Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspapers

• 28-10-2016 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hello,

It is a couple of months I live here in Ireland, more precisely, in Cork city.
    I was wondering what are the most widespread Irish newspapers here. I think that Irish newspapers are, by name, very similar to the UK ones, right?

The Irish times, by name, is very similar to The Times or The Sunday Times. Just an example.

Moreover, I remember that when I was in the UK (precisely, London), everyone could read newspapers at the subway station or train station. In some countries, it is also that way. Before taking the train or the subway, you can find newspapers at hand near the entrance of the building and for free.

As far as I am aware, so far, I have only seen the train station here in Cork city (Kent station). Never seen a subway station. In London, the Tube has got sheadloads of lines with different colours. Here instead, in Cork city, I cannot find any subway station to get to another city or part of the city itself. Does it exist? How much does a one-way run cost?

What about train stations? How much does a one-way run cost?
    Are there any other train stations in Cork city, beside Kent?

Are there newspapers at the stations or they do not exist, as do they in the UK or in some other countries?

Where do you buy newspapers? I know that is a weird question but I do not know really where to go, here in Cork city. I can only see restaurants and bars and shops here.

Thank you,
    loveireland04

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Every shop has them. Go into any Spar, Centra or local corner shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Here instead, in Cork city, I cannot find any subway station to get to another city or part of the city itself. Does it exist?
    Ah. . . no.

To where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

As far as I am aware, so far, I have only seen the train station here in Cork city (Kent station). Never seen a subway station. In London, the Tube has got sheadloads of lines with different colours. Here instead, in Cork city, I cannot find any subway station to get to another city or part of the city itself. Does it exist?

Surely this is a piss-take post? There's no subway system in Cork City. Anyone staying in the city more than a few days would know this.
    I was wondering what are the most widespread Irish newspapers here. I think that Irish newspapers are, by name, very similar to the UK ones, right?

The Irish times, by name, is very similar to The Times or The Sunday Times. Just an example.

The Irish Times, Irish Examiner (more popular in the south) and Irish Independent are probably the more popular papers here. Not sure what your point is about similarities to UK papers. Yes, they have similar titles. Not much more to it than that.

Are there any other train stations in Cork city, beside Kent?

One-way to where? No, Kent is the only train station in Cork City.
    Are there newspapers at the stations or they do not exist, as do they in the UK or in some other countries?

Yes, there's a shop at Kent station where you can buy newspapers. You can probably pick up the Evening Echo or Cork Examiner (both Cork papers with local news) for free there... not 100% sure on that.
    Where do you buy newspapers? I know that is a weird question but I do not know really where to go, here in Cork city. I can only see restaurants and bars and shops here.

Porters and Eason will sell papers (both on Patrick street), as will all those convenience shops like Centra or Spar (they are dotted around the city). There's a newspaper stand up by Debenhams too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

No Subway system in Cork [just the sandwich shops haha!], but there is a city-wide bus network. I don't know if there is a map available for it though which is madness. This is an old map: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3944/15356349889_1b90f6bd70_h.jpg

Newspaper can be found almost anywhere, Spar, Centra, Easons has a large selection of international newspapers as well such as Le Monde, International Herald Tribune etc... Porters on Pana [St Patrick's Street] is also good for this.

The free paper is the Cork Independent, the Evening Echo and Irish Examiner you pay for.

If you can, try and get a bicycle, you'll fly around the city on one. If you are looking for something to do at the weekends look up Reimagine Cork on Facebook or Twitter, they often need volunteers to help with painting the city. It's a good way to get to know people and to get to know the city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,400 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This OP posts some weird stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes.

People still buying newspapers? How quaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yup, and always seems to precursor their questions with a statement with how he/she lives in Cork City for several months. Typically replies to their thread once or twice (to the quick respondents) and then abandons the thread. All harmless of course... just a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Yes.

People still buying newspapers? How quaint.

Have you seen the other posts? It's all stuff that can be answered with a quick google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

A subway in Cork haha, this has to be a piss take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

CHealy wrote: »
    A subway in Cork haha, this has to be a piss take?

Theres loads. South main St. Parnell Place. French Church St, Oliver Plukett St. Etc.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Bacchus wrote: »
    Yup, and always seems to precursor their questions with a statement with how he/she lives in Cork City for several months. Typically replies to their thread once or twice (to the quick respondents) and then abandons the thread. All harmless of course... just a bit odd.

Closed account now!
    Hopefully not because of comments here

• Registered Users Posts: 34,400 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If people closed accounts cause they were questioned by others, then they're be no accounts on boards.

You'll see far far worse in last hourly, never mind today, or last month, or year.

Advertisement