Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching sims between an iPhone 7 Plus and Android phone

Options
  • 27-10-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Ive 2 phones an iPhone 7 Plus and an Android phone. I like both phones and was thinking of using both, switching my nano sim between them whenever I feel like using the other phone.

I was wondering would I have issues with receiving SMS because of iMessage? I remember reading a while ago that there was issues with people who moved from an iPhone to an Android phone because of iMessage app. Or would there be an issues that would affect me from switching between an Android and iPhone?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi All

Ive 2 phones an iPhone 7 Plus and an Android phone. I like both phones and was thinking of using both, switching my nano sim between them whenever I feel like using the other phone.

I was wondering would I have issues with receiving SMS because of iMessage? I remember reading a while ago that there was issues with people who moved from an iPhone to an Android phone because of iMessage app. Or would there be an issues that would affect me from switching between an Android and iPhone?

Thanks in advance

It's not that you will have an issue, but more so with other people who,don't have the "send as SMS" switched on.

For example, when they start typing, and the phone realises that your number is not connected to the Apple servers anymore, then their iMessage will sit in cyberspace until you reconnect.

Or, if you have it set to receive at your email address also, then it may still go to your phone, even with no sim in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

kceire wrote: »
    It's not that you will have an issue, but more so with other people who,don't have the "send as SMS" switched on.

Surely this should be set as default? I mean it's ridiculous to think that someone could change phones and a text message is left hanging because it's looking for the number on the apple servers. Crazy.

I switch between iPhone and Android as well, and noticed this very thing this week where someone sent a group imessage - i never got it.... then the guy sent one directly to me and it got there (so he must have the setting turned on) but it was a follow up text - not the original. Hadn't a clue what he was talking about :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Surely this should be set as default? I mean it's ridiculous to think that someone could change phones and a text message is left hanging because it's looking for the number on the apple servers. Crazy.

I switch between iPhone and Android as well, and noticed this very thing this week where someone sent a group imessage - i never got it.... then the guy sent one directly to me and it got there (so he must have the setting turned on) but it was a follow up text - not the original. Hadn't a clue what he was talking about :)

Depends on the user. It can be set up either way, and you cant control how others set their phones up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

kceire wrote: »

For example, when they start typing, and the phone realises that your number is not connected to the Apple servers anymore, then their iMessage will sit in cyberspace until you reconnect.

Or, if you have it set to receive at your email address also, then it may still go to your phone, even with no sim in it.

Thanks! So it seems the problem would be with my contacts who have an iPhone who don't have the "send as SMS" switched on.

If I send a message through iMessage without the "Send as SMS" turned on, and the recipient has an Android, I presume it would send it as a SMS?
    Mr Velo wrote: »

Do you switch sim from iPhone to Android often (weekly?)? You mean he didn't have the "Send as SMS" setting on and it was a group message on iMessage I presume?

Advertisement