Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head shave

Options
  • 28-10-2016 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Looking for a bit of advice,hopefully someone here might help..currently going very light on the hair front and have been getting a number one or two the last few years but now even with a number one the baldness is very obvious so looking for something to shave the head as close as possible without having to wet shave yet..I have tried the usual head shavers even without blade but not short enough..so any suggestions on what to use..would an Electric face shaver do the job ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

You want the Wahl Balder hair clippers it's designed for exactly what you want a close as you can head shave

Only thing is it's corded but I believe bar using a razor to shave your head it's the best there is for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

You want the Wahl Balder hair clippers it's designed for exactly what you want a close as you can head shave

Only thing is it's corded but I believe bar using a razor to shave your head it's the best there is for the job
    Thanks for the reply and the suggestion...not a real problem being corded in some ways I prefer corded..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

The normal electric face shaver will do fine m8

wiz569 wrote: »
    The normal electric face shaver will do fine m8
    Would a foil face shaver be ok on the head...had one a few years back and I got terrible ingrown hairs from it...it's was cheap enough one mind .
    Was thinking of one of these
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2446387/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHealth+and+personal+care%7C14418350/c_2/3%7Ccat_19805475%7CMen%27s+beard+trimmers+and+hair+clippers%7C14418417.htm

http://www.terrisales.ie/product/458/Wahl-Balding-Clipper/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

harr wrote: »
    Would a foil face shaver be ok on the head...had one a few years back and I got terrible ingrown hairs from it...it's was cheap enough one mind .
    Was thinking of one of these
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2446387/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHealth+and+personal+care%7C14418350/c_2/3%7Ccat_19805475%7CMen%27s+beard+trimmers+and+hair+clippers%7C14418417.htm

http://www.terrisales.ie/product/458/Wahl-Balding-Clipper/

Truth be told I only did it once but I just used my Phillips 3 head shaver , the hair clippers still left stubble for me anyway

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions...I got a basic foil shaver which was a pain to be honest and took to long to shave the head so I bit the bullet and did the full wet shave with my normal razor and have since purchased one of these http://www.headblade.com/ with an adapter so I can use Gillette razors ...
    I won't lie it did take a few days to get used to the fully bald head 👴

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Stigura

Bald as a badger, eh?

May I ask, Harr; Have you, or will you now, grow a beard? I'm always curious about this thing. Men losing it, on top, seemingly hoping to somehow compensate by sprouting a lush crop below.

Please don't think my comment is in any way barbed. Couldn't get much further from it. My own younger bro' always had ridiculously fine, and widely spaced head hairs.

At about middle age, maybe younger, he got the razor out. Total slap head. Suits him down to the ground. I think (going by the vague recollection of the last photo I saw of him) he may now have sprouted a bit of a goatee? But, that'd be purely and simply because he'd randomly decided to. Late fifties and not a lot to play for.

Just as I am, myself, now letting my own beard grow. Just for sh!ts and giggles. I'd like the ZZ Top sort ~ if I can live that much longer!

I wear a hat. And I crop my hair to a #1 anyway, when it's not brutally cold. Just because I've long since favoured the look and the simplicity of it.

Yeah. F**k it. I've had a beer. Is that allowed, round here? :o

Nice chatting.

Stigura wrote: »
    Bald as a badger, eh?

May I ask, Harr; Have you, or will you now, grow a beard? I'm always curious about this thing. Men losing it, on top, seemingly hoping to somehow compensate by sprouting a lush crop below.

Please don't think my comment is in any way barbed. Couldn't get much further from it. My own younger bro' always had ridiculously fine, and widely spaced head hairs.

At about middle age, maybe younger, he got the razor out. Total slap head. Suits him down to the ground. I think (going by the vague recollection of the last photo I saw of him) he may now have sprouted a bit of a goatee? But, that'd be purely and simply because he'd randomly decided to. Late fifties and not a lot to play for.

Just as I am, myself, now letting my own beard grow. Just for sh!ts and giggles. I'd like the ZZ Top sort ~ if I can live that much longer!

I wear a hat. And I crop my hair to a #1 anyway, when it's not brutally cold. Just because I've long since favoured the look and the simplicity of it.

Yeah. F**k it. I've had a beer. Is that allowed, round here? :o

Nice chatting.
    No beard ..I do keep stubble on the face never clean shaven...so I now have a total bald head and stubble on the face...I never would have wet shaved anyway...but no big proper beard ...I have grown a beard in the past , 5 months worth but the wife is not mad for them...
    I have mates who are totally bald and have some huge beards looks good on some guys but definitely not on others ...I think you need to have the proper build to pull it off ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Stigura

harr wrote: »
    I think you need to have the proper build to pull it off ...

Now, that's a very valid point I'd never considered.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got a lidl one recently, and it has comb attachments, and a little switch on the machine itself to give really tight shaves. Just like this one actually.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Battery-Power-Hair-trimmer-Beard-trimmer-Razor-hair-Strimmer-SELECTION-/122114038569?var=&hash=item1c6e905b29:m:mR6MdP_3hX5V08X7hGIRPwA

Best part is I don't need to worry about combs snapping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement