Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fast wide Prime lens?

• 28-10-2016 3:26pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a fast prime lens and I'm thinking something around 35mm. I have a Canon 6D, 24-105mm f4 IS, 50mm f1.4, and 70-200mm f4. I use the 24-105 most of the time and I love it but its not fast enough for low light stuff my 50mm 1.4 is just not wide enough. I think I want something around 35mm - I feel this will be a much more usable focal length for low light / indoor stuff.

The one I'd really like is the Sigma f1.4 Art - fantastic lens and gets amazing reviews. The only thing is it's quite expensive, but mainly its big and heavy. So I've been looking at the Canon 35mm F2 IS USM. Not quite as fast as the 1.4 - but still pretty decent and it has IS which will help with low light. Its also pretty small and light.

Does this sound like the right choice or are there others to consider? Are the comparable in terms of image quality or does the sigma wipe the floor?
    Comments appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭The Ging and I

A 35mm f1.4 is a big lump of glass to carry around. An f2 would be my choice. Im off traveling for 3 months soon and I will only be taking a 35mm f2 lens. I haven experience of Sigma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I use an EF28mm f/1.8 USM and am pretty happy with it! Sharp, light and has the quality.

Advertisement