&sr=8-1&keywords=contour+roam

GoPros will give excellent quality but their form factor is a bit weird for helmet mounting IMO, especially with their bulky mounts. I used a couple of ****ty cameras from amazon before getting the roam. Most I had mounted on handlebars which is easier/makes you look less ridiculous, but I do find that footage from helmet cam is better in terms of being more stable and easier to point in the right direction if needed.

In the two years I've used I've had pretty much no need for it, which I guess is a good thing.

i've a contour roam too but just find it too big & obvious! would definitely like to get something more discreet.

i've a contour roam too but just find it too big & obvious! would definitely like to get something more discreet.

I got a tiny little camera for around €30 which I have never yet used (got it for the new bike I was about to buy, which never happened). Can't see any branding on it and can't remember what it was called, but it was recommended by people here.

But if you're a courier (sorry, not sure if you're the OP) wouldn't you like it to be obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

But if you're a courier (sorry, not sure if you're the OP) wouldn't you like it to be obvious?

i'm not the OP and my personal preference is for something more discreet. each to their own :)

I got a tiny little camera for around €30 which I have never yet used (got it for the new bike I was about to buy, which never happened). Can't see any branding on it and can't remember what it was called, but it was recommended by people here.

Could it have been this? http://www.veho-muvi.com/muvi/

it's tiny but quality is pretty poor.

Perhaps I'm asking too much :)

Could it have been this? http://www.veho-muvi.com/muvi/

it's tiny but quality is pretty poor.

Perhaps I'm asking too much :)

Not sure; no branding on this one. I'll plug it in at some stage and give it a try, and it may then ask for software to be downloaded and identify itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

OP, there are sh1t loads of "bike" cams. Just search Bullet cams and the like, or google Techmoan, who is a good resource for cams.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100944623&postcount=8

Example of GUI in Older post, with older battery.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92653036

That said...

I have found the Drift Stealth 2 to be an excellent little camera with a 3 hour battery. But you have to mount it on a "mount" GoPro type mount, K-Edge etc. It is very, very good in low light/Dark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Re the Drift Stealth. It looks good. Very Virbish I think? 3hr recording - excellent. Internal battery, not so great if not replaceable. I have an sj, but only used it skiing with cheat harness. Not into GoPro in cycle helmet. Tellytubbyesque! Looking for something for the bike/commute.
    You say you have to use GoPro type mounts. That's for on the bike mounting? Over or under the bars I assume? What about its own mounts - are they only for helmet mounting?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Re the Drift Stealth. It looks good. Very Virbish I think?

It's about a quarter of the size of the original virb.

I'll come back to you on the rest tomorrow.

This is the set up I have on my new build "Armageddon Winter" bike.

1dzryu.jpg

The stealth looks like the following https://www.instagram.com/p/BDLV5mzy8iL/?taken-by=david_r72

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It's about a quarter of the size of the original virb.

I'll come back to you on the rest tomorrow.

This is the set up I have on my new build "Armageddon Winter" bike.

1dzryu.jpg

The stealth looks like the following https://www.instagram.com/p/BDLV5mzy8iL/?taken-by=david_r72

Do you have enough cameras? Do you want another?

godtabh wrote: »

I think he has all the important angles covered. It looks a very 'commute friendly' pset up.

Kudos to Unknown Soldier for the pics. Perhaps with all the film footage, not so 'Unknown' anymore :D

Re the Drift Stealth. It looks good. Very Virbish I think? 3hr recording - excellent. Internal battery, not so great if not replaceable. I have an sj, but only used it skiing with cheat harness. Not into GoPro in cycle helmet. Tellytubbyesque! Looking for something for the bike/commute.
    You say you have to use GoPro type mounts. That's for on the bike mounting? Over or under the bars I assume? What about its own mounts - are they only for helmet mounting?

I was wrong about size... it's about 3/4s the size of the Virb but about 1/4 the weight. It does have a quick release system but that is for helmets (Drift seem to be Motorbike orientated) You could probably use a similar velcro solution, as I have done with the Mobius, for a helmet cam. But the Mobius is about the size of a box of matches, and weighs nothing.

Both the Mobius and the Drift use the old 1/4 quarter turn Camera mount system. (The way you would attach a Photography Camera to a tripod!)

Bang for buck, the Mobius is savage.

The main reason I am using the Virbs at the moment is that they come with their own Cradle system, and they are easy on/off the bike for charging while at work. Sadly they don't have a "Dashcam" loop type mode, so you have to wipe the SD card every few days.

It does actually have a "loop" mode but that just records/keeps the last 20 minutes. So if you had an accident and 30 minutes passed before you remembered to turn off the camera...

But for the Drift you can see the mounts here...
    https://driftinnovation.com/collections/mounts/stealth-2

godtabh wrote: »

I have bought and flipped quite a few at this stage! I should have started my own Techmoan type site :) Do you have something interesting on offer?
    I think he has all the important angles covered. It looks a very 'commute friendly' pset up.

Kudos to Unknown Soldier for the pics. Perhaps with all the film footage, not so 'Unknown' anymore :D

I gave up on Inter'menets anonymity quite awhile back. :p

As someone who does cycle solo a lot, I can't express value that having Cameras add. They won't stop accidents*, but they do help kill off the "lies" afterwards.

There's a good reason dashcams in cars are so popular now!

*I think that the rear mounted Virb is so Visible now, it might just be helping make cars pass me a lot wider!

Thanks for all the info. I have also been doing most of my cycling solo. I have been off the bike ages now due to being hit by a car.
    I got out today for a while and it was awesome to be out. One motorist performed 3 dangerous overtakes of me in less than 2km! All were pointless and aggressive given the traffic volumes. I need something to record such things!

Mobius! That's the one I have, I think.

Kaisr, I find keeping to back roads where possible makes life a lot less overtakey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

How have you the Drift Stealth mounted in that pic (it's hard to make out)? Is it mounted under the garmin on the same out-front mount? Looks nice & neat - just wondering is it quick/easy to take on and off for charging purposes. Also, are the buttons easy to access with it in that position?

Does the loop record function work well? I'd be looking to have it on all the time 'just in case'.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

How have you the Drift Stealth mounted in that pic (it's hard to make out)? Is it mounted under the garmin on the same out-front mount? Looks nice & neat - just wondering is it quick/easy to take on and off for charging purposes. Also, are the buttons easy to access with it in that position?

Does the loop record function work well? I'd be looking to have it on all the time 'just in case'.......

They are Garmin Virbs (?) in that pic.

I have used a Virb for 2years, Brilliant cam imo, until 7 weeks ago, when after installing a "Garmin suggested" update, the Edit suite will not work now....
    Dozens of emails and tweets, and still receiving the fob off/stock reply !!!
    But, apart from that, it WAS a great cam!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement