Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Ski, Pas De La Casa

• 27-10-2016 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Booked a week in Pas De La Casa in January. Both first timers. Can't wait!! Any info on the place would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's been many years since I was there so this is old info.

It's warm (as ski resorts go) but it's high so should have snow. Cheap to eat and drink out as it's duty free but that also means lots of people partying.

The ski schools are state subsidised and are really cheap, dont book lessons from your tour operator, they will fleece you. walk up to a ski school and get private lessons, you'll learn loads more quicker and cheaper.

It's a good choice for first time skiing if you get lessons. It's also too easy to go party every night and not ski... beware that devil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dubfan1

I've alredy booked everything through the travel agent and it's paid in full! Ah we'll I'll know for the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

My first trip was to Pas about 12 years ago.
    Ibiza on ice is what all the travel reps were calling it when we got there, It very much was. Very easy to miss out on a mornings skiing if you spend a little too long enjoying nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Went there for one of the first ski hols I was on about 15 years ago.Good spot for beginners and good night life.As said previously,very easy to miss out on morning classes.

Easy enough slopes for first timers but make sure you make it to classes as skiing is IMO the best holiday you can have but if you can actually learn to ski/snowboard its makes the holiday so much better.

As said theres great bars and bar crawls going on all the time,good for getting your bearings and finding out which are good boozers.Theres also a great Spa centre for sore legs and to relax and unwind.It has Jacuzzis,pools etc.Try to make It there,its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Went there for one of the first ski hols I was on about 15 years ago.Good spot for beginners and good night life.As said previously,very easy to miss out on morning classes.

Easy enough slopes for first timers but make sure you make it to classes as skiing is IMO the best holiday you can have but if you can actually learn to ski/snowboard its makes the holiday so much better.

As said theres great bars and bar crawls going on all the time,good for getting your bearings and finding out which are good boozers.Theres also a great Spa centre for sore legs and to relax and unwind.It has Jacuzzis,pools etc.Try to make It there,its good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Dubfan1 wrote: »
    Booked a week in Pas De La Casa in January. Both first timers. Can't wait!! Any info on the place would be great. Thanks!

They have put huge investment into Adnorra in the past 10 years, in terms of lift infrastructure, snow making and hotels. Historically it has a poorer snow records than the Alps but there is always enough, and Pas De La CASA is the highest and most snow sure of the Andorran resorts. That coupled with the new snow making and you will be fine.

It is not as cheap as it once was however is still excellent value for a first time skier and a big area you can ski all the way over to Soldeau on red pistes if I remember correctly. As a beginner you will mostly use the Pas De Le Casa and Gru Bolg pistes. Gru Bolg is a nice little village to ski to for lunch.

Even without great snow the skiing can be good for beginners, If you are out early the slopes are empty as to many party to hard the night before!

Night life is very lively especially at the weekend. :P

Enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Fattes wrote: »
    They have put huge investment into Adnorra in the past 10 years, in terms of lift infrastructure, snow making and hotels. Historically it has a poorer snow records than the Alps but there is always enough, and Pas De La CASA is the highest and most snow sure of the Andorran resorts. That coupled with the new snow making and you will be fine.

It is not as cheap as it once was however is still excellent value for a first time skier and a big area you can ski all the way over to Soldeau on red pistes if I remember correctly. As a beginner you will mostly use the Pas De Le Casa and Gru Bolg pistes. Gru Bolg is a nice little village to ski to for lunch.

Even without great snow the skiing can be good for beginners, If you are out early the slopes are empty as to many party to hard the night before!

Night life is very lively especially at the weekend. :P

Enjoy it

You mean Grau Roig :p?

You can actually enjoy blue pistes over the entire GranValira ski area (down to El Tarter and the upper Canillo area, though this latter one may not be the most interesting one, especially since you stay in Le Pas).

It's a shame the project to link it with Porté-Puymorens, the French resort a couple of kms away) was abandonned (they had built a couple of lifts on the French side 10 years ago) due to "ecolo-fascist" pressure. It's a different topic but I know very well the area and it just means mid-term "death" for the Carol valley villages (Porté-Puymorens & Porta).

iroced wrote: »
    You mean Grau Roig :p?

You can actually enjoy blue pistes over the entire GranValira ski area (down to El Tarter and the upper Canillo area, though this latter one may not be the most interesting one, especially since you stay in Le Pas).

I can hardly spell, correctly in English, never mind Spanish! The Pastora and Porstella blue runs are nice for beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

Hoping to go to Pas De La Casa this year also with a group of 8, all more or less beginners. Would we be best off going with one of the package deals on Direct Ski or is it worthwhile organising flights/accom/ski passes etc seperately?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

i'd go with a tour operator if I were you, but maybe others would advise differently

• Advertisement

Hoping to go to Pas De La Casa this year also with a group of 8, all more or less beginners. Would we be best off going with one of the package deals on Direct Ski or is it worthwhile organising flights/accom/ski passes etc seperately?

Your operator for flights, transfers etc. Book the ski school, lift pass (unless tongs a special deal) and rental independently TO, make a killing on stuff like that bye adding extra costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I went skiing there a few years ago, first timer and loved it, one of the best holidays I have been on! I am no skiing expert at all but the place seemed great for what we wanted, which was beginners skiing, decent nightlife and nothing fancy. The instructors were very good too, they typically take about 8-10 to each but we found them very good. I would say though it is important to try make the lessons each day (our group lessons started about 10-10.30 and finished 12.30-1), I saw a few people miss the third lesson which was the day he brought us up on the lifts and some basic proper slopes and the people who missed this struggled a little afterwards. Also a bottle of water in your ski jacket is a lifesaver after a few too many in Paddy's Irish Bar the night before!! We booked through a travel agent and got everything included for about 800 I think, that was flights, transfers, accommodation, lessons, ski hire, lift pass etc and it was convenient for us to be honest. I think after the first week in February it goes into peak season if I remember correctly but I could be wrong. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Is there anything there for better skiers? I've managed to delay bringing the kids for another year, but will probably have to bite the bullet next year as they will be 7 and 9 by then.
    I'm struggling to see if Andorra has any particular advantages over the likes of Mayrhofen/La thuile or Alpe d'heuz for two beginner children*, a reluctant novice skiing wife and myself.
    * They will have done the skiclub classes beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Hi,

I'm heading there in February, I'm going to rent boots and a board.
    Previosuly I have rented with Skiset (in other resorts) however it is cheaper to rent through the resort website (https://www.pasdelacasa.com/)

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

scott1974 wrote: »
    resort website (https://www.pasdelacasa.com/)

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Cheers

I've used their sister site, www.Arinsal.co.uk a few times. never had an issue, friendly staff and great for local knowledge too

Advertisement