Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel advice for DCM

• 28-10-2016 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,

I'm staying in the clarion in liffey valley tomorrow night before the marathon on Sunday. Looking for advice on getting to the start line? What time should I leave the hotel and advice on the best mode of transport to get there. I'm not very familiar with Dublin and I'm assuming traffic restrictions will make all journeys chaotic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 healapallooza

I'm travelling from Maynooth and public transport doesnt seem to be an option for getting me into town on time. I'm gonna check if there are any local buses running etc and keep you posted if I hear anything,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Hi,

I'm staying in the clarion in liffey valley tomorrow night before the marathon on Sunday. Looking for advice on getting to the start line? What time should I leave the hotel and advice on the best mode of transport to get there. I'm not very familiar with Dublin and I'm assuming traffic restrictions will make all journeys chaotic.

I'd imagine there would be a good few marathon runners staying at that hotel, surely they'd have some sort of shuttle service laid on?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kingofthekop

ooter wrote: »
    I'd imagine there would be a good few marathon runners staying at that hotel, surely they'd have some sort of shuttle service laid on?
    That would be ideal if that was the case. I'd prefer to have my travel plans nailed down rather than worrying about it if you know what I mean.

That would be ideal if that was the case. I'd prefer to have my travel plans nailed down rather than worrying about it if you know what I mean.

Yeah I know, not familiar with that part of the city so can't really help I'm afraid.
    Worst case scenario a taxi should get you close enough to the start area but will probably cost a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hi,

Most road closures don't kick in until close to race time, and the road from Liffey Valley is entirely unaffected until the quays get closed around 8.30 - if you leave at, say, 7.30, you'll be fine (assuming you know where you're parking!).

I'd just leave the car and get a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 kingofthekop

Singer wrote: »
    Most road closures don't kick in until close to race time, and the road from Liffey Valley is entirely unaffected until the quays get closed around 8.30 - if you leave at, say, 7.30, you'll be fine (assuming you know where you're parking!).

I'd just leave the car and get a taxi.

Cool thanks. I see q park are doing a deal for 35% off parking in Stephens green. Would it be difficult to get up that direction say around 7:30

• Registered Users Posts: 6 healapallooza

No, on a Sunday morning at that hour it will be very quiet, i'd head for the quays and cross the liffey at Grattan Bridge, then make your way over to stephens green, the biggest delays you'll hit are standard traffic lights, you shouldn't meet much marathon traffic around there
    you'll be able to use a similar route to get out of town then without crossing the marathon route, but traffic will be a bit busier later in the day but nothing major.

Probably not ideal but how about driving to the red cow park and ride and get the luas in to town from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

My nephew is running the DCM tomorrow and I'm driving him in from Kildare. Ideally I'd like to park in the Royal College of Surgeons/St. Stephen's Green Car Park. What's the easiest route in for us in the morning, and then the easiest route back out to Kildare once he's started?

Thanks...

J.

Advertisement