Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need Eir for Phonewatch?

Options
  • 28-10-2016 7:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

Edit:

Didn't read post right, your folks already have it installed.

It's a case of provider using landline alarms, I don't know if sky or anyone else does it. Phonewatch has a wireless kit these days but it's 600 odd euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

Patww79 wrote: »
    So the first step would be to see about upgrading their phonewatch system? They've had it for years (back from the Eircom days) so I'd say it's tied into the phone line.

Yes, check with Sky for sure, Vodafone offer service with no landline at all which may be why the don't do alarms.

And in the case of eir being the only provider the best option is upgrading their system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Eir don't own phone watch anymore but it is tied to the phone line, so only that needs to stay active, I don't see why you'd need an eir account at all for this though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

All your phone watch system needs is a phone line, it does not matter who the provider is.
    When they were part of Eircom they spun that line that their systems would only work on Eircom lines.
    Absolute rubbish.

Oh and this €600 system, another farce, all you are doing is paying for the installation of a system you will never actually own, as you will pay for it on the never, never.
    You also will be stuck with them, the manufacturer of that system makes it specifically for PW, therefore none of PW's competitors can work on it, neither can be be monitored by any other monitoring station.
    So anyone with this wonderful €600 system are now over a barrell and forking out over €300 a year for a system which in my professional opinion is not really a security system.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

I think Vodafone could have possibly been referring to them switching to Vodafone Voice, which means your phone has to be plugged into their modem to work, rather then direct to the phone line. We are Vodafone customers, and when they were making this switch they wrote to customers saying if they had a monitored alarm, they could opt out of the switch.

We did as we have a monitored alarm here. Wonder if new customers can be given the opportunity to opt out, or if it was only for existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I think Vodafone could have possibly been referring to them switching to Vodafone Voice, which means your phone has to be plugged into their modem to work, rather then direct to the phone line. We are Vodafone customers, and when they were making this switch they wrote to customers saying if they had a monitored alarm, they could opt out of the switch.

We did as we have a monitored alarm here. Wonder if new customers can be given the opportunity to opt out, or if it was only for existing customers.

As in Voice over IP?

Most alarm systems need traditional analogue telephone lines for traditional connections to monitoring centres.

I don't know the exact technology used, but below is what is said about it on the Vodafone site:

"Broadband Voice is a technology which enables Vodafone to provide the customers voice service over their fixed broadband/internet. You will no longer use your normal landline when making / receiving calls.
    You are required to plug your phone directly into your modem."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are a lot of customers who got letters from Vodafone recently saying their lines will no longer support Alarm Monitoring.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    There are a lot of customers who got letters from Vodafone recently saying their lines will no longer support Alarm Monitoring.

Only took 5 mins on the phone to opt out.

Advertisement