Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odin Gym Equipment - Limerick - Steer clear

Options
  • 28-10-2016 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Has anyone else experienced any issues with Odin Gym Equipment in Limerick? I currently am 11 weeks into trying to get my order, or refund. Dozens of people have contacted me once I posted on his page complaining. The only thing he does efficiently is delete those comments. It seems to be a recent enough thing, and has deleted his ratings from his page as they were all negative. Steer clear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WizVigilante

That's a shame if true. I was considering switching out my rack for a wallmount from Odin to save on space but I did notice some of his more recent ratings were a bit hairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 buckweed

Yeah I bought a rack from him about 3-4 years ago, they're really impressive. It seems to be in the last six months though that this is how he's operating. Some guys have spent a few thousand and got nothing. He's posting about great deals as he's moving showrooms, I'd imagine he's closing down and trying to get as much money in as possible

6 more guys I was speaking today are in the same boat, that's about 25 I know of. I'm dealing with the gardai and the small claims court. He's not playing ball at all. Bit of a mess altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Im suprised nobody else has joined in raising the alarm.The chap who owns it is fairly well known.Serious fuc up if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I'd a nightmare dealing with this guy! He has been messing a lot of people around in the last 6-8 months or so. Not sure what the hell is going on.

I did put up a review on Facebook and straight away I'd other people from here and the UK contact me with similar stories. He''s ruining a good business. The quality of the products are really good but he hasn't a clue about running a business.

I did get my rack in the end :)
    I'd imagine he's closing down and trying to get as much money in as possible
    Could be or going to start a new company either. Dodge!

• Advertisement

Yeah he just doesnt even seem to give a **** with any of the messages you do send him. Seems to be threatening most people with solicitors for slander if the keep posting on his page. He blocks most people then once they start complaining and deletes any comments. I've to go into the Gardai again tonight to give a bit more info. Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ODLiam

Hi guys, I see that you are looking for gym equipment. I work in the Engineering department of O'Donnell Engineering and from looking at odin's Facebook page I am confident that most of the products they make are within our manufacturing capabilities. We have being manufacturing in the agricultural engineering sector successfully for over 40 years now and we don't plan on going anywhere so you can be assured that we will follow through with our promise and timelines.
    If any of you want to contact me our website is odonnellengineering.ie or just Google us.

Quick update on this, things still no different really. If anything more people caught out are coming out of the woodwork, this guy owes serious money to clients, and suppliers by all accounts. Supposedly going to be evicted on 10th Jan. Lot of clients being badly let down by this guy and continues to sell on Facebook. If you have placed an order, he tries to get people to pay via bank transfer, if you have, you'll struggle for a refund, if you paid through Paypal, get onto them straight away and highlight the situation, they'll be able to process the refund on your behalf.

He has a gym he runs right beside the workshop and it closed last week, all the kit is being used to clear debt or backfill orders people are waiting months on, but by all accounts its a first come, first serve scenario as there are so many people owed money.

If you're owed anything you really need to call to the workshop quickly and see what he can agree on to backfill your order, couriers won't even deliver for him any more as he owes them too, so you'll really have to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

I was going to buy a good bit of equipment off him this time last year but after speaking to a previous customer of his (complained of late and incomplete deliveries) I decided to buy a small piece of equipment and see how that went.. it took forever to get it, chased him for a few months, but i eventually got it so I am one of the lucky ones that i didnt splash out on a big order.

Since then i have been watching his facebook page, the bad reviews starting coming thick and fast and now there are no reviews on the page at all, any posts by disgruntled customers are being deleted, no honesty there it seems.

He is still trying to sell through facebook, surely his page should be deleted by facebook at this stage? Not a nice situation - incredible how a seemingly thriving business could go so pear shaped, thanks for the update

Yup totally agree, he's still taking orders by the looks of it and blatantly obvious he's not going to deliver anything. Terrible behaviour altogether, there are some serious horror stories of money he's taken and now blocked users from the page, ignoring all comms and literally acting as if everythings above board.

I've heard guys that have paid 4-5k and received nothing and are blocked and ignored. Going legal, but looks like he's going to be gone bust inside a few weeks so could do very well to get anything in return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Dmcg12

Can't agree more. STAY AWAY. He was quoting me for some equipment worth 700+ last Saturday....lucky I saw this review and have looked into it further....I have done a lot of researching and everything on this thread is correct....if he in trouble financially then i normally would feel sorry for a small company like this BUT in everything i have seen and read and in correspondance with him he was going have no problem taking my money knowing he was closing in a few weeks....he has taken a big chunk of my mates money recently which if he does not return in my eyes is disgusting behaviour....but there seems to be a lot of very unhappy people who have been deceived...lied to etc....he put up a long post on his fb about about 2/3 months ago about valuing his customers....it would make you sick to read ....no excuse of stress pressure whatever can justify taking money from people in this way ......
    Ps if he does make good by my mate I will update this thread.....but from all accounts there is little or no chance. ...

Yeah you had a lucky escape, I'm sure plenty of people will be let down for Christmas by this guy.

It's worth your mate lodging a submission on www.csol.ie and getting onto CRO with a complaint too, lot of people have done that and at the very least it will hopefully put his company in a bad rating when looked into further and if he tries to set up under another name. He previously ran this company under Gorilla Gym Equipment, so wouldn't be surprised if he'd try that again.

If ever you see this man running another gym company steer clear anyway - https://www.linkedin.com/in/gary-kirwan-a515ba45

And Merry Christmas :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Taktooler

you will all be glad to know that as of lunchtime today this place has been closed down, guards were there many times this week and would you believe there were garda there this morning taking away used equipment from the gym that he obviously owed them !!!!!!!!!
    but to clear a few things up, the company name of gorilla gym equipment had to be changed because another company was trading under that name in the UK, i personally know the fabricators that made that company what it was and he ruined which they are not happy about i can tell you, hopefully some day in the near future they might start their own company and bring the name of really good irish made gym equipment back to where it belongs, one more thing, dont be fooled into thinking that just anybody can make this equipment !! they CANT

I'm actually surprised it has taken this long, totally agree with you about the prior quality of the equipment before going downhill. I've seen it first hand. Definitely hope to see those guys going out on their own.
    Ah that explains the previous naming alright, hopefully he never gets allowed to get into a position again where he's simply scamming people, as I know of dozens who have been left out of pocket. Good to know that it's the end of this debacle for any possible future victims anyway.

Well...I know a few of those people he took money from and delivered nothing to and refunded nothing to will continue to watch out for him when he resurfaces and tell their story of what he has done....felt sorry for the guy at first but he has continued to repeatedly disgrace himself, limerick and small Irish companies ... poor poor poor....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

buckweed wrote: »
    Yeah he just doesnt even seem to give a **** with any of the messages you do send him. Seems to be threatening most people with solicitors for slander if the keep posting on his page. He blocks most people then once they start complaining and deletes any comments. I've to go into the Gardai again tonight to give a bit more info. Disaster.

Then he has no idea what he's talking about. Libel/slander definitions are wrong, libel is the written form. Those definitions are gone out the window now anyway. All defamation now as result of modern communication, and it isn't defamation if its true.

Guy should stop ****ing around.

All in all, I suspect the poor customers are going to be the ones who get nothing back here. This guy deserves to be sent away after stealing thousands from them, never intended to deliver anything, just been taking orders all along when he was obviously going under

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I currently am 11 weeks into trying to get my order, or refund.
    I'm assuming you didn't pay by credit card, or if you did, start a charge-back with your bank.

No, paid by bank transfer - as I had done a few years back with him before as well.
    A few people were able to get paypal or chargebacks to sort out refunds, but most were done through bank transfers. Worst I've heard is for one person having paid over 5k and not a dickybird in response

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No, paid by bank transfer
    Talk to your bank, and see if they can do anything.

• Advertisement

Yup, already did, can't do anything on a transfer unfortunately. Bit of a disaster all told, I'm just glad I wasn't stung as bad as some people.

I nearly paid him 700+ which he quoted me on the week before Christmas. ...he also took 1200 is from a mate of my a few weeks before that. Disgrace.

if i have anything to do with it, he wont be allowed to ever have anything to do with Gym equipment,
    keep an eye on these posts for future updates and may be able to put people in touch with their previous fabricators to see if they could be of help to anybody that has been ripped off by that Idiot !!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Would it be any use everyone that was ripped off coming together and use one solicitor ?

thats is a very good idea, and worth putting it out to all the rest,
    good luck with that slippery F***er

I couldnt imagine it would do any harm anyway. By all accounts there's a lot of claims in against him anyway, so I'd imagine there's plenty gunning for refunds at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nothappybud

hes back selling small bits on done deal two days ago. has anything come of trying to get him punished? I would be interested and have evidence to prove he owes us over €1000 worth of gear.

Not that I've heard, whats he selling as on Donedeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nothappybud

i cant send the link, but its under the heading Commercial/Professional Gym Equipment
    down for €1 two days ago

• Advertisement

Advertisement