Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card skimmed

• 28-10-2016 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi All,

Never had any issue with internet banking previously and thought I was quite fastidious regarding security, however my PTSB current account is minus €8.40 from eflow.ie Dublin8 ( no such company) and €200 form point of sale in Paddy Powers!
    Needless to say I was completely unaware of either of these bogus transactions and have contacted my bank.
    I rarely purchase on line except for Aer Lingus and Ryanair and I haven't done either since May of this year, so I can't think of how they got my details.
    I do not think I would have noticed the €8.40 from eflow had the PP one for €200 not been documented on the same day in my pending transactions list.
    Beware! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sorry, where is the scam?

Sounds like it's not a scam by Paddy Power nor Eflow, but that someone is using your bank account details. Maybe they scimmed your card in a shop/hotel/restaurant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've edited the title - your card has been skimmed, neither company was involved in doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,052 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They would have needed your PIN for the PaddyPower POS transaction, when was the last time you used the card in a POS terminal or ATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

They would have needed your PIN for the PaddyPower POS transaction, when was the last time you used the card in a POS terminal or ATM?

Penny's Dundrum yesterday.

Paulw wrote: »
    Sorry, where is the scam?

Sounds like it's not a scam by Paddy Power nor Eflow, but that someone is using your bank account details. Maybe they scimmed your card in a shop/hotel/restaurant?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Moneys insured, get onto paddy power and eflow see who's using your card, prove it wasn't you, bank will refund plus reissue a new card. When at an ATM always have a rattle for loose card readers and try to use them inside the bank they're less likely to be tampered with.

Moneys insured, get onto paddy power and eflow see who's using your card, prove it wasn't you, bank will refund plus reissue a new card. When at an ATM always have a rattle for loose card readers and try to use them inside the bank they're less likely to be tampered with.

Been on to eflow, they know nada, can't get anyone at PP. Bank have said pretty much what you said.
    I very rarely use ATM's tbh, but I do pay for a lot of stuff in Lidl, Tesco and Supervalue with the contactless method.
    Thanks

M

I presume you have contacted your bank and had the card cancelled as there's another card out there with your details making transactions with your PIN.

I presume you have contacted your bank and had the card cancelled as there's another card out there with your details making transactions with your PIN.
    Yes, rang the bank the minute I discovered it online. Can't see how anyone would have got my PIN though, I can understand the skimming is easy done for the theiving b@$1ard$, but you'd need to be quick to get my PIN.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

PP have millions of accounts and won't discuss it with you.

You have contacted your bank, they'll refund it and issue a new card. They'll do the checking with PP and eflow and if pin not used, they simply take the money back from PP and eflow.

Most skimming is done on atm machines and its not overly easy to see that a skimming device is attached.

Bank will see where atm usage was and if skimmed, there'll be other cards skimmed in same location.

• Advertisement

Walter2016 wrote: »
    PP have millions of accounts and won't discuss it with you.

You have contacted your bank, they'll refund it and issue a new card. They'll do the checking with PP and eflow and if pin not used, they simply take the money back from PP and eflow.

Most skimming is done on atm machines and its not overly easy to see that a skimming device is attached.

Bank will see where atm usage was and if skimmed, there'll be other cards skimmed in same location.
    Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its a POS transaction with paddy power, it was likely in store with a cloned card, on an event just about to happen to ensure the bet wouldn't be cancelled. There'd be no record or who placed it. The eflow payment would be against a random reg to test the card - as they allow prepayment they've no way of stopping that.

Neither avenue will find the skimmer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

E flow is an odd one as it would used against a vehicle registration snd easily tracked

ted1 wrote: »
    E flow is an odd one as it would used against a vehicle registration snd easily tracked

Showed up as Eflow.ieDublin8 on my statement, there is no such company.
    Eflow transactions show up as 'Eflow barrier'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

ted1 wrote: »

Not the case apparently. Same happened to me a few years and Eflow were able to trace the transaction via my card number but the reg given was a made up series of random letters and numbers. Got the impression from my call that they're a popular testing ground for skimmed cards.

The Paddy Power one would be more interesting IMO as if it was done online it would be linked to an account or if in a shop PIN would be needed.

Good news for the OP is that in my case funds were back in my account within 2/3 working days for three fraudulent transactions. I'm assuming he has been on to the bank.

Collie D wrote: »
    Not the case apparently. Same happened to me a few years and Eflow were able to trace the transaction via my card number but the reg given was a made up series of random letters and numbers. Got the impression from my call that they're a popular testing ground for skimmed cards.

The Paddy Power one would be more interesting IMO as if it was done online it would be linked to an account or if in a shop PIN would be needed.

Good news for the OP is that in my case funds were back in my account within 2/3 working days for three fraudulent transactions. I'm assuming he has been on to the bank.
    I have indeed been on to the bank, have to wait for a fraud form to arrive in the post, get the Gardai to sign it and return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Did you use an Atm recently to withdraw money? It sounds like your card was skimmed when you last withdrew money.

groovyg wrote: »
    Did you use an Atm recently to withdraw money? It sounds like your card was skimmed when you last withdrew money.

Only usually use an ATM 'in branch' when I have to use one at all, which is very rare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just had the same thing happen but in an unusual way.
    A conversion to British pounds in my statement. And beside it €56(£48) spent on food ordered from deliveroo to an address in London.
    I don't use deliveroo but do have the app. Opened the app an right enough there the receipt was and all the order details and address.
    Also with PTSB. They won't refund me until I fill out a form and get gardai to sign it. Not very helpful on their part. Literally have no money.

So I'm now left wondering is my phone hacked/cloned? How was it ordered through my app?

I've also mailed deliveroo and got an automated response then a mail from their customer service team saying they'll be in touch within three days.

Such a weird one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

david75 wrote: »
    Just had the same thing happen but in an unusual way.
    A conversion to British pounds in my statement. And beside it €56(£48) spent on food ordered from deliveroo to an address in London.
    I don't use deliveroo but do have the app. Opened the app an right enough there the receipt was and all the order details and address.
    Also with PTSB. They won't refund me until I fill out a form and get gardai to sign it. Not very helpful on their part. Literally have no money.

So I'm now left wondering is my phone hacked/cloned? How was it ordered through my app?

I've also mailed deliveroo and got an automated response then a mail from their customer service team saying they'll be in touch within three days.

Such a weird one.

I recall a recent thread about a lot of Deliveroo transactions in the UK appearing on peoples cards.
    Also see here >
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewchampion/these-people-say-their-deliveroo-accounts-have-been-hacked?utm_term=.vt8lRKajd#.jlVEjpKl4

I haven't used them but I have seen it numerous times.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    I recall a recent thread about a lot of Deliveroo transactions in the UK appearing on peoples cards.
    Also see here >
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewchampion/these-people-say-their-deliveroo-accounts-have-been-hacked?utm_term=.vt8lRKajd#.jlVEjpKl4

I haven't used them but I have seen it numerous times.

Nice one thanks for this.

PTSB are not the most customer friendly I know, but they were fairly quick at reimbursing the monies, once I had returned the declaration form stamped by the Gardai.

Yeah I'm looking for a few things from them now. A new card without the touch capability and transaction notifications on my phone.
    I'll be changing banks if I'm not reimbursed quickly. All my mates are appalled saying it should have been reimbursed immediately. I've loads of other transactions that day. All in Dublin. It's obvious I wasn't in London all of a sudden ordered food then back in Dublin minutes later.

Banks used to be good at spotting activity like that and calling you to see if it was you. Almost immediately. Not with this crowd it seems.

M

How are they getting the 3 digit CVV number for non POS transactions? I thought this data was only written on the car and not stored on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'll be changing banks if I'm not reimbursed quickly. All my mates are appalled saying it should have been reimbursed immediately. I've loads of other transactions that day

All your mates need to be realistic. No bank that I'm aware of will simply reimburse you without making a declaration of some kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

BuffyBot wrote: »
    All your mates need to be realistic. No bank that I'm aware of will simply reimburse you without making a declaration of some kind.

Ulster Bank refunded us within 24 hours of us alerting them to a skimming. Over €800 spent in Macy's, the Nike store, Uber taxis in Canada and a few other American retail stores. The card was used at the same time in my local town for doing groceries in Lidl, so they were pretty happy that we were not in the States ;)
    We didn't get any forms to fill out. Money back the next day and a new card a few days after :confused:

Deliveroo app doesn't ask for the cvv apparently?

Also this deliveroo scam was covered on watchdog on bbc1 tonight.

And true to form deliveroo are passing the blame onto customers saying their system hasn been hacked it's the customers fault for using the same password on multiple online accounts.

They refunded me today but o got that exact email off them saying I have the same password in too many places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Ulster Bank refunded us within 24 hours of us alerting them to a skimming. Over €800 spent in Macy's, the Nike store, Uber taxis in Canada and a few other American retail stores. The card was used at the same time in my local town for doing groceries in Lidl, so they were pretty happy that we were not in the States ;)
    We didn't get any forms to fill out. Money back the next day and a new card a few days after :confused:

Indeed, they were obviously pretty happy with the evidence they had on hand. Good for them, and you, in this instance.

However, this does not mean it is the same for all scenarios, and it is hardly applicable across different banks with different procedures.
    Deliveroo app doesn't ask for the cvv apparently?

Not all merchants do. Not doing so pushes the risk back towards them moreso, but doesn't "prove" anything.

Advertisement