Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an Ex Gratia Payment be taken back

Options
  • 27-10-2016 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

As a loyal customer of an energy supplier and you get an ex gratia payment to encourage you to stay with them because your out of contract.

If you decide to leave at a later date and your still in credit can they refuse to refund you any credit in your account or even demand the full ex gratia payment amount back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm sure it would depend on the contract for you to stay and get the payment. I bet there is a clause that says that you must repay it if you leave before the end of contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It depends on the conditions applied. If it was lime the €100 credit to your account on offer from some, then you can't leave and take the credit with you. The expectation of a credit to your account is that you will spend the credit and not have it on account when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I would have thought by definition an actual ex gratia payment would have no legal liabilities/limitations attached?

Advertisement