Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbie Williams -June 17th - Aviva Stadium

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

On my way to work and it's roasting out

Going to be a great gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

but1er wrote: »
    On my way to work and it's roasting out

Going to be a great gig

The sun that was promised finally came.

Saw the setlist, he's playing "Rudebox" so that's me sorted. :)

I wish promoters would stop having gigs clash. I would easily have gone to The 1975 in Malahide Castle tonight. There's a crossover audience out here for both older and new music.

Have a great day everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Great weather-wise, but will it still be breezy up in the top of stands? Hoodie or fleece or t-shirt or ????

He has everyone eating out of his hand down here tonight.

Though at times it's getting too much of a nostalgia fest. More of the new album would be better.

Oh God he's just started singing Joe Dolan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Live within earshot of the Aviva. Wouldn't be my thing at all, but the crowd are obviously loving it - their singing can be heard over the speakers. Blasting out his hits as well.

• Advertisement

Tonight was like a Christmas Party at the Red Cow but with 40,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,582 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He has everyone eating out of his hand down here tonight.

Though at times it's getting too much of a nostalgia fest. More of the new album would be better.

Oh God he's just started singing Joe Dolan!!

There's no show like a Robbie show, always entertains and delivers

• Registered Users Posts: 36,115 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He can't hit those notes these days , crowds sings most of his songs, he just orchestrates it and joins in when he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

You couldn't bad mouth that gig from the pitch. Unreal crowd in great mood

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

It was very clear from the Manchester charity gig shown on TV that his voice is gone now but he does have that charisma to entertain. However it is a bit of a cop out when the crowd has to sing every song

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I agree with others. I enjoyed it for the craic but sadly I think it's the last time I'll go to see him.

His voice is ****ed.

Also I'd never go back to the Aviva, nightmare set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Loved the gig. We had some great folk beside us in the pit.
    Nice bit of space and thankfully nobody near us was out of it.
    A load of folk went to the bar after Erasure and their space
    was never really filled by other people.

Robbie is just such a good entertainer. Yeah the voice isn't that great.
    Was it ever that good in the first place? To me the only time he really ducked
    out of a high lyric was during Motherf*cker. I guess that's why he's not doing
    Mixed Signals. The back pain seemed to be an issue too.

That's our 5th time seeing Robbie and that might well have been the best show.
    The weather sure helped but the show was very polished. Normally Dublin
    is an opener for the tour so things haven't really settled down.
    Robbie seemed so taken by the reception he got from the crowd.
    Come Undone was a highlight for me. And seeing the dancing girls do that
    ballet dance thing up on the toes. Ouch!!

We left after Angels as I just don't like My Way. We were lucky to get to
    the station before the crowds. The train organisation seemed farcical. There
    were more trains for the 20k Uruguay game a few weeks back. So many people
    queuing at the gates as we went by.

And Erasure were so good too. A zippy 12 song set. One new song - I think.
    They brought me right back to the gigs at the Point.

Good times!

pilly wrote: »
    I agree with others. I enjoyed it for the craic but sadly I think it's the last time I'll go to see him.

His voice is ****ed.

Also I'd never go back to the Aviva, nightmare set up.

Agreed, that was the fifth time I've seen him even though I wouldn't class myself as a "fan".

I didn't really notice his voice being bad, for me the gig just overall felt too "old". He seems to want to position himself squarely in a nostalgia bracket and he's only 43. The references to Val Doonican, a poster of Morecambe & Wise on the stage, the Joe Dolan cover, Neil Diamond cover, talking about "getting old", the 80s medley. It felt deliberate but all rather weird. His new material is great and title track and "Party Like A Russian" came across the best last night. He's not doing himself justice.

The whole thing put years on me to be honest.

Getting home was hell. We were directed away from the Dart and ended up walking to the 3Arena. It was East Wall Road before I managed to get a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Morecambe and Wise are always on stage.
    I think it's a good luck tradition.
    They may have been a bit more prominent last night.

Yep, I was disappointed that a couple more of the new tracks weren't played.
    But I knew what to expect before the show.

I'm still buzzing after it all!

Back in the day that Robbie was banging on about last night, the elder statesmen of rock sat comfortably in the charts alongside the new pretenders. So when I was 11 or so I'd hear a new track by Bowie et al on the radio alongside the new commercial and indie bands of the time. Artists weren't cast aside over a certain age.

Now no one plays Robbie's new records at all yet in spite of that he continues to chart. His new album has John Grant on it FFS.

He has a duty to fight the stratification, posing and ageism of today's music industry. He has the talent, money and following to fight it and that's why I was disappointed (somewhat, it was still drunken fun in the sun) in last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Fantastic gig, really.enjoyed it and what a day for it.

Don't really understand the complaints that his voice is knackered. It's at the same level it was even ten years ago. He was never a gifted vocalist and rarely hits (or in some cases attempts) high notes. And it was the usual amount of audience participation. I'd say if it wasn't for the back problem, he'd have been bouncing around.

I do find it quite telling that from the FIVE studio albums prior to The Heavy Entertainment Show (which I really like), he played only one song which was Rudebox. Take out his recent album and Rudebox and the most recent song (edit: excluding Take That's The Flood) from his own catalogue was from 15 years ago.

Needless to say I absolutely love going to his gigs and haven't missed a show in a very long time but parts of the crowd are really shifting to a nostalgia audience and he's starting to play to it more than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

Back in the day that Robbie was banging on about last night, the elder statesmen of rock sat comfortably in the charts alongside the new pretenders. So when I was 11 or so I'd hear a new track by Bowie et al on the radio alongside the new commercial and indie bands of the time. Artists weren't cast aside over a certain age.

Now no one plays Robbie's new records at all yet in spite of that he continues to chart. His new album has John Grant on it FFS.

He has a duty to fight the stratification, posing and ageism of today's music industry. He has the talent, money and following to fight it and that's why I was disappointed (somewhat, it was still drunken fun in the sun) in last night.

Yeah I agree with this. What's really strange is that he didn't play Candy. That was his last huge hit single. It's his second best selling single ever after Angels in the UK and was #1 for weeks - yet he doesn't play it live. It's like he's deliberately going down the nostalgia route, even ignoring big hits from recent years. It would be like U2 doing a tour and not singing Vertigo.

His setlist is way too heavy on karaoke covers. He's leaving off a load of his own hits such as Millennium, Supreme, Road to Mandalay, Candy, No Regrets, Better Man, Eternity, Old before I die, Lazy Days etc.

It's a shame he has little confidence in new material even though his albums are still topping the charts and Candy proved he can still have a hit single. Now he is back writing with Guy Chambers you'd think they would see the market there with Adele and Ed Sheerans success at MOR ballads and write a big anthem like Angels or Feel again but instead he puts out stuff like Party Like a russian.

I suppose he doesn't really care at this point. He's worth over £150M according to the recent rich list in the Times so why should he?

Advertisement