Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray to Rathmines this marathon Sunday

Options
  • 28-10-2016 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I have invited friends from Bray for lunch in Rathmines this Sunday (30th) which is when the marathon is on.

They are planning to drive direct, but may not be able to use their usual route (N11 to Donnybrook, then Milltown, Dropping Well, then Upper Rathmines Road).

Can anyone advise what would be the most sensible route while the marathon traffic restrictions are in place?

Comments

M50 to Tempelogue then Terenure to Rathmines? I don't know the marathon route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Might work. The marathon route is basically along the Dodder, so Rathgar might be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Can you reschedule to the Monday instead...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭Augme

The route goes down Terenure road east so that won't work. This is how the 15 will operate so best thing to do is just do the same

From Stocking Avenue From 10:00hrs until 15:30hrs
    Normal route to Terenure Cross, then divert left to Terenure Road North, right to Kenilsworth Road, Grosvenor Road to Lower Rathmines Road and normal route to Westmoreland Street then divert right to Fleet Street, Townsend Street, Pearse Street to Ringsend Garage.

Although given the marathon route also goes down Templogue road I'm not sure how that will work. They might just have half the road closed and they might only allow buses go down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I have invited friends from Bray for lunch in Rathmines this Sunday (30th) which is when the marathon is on.

They are planning to drive direct, but may not be able to use their usual route (N11 to Donnybrook, then Milltown, Dropping Well, then Upper Rathmines Road).

Can anyone advise what would be the most sensible route while the marathon traffic restrictions are in place?

The N11 is open for the entire day: "The bus lane will be closed both ways on the Stillorgan Rd (between Fosters Ave and Nutley Lane) during these times however the main carriageway will remain open."

http://www.theaa.ie/blog/dublin-marathon-traffic/

Maybe leave some more time in case of delays.

• Advertisement

The N11 may be open, but the problem will come when they try and penetrate through the cordon around Rathmines itself.

The only fix I can think of is to ask them to come a bit later in the day when the roads might have re-opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Alanm

N11 all the way in through donnybrook should be fine. I'd suggest going as far as the canal and turn up for rathmines. Shouldn't be any issues with that route. Avoid terenure/rathgar/miltown/dartry areas, they'll all be blocked off.

Thanks everyone for those suggestions. In the end we put the meal back to 5pm and there was no problem then.

Advertisement