Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Cameras

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

greenspurs wrote: »
    They are Garmin Virbs (?) in that pic.

I have used a Virb for 2years, Brilliant cam imo, until 7 weeks ago, when after installing a "Garmin suggested" update, the Edit suite will not work now....
    Dozens of emails and tweets, and still receiving the fob off/stock reply !!!
    But, apart from that, it WAS a great cam!

Garmin updates scare me (I've never updated my Edge 520).

It was the last link I was referring to (the Instagram one) which was a pic of the Drift Stealth.

Virb is nice if a little bulky, but the limited battery life along with the lack of a loop function is what puts me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i'm looking at getting a camera to record rear facing and am in the US the week after next so hoping i can pick one up a little bit cheaper over there. any thoughts on whether the virb is the best option?

as i'm sure is obvious i haven't done much research so hoping to piggyback the experiences of others!

i'm looking at getting a camera to record rear facing and am in the US the week after next so hoping i can pick one up a little bit cheaper over there. any thoughts on whether the virb is the best option?

as i'm sure is obvious i haven't done much research so hoping to piggyback the experiences of others!

I'm rocking a Fly6 on the back and it's great. It's discreet, great light, good battery life (about 6 hours on the flashing mode with the camera recording) and the 720p camera is reasonably good quality. It's also hassle-free with loop recording and USB rechargeable.

It's no GoPro but then that's not what it's designed for. For me I just want a clear view of what's going on behind and can read reg plates. I've already had one successful result with the footage from a double punishment pass by the same vehicle. Guy denied it when confronted by the Gardai and apparently his face crumbled when she told him that "the cyclist has provided us with incredibly clear footage of the incident".

It's slightly cheaper on Wiggle (€136) with free delivery than on the Cycliq website (€149 delivered). All that said, I'm not sure if you would get it cheaper state-side.

I would love a Fly12 for the front but at €316 on Wiggle it's a bit steep which is why I was considering a Drift Stealth at a third of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I'm rocking a Fly6 on the back and it's great. It's discreet, great light, good battery life (about 6 hours on the flashing mode with the camera recording) and the 720p camera is reasonably good quality. It's also hassle-free with loop recording and USB rechargeable.

It's no GoPro but then that's not what it's designed for. For me I just want a clear view of what's going on behind and can read reg plates. I've already had one successful result with the footage from a double punishment pass by the same vehicle. Guy denied it when confronted by the Gardai and apparently his face crumbled when she told him that "the cyclist has provided us with incredibly clear footage of the incident".

It's slightly cheaper on Wiggle (€136) with free delivery than on the Cycliq website (€149 delivered). All that said, I'm not sure if you would get it cheaper state-side.

I would love a Fly12 for the front but at €316 on Wiggle it's a bit steep which is why I was considering a Drift Stealth at a third of the price.

Probably not enough of a drop in steepness, but same light can be got for 280 or a bit less on Merlin at the moment by virtue of 10% off lights. Should be about 275 but need to add parcel motel or similar fee though, as they'll not ship it to Ireland directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Danbo! wrote: »
    I've used a contour roam for nearly 2 years now. Mounted to helmet, it's a little weighty, but fine. Image quality is pretty good, not 4K, but enough. Waterproof out of the box, decent battery, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contour-ROAM-Waterproof-Action-Camera/dp/B00METYIQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477645070&sr=8-1&keywords=contour+roam

GoPros will give excellent quality but their form factor is a bit weird for helmet mounting IMO, especially with their bulky mounts. I used a couple of ****ty cameras from amazon before getting the roam. Most I had mounted on handlebars which is easier/makes you look less ridiculous, but I do find that footage from helmet cam is better in terms of being more stable and easier to point in the right direction if needed.

There is a lot of choice out there but I still think there's a gap in the market for something lightweight and low profile for helmet mounting, maybe even something that sits within a vent.

In the two years I've used I've had pretty much no need for it, which I guess is a good thing.

Do you have front shocks or how did you mount on the bars? Both cams I've tried on there have suffered way too heavily from the vibration (even OIS wouldnt have helped).

Currently rock a clone cam on my satchel strap, does all right though I suspect its gonna struggle now that we're getting into the dark season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I also have a contour roam2 which I reckon I've had for 3 years at this point. I use it 5 days a week, and have done since I got it (except for holidays etc). Great camera, and it still performs really well, even the battery holds up well. I have been considering a change however, a Gopro Hero 5, or Hero Session 5 are on my list. They're very expensive though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I also have a contour roam2 which I reckon I've had for 3 years at this point. I use it 5 days a week, and have done since I got it (except for holidays etc). Great camera, and it still performs really well, even the battery holds up well. I have been considering a change however, a Gopro Hero 5, or Hero Session 5 are on my list. They're very expensive though.

I have a virb and havent used it really due to the size. The Session 5 really appeals to me but havent pulled the trigger (its in my amazon basket) as I am not sure I can justify the price if I cant do it justice ie will it jut be another gadget.

Have been looking at similar form factors but there are so many dodgy ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

How have you the Drift Stealth mounted in that pic (it's hard to make out)? Is it mounted under the garmin on the same out-front mount? Looks nice & neat - just wondering is it quick/easy to take on and off for charging purposes. Also, are the buttons easy to access with it in that position?

Does the loop record function work well? I'd be looking to have it on all the time 'just in case'.......

Howdy! I have a Garmin Out in front mount, the one that suits "GoPro" fitting.

Like the following http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-cycling-combo-mount-for-edge-virb/

It is handy enough for taking on and off but I'd have prefered a "quick release" mechanism. That is why the Virb is handy, it has its own cradle.

The buttons are easily accessed from the right hand side. One you have it setup (to dashcam mode) you hold in the button at the front for a few seconds, it makes three loud beeps, and then you give it a couple of seconds and press that button again once and it beeps/starts recording. I was actually able to start if on Saturday with thick fingered winter gloves.

It has an actual dash cam mode (little pic of a car) and I have it set (or maybe it defaults to) 10 minute clips. You can see a sample below. I've added some pics so you can see the mount/buttons/size etc. I think I had to by the "Tripod" gopro mount somewhere else.

Personally, I would wait until Black Friday to see what prices various Cams are. (This was a previous year from Facebook)

24xg8ll.jpg

2j14uoh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

godtabh wrote: »
    I have a virb and havent used it really due to the size. The Session 5 really appeals to me but havent pulled the trigger (its in my amazon basket) as I am not sure I can justify the price if I cant do it justice ie will it jut be another gadget.

Have been looking at similar form factors but there are so many dodgy ones out there.

The big failing point of my contour roam2 is the night footage. It's very dark, and it wont pick up much. So that's a primary thing I would want from any new camera. Tbh, I'll probably just keep on going with what I have, I'm just in the process of buying a house, that's enough expense for the mean time I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I don't suppose anyone knows a way to discover which front and back cameras this Yellowdublincyclsist youtube user uses?
    Seems very good night and day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone knows a way to discover which front and back cameras this Yellowdublincyclsist youtube user uses?
    Seems very good night and day.

He mentions gopro in the comments... Why don't you just ask him the exact model, I'm sure he'll tell you in the comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

dsaint1 wrote: »
    He mentions gopro in the comments... Why don't you just ask him the exact model, I'm sure he'll tell you in the comments!

I don't have a log in for youtube, go pro in comments is good enough for me thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Personally, I would wait until Black Friday to see what prices various Cams are.

Currently 99 pounds for the Stealth 2 on the Drift Innovation site but if you enter the code BLACKFRIDAY you get 29.99 off, so 70 pounds. You have to use Parcel motel to avail of the free carriage.

Just thought I'd mention it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ive just bought the shimano camera. Very compact. Makes the Virb I have look gargantuan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ive just bought the shimano camera. Very compact. Makes the Virb I have look gargantuan

This available on special offer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Alanbt wrote: »
    This available on special offer?

Not anywhere at moment. Got it on adverts.

Currently 99 pounds for the Stealth 2 on the Drift Innovation site but if you enter the code BLACKFRIDAY you get 29.99 off, so 70 pounds. You have to use Parcel motel to avail of the free carriage.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Oh, you little beauty - thanks for that D! Order gone in for one.

Happy Christmas to me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

+1 for the heads up.

To save a few quid more, if you opt for the RoW shop, they deliver to Ireland for free so you don't need to go via PM

Advertisement