Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worms in house

Options
  • 28-10-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

hi guys finding worms in my kids playroom anyone have any idea if theres anything i can put down around to prevent them from coming in like salt for slugs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

A floor?
    Is this an outside playroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitb1

no its indoor but an old house which gets alot of insects in it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Worms in a room suggests more significant problems than will be solved with salt (or anything else).

Don't suppose the kids are bringing them in to wind you up?

More sensible question - what do you mean by 'worms'? How big are they, what colour are they, do they have an identifiable head and tail, are they earthworms, do you have a pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are you sure they're not millipedes?

• Advertisement

defo not millipead we get them too, no kids not bringing them in, last time we found one it looked like it had soil on it, it was some kind of worm i think, i have no pic cos i just throw it away as soon as i found it, this is the second one i found in the last month, one side of it is skinnier than the other and it moves from that end but it doesnt seam to have the collor thing that earthworms have.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Lift the carpet , lino , floor and see whats going on . look at any external walls on the inside and outside .

How old is the house ? i have seen houses in city center that have earth floors. where abouts do you live?

There has to be some soil close by as worms don't usually leave earth to crawl on surfaces like paths or concrete. Is there a chimney in the room, any chance a bird could have dropped one down the chimney?

I don't think it's a worm, based on your description. Is this the same thing you opened a thread about in September?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Is your house built on an Indian graveyard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lesser spotted pygmy cobras.

yes i had a thread about the first one i found, we live in the country but the house isnt ours its rented so dont wanna go pulling at floors,theres a small footpath around 1.5 or 2 foot wide between house and soil, there is a patio door which we had a nest of earwigs under a few years ago, really need to move i dont like all these insects

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

post a pic, so we can identify

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Please don't put salt on worms. Pick them up with a tissue and put them back in the garden.

Ah yes, you didn't give us a pic the first time OP, we can't identify it without a photo.

the only way i will get a photo is if one comes in again which for my sanity i really hope they dont, i dont want to hurt them i want a smell they dont like, like flies dont like citronella and something else doesnt like peppermint, if it is a larvea i dont know which it could be as this one was around 4 inches long,

endacl wrote: »
    Lesser spotted pygmy cobras.

Helpful as ever!

I certainly doubt they are worms. Without a picture it's impossible to determine what it is. I suspect 'all these insects' are two or three instances of a moth pupae or suchlike. Such is country living. At least it's not snakes, scorpions etc which I had as house guests abroad.

I certainly doubt they are worms. Without a picture it's impossible to determine what it is. I suspect 'all these insects' are two or three instances of a moth pupae or suchlike. Such is country living. At least it's not snakes, scorpions etc which I had as house guests abroad.

would they be as long as 4 inches? from what i remember the skin was smooth also, i dont remember it having the lines on it that earthworms have

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are they like this ??

i see them in my house from time to time, don't know whether they are worms though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

It doesn't really matter what kind of creature it is.

If its finding it's way into your home then either find and plug the leak or move and bill your landlord for the trauma you have all suffered!

Xcom2 wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter what kind of creature it is.

If its finding it's way into your home then either find and plug the leak or move and bill your landlord for the trauma you have all suffered!

i know it actually really does stress me, we have woodlice, earwigs, spiders beetles, ants from april until august, them fish looking things, lately we also have wasps coming in and we had a few honey bees down the cheminey as well as birds, i cant wait to move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

caitb1 wrote: »
    i know it actually really does stress me, we have woodlice, earwigs, spiders beetles, ants from april until august, them fish looking things, lately we also have wasps coming in and we had a few honey bees down the cheminey as well as birds, i cant wait to move

Sure you could get any of those in any house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

caitb1 wrote: »

Not really seeing the problem to be honest, every house will have stuff in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Xcom2 wrote: »
    move and bill your landlord for the trauma you have all suffered!
    trauma?
    worms must be getting fierce aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

If its just a single incident, the worm almost certainly came in on someone's shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Sunshine lollipop

I don’t know if this thread is still open but I found this worm inside the shower if anyone knows what it is?

Shower, bath, toilet & sink is bleached every day. Don’t understand where they’re coming from.

Advertisement