Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen size for gaming

Options
  • 27-10-2016 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

As the title says. What size TV are you using for console gaming at the moment? I'm using a 42" and while the TV is super I think I preferred gaming on the 26" TV I was using. On ps4 btw.

Anybody using a monitor for ps4? I was thinking of getting one as a few people have said they find it better.

Hope this is in the right section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's a matter of preference, the resolution and pixel density of the display and most important how far away you plan to sit from the screen. If you sit further back you want larger size although if it was just for movies and TV then being less than far away would be ok even for a very large screen. For gaming there's HUD elements, lots of things you need to keep an eye on to survive so you don't want to have to dart your eyes around too much so sit far enough pack or pick the right size that seems comfortable for you.

Hope that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I recently hooked up my PS3 to my projector. it looks fairly decent but still has the obvious drawbacks. It looks like ass here because i took the picture on my phone.

400244.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Rum Ham! wrote: »
    As the title says. What size TV are you using for console gaming at the moment? I'm using a 42" and while the TV is super I think I preferred gaming on the 26" TV I was using. On ps4 btw.

Anybody using a monitor for ps4? I was thinking of getting one as a few people have said they find it better.

Hope this is in the right section.

I'm using a 27" Benq RL Gaming monitor. I used game on my 42" Sony Bravia tv but i much prefer the monitor now. It took a while to get used to it though. I'm on PS4 and Xbox One S.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Using a 27" monitor at the moment, don't think i'd want to go any bigger really, I play at a desk and it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I used to game on a 55 inch plasma and while it looked awesome, I found it just wasn't practical especially when it came to online multiplayer.

I now game at a desk where I have a 27 inch for the pc and a 24 inch for the console. I knew from pc usage that the 27 would feel just that little too big for my gaming which was down to the distance I was from the screen. Love the 24 as it feels just right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have a 29 inch 21:9 IPS monitor that I use for PC and console gaming. It's a thing of beauty. 21:9 can cause problems with some games but it's easily remedied and worth it for when it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

49" Philips TV. TV isn't great though, can be a bit buggy and contrary when it wants, particularly as the eco-saving setting on it occasionally resets itself which means when the screen is mostly dark, it turns the brightness down by itself making things even darker. And the screen sometimes goes blank for a few seconds and then comes back on.

Likely going to get a new minimum 48" 4K HDR tv in the January sales as I'm planning on getting the PS4 Pro and want to get the best use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I don't mind screen size, what matters most is that it doesn't lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I use an acer g227hql 21.5" monitor for gaming on my PS4. Sit at a desk though so quite close. Played on nephews PS4 recently connected to 42" TV and couldn't get used to it again.

Don't think I'll ever connect my console to a larger screen than 24" again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

I recently hooked up my PS3 to my projector. it looks fairly decent but still has the obvious drawbacks. It looks like ass here because i took the picture on my phone.

400244.jpg

That actually looks quite good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rum Ham!

I find the bigger screen I'm using is great for games but when I want to concentrate hard when playing online multiplayer I find it difficult. I like sitting pretty close to the screen so I'm looking all over the place when I'm playing online.

I was considering buying a monitor, only thing holding me back is the fact that I enjoy playing on the bigger screen when not playing reasonably competitively so not sure what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

heroics wrote: »
    I use an acer g227hql 21.5" monitor for gaming on my PS4. Sit at a desk though so quite close. Played on nephews PS4 recently connected to 42" TV and couldn't get used to it again.

Don't think I'll ever connect my console to a larger screen than 24" again.

I sit at a desk too. There's no way i could use a monitor for couch gaming or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I find refresh rate the most important thing these days. Now that I've gotten used to 144hz, anything less looks like blurry mush. Obviously depends on the type of game; first person shooter it's much more important than a strategy title, for example.

My current monitor (pc) is only 24", and I do find myself wanting to pull it pretty close to my face for games like CSGO or Overwatch, so that it fills more of my field of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Currently I'm using a 14 inch Commodore 1084s and a 9 Inch Sony PVM for all my older consoles. Used to have a 20 Inch PVM but had to get rid of it due to space requirements :(

Anything with a HDMI port gets sent through a projector.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

49" Samsung 4k ,im on PS4 but upgrading to the Pro in a couple of weeks..

Im about 6 feet away from the tv when playing so i find the screen size perfect..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

bigphil2 wrote: »
    49" Samsung 4k ,im on PS4 but upgrading to the Pro in a couple of weeks..

Im about 6 feet away from the tv when playing so i find the screen size perfect..

You're sitting dangerously close to your tv screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Cormac... wrote: »
    You're sitting dangerously close to your tv screen

Not at all, pretty much optimal distance wise but remember height is also a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Maybe so, I guess 6 feet is longer in reality than I'm thinking in my head. I just wouldn't sit quiet that close myself.
    But that's down to the fact it would be for very long periods for me, and I work looking at a computer screen all day too so am conscious of eye strain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

28inch BenQ for PC gaming.
    40inch for console gaming.( I don't do online games on console...so I just sit back on a couch).
    My mate has a 50inch or something...anytime he had us over to play Fifa it always felt too big.
    Bigger isn't always better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

42" 1st generation Pioneer Plasma for the PS4 & Xbox 1 really nice sitting back in a recliner and button bash away, On the PC I currently have a Benq 24" TFT that is just the perfect size. I am on the lookout for a 144HZ TFT but not sure I want a 27".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

24" IPS 4k. Had the option for a 35" but tbh for close-in PC-desk gaming 24" is enough. I have a 1080p projector with a 110" screen, games look impressive on it but tbh the response time is not worth the size increase. Sharp image, good refresh rate and low input lag on a screen you don't have to move your head to keep your attention on = Gaming nirvana imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

dudeeile wrote: »
    Not at all, pretty much optimal distance wise but remember height is also a factor.

It is perfect for me as i dont have time for long play sessions anymore,3-4 hours max..

I'm a console gamer but I play at a desk and have my Xbox connected to my PC display shared, and a second monitor that I send my desktop to when I'm playing.

Main 27'', secondary is smaller. Given distance I'm sitting, I guess just over arms length ? 27 is too big and I'll be downsizing to a 24 once the 2017 batch of displays are affordable. Reason being and I'm a stickler for ergonomics is that I find in some games I have to move my head ever so slightly to check the hud in the top left and top right corners and doing this repeatedly over and over and over every night is not good for your neck etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

400244.jpg

Do yourself a favour and spend a few bob on one of these. Trust me, if you have projector, buy a quaility screen. it makes a huge difference.

2573_full.jpg

The screen is smoother than a wall, and can have different reflective properties. If you have a super bright projector, you can get a 0.8 screen for deep blacks. If you have a low lumen projector, you can get a 1.2 or 1.3 gain screen to make it pop with brightness.

The felt/material round the edges also gives it a real TV/cinema quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have taken to sitting very close - 1m - from a 50" Plasma. Near instantaneous response and it's very immersive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Tried many variations over the years, and the longest recent setups were:

gaming at a desk, a 24" IPS BenQ on the desk, shared between a PC and an XB1 [upgraded last year to a 32" Samsung LED TV, mounted to a height-adjustable trolley/column thingy on castors];

Wii U on the lounge 47" LED for couch gaming (local multiplayer MK8 and not much else);

andXB360 in the kid's bedroom on a 24" LED TV.

With recently re-purposing our kid's playroom to a 'proper' games room (now that she's not so much into Barbies, Ponies and Playmobil anymore...but still demands her daily coop play of Halo <insert flavour, including MP> with daddy :D) I've since put the 24" BenQ monitor back on the desk for the PC, and moved all the consoles/games stuff in the games room.

I've changed the 32" to a 42" LCD yesterday (bagged that cheap Sharp Aquos going on J+), still on the height-adjustable TV stand, and with an HDMI multiway splitter I can 'swap' the XB1 and 360 outputs between the 42" and the 24" LED TV (moved in there from kid's bedroom).

I tend to prefer the larger screens for racing/flying (preferred gaming genres, lowering the screen so it sits dead ahead when I'm in racing seat with wheel/pedals), and the smaller screen for online FPS (or daughter uses it for her 360 gaming while I game the XB1 on the larger screen).

Advertisement