Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Computing / Computer Science

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

You'd absolutely 100% definitely need a second subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Giotar wrote: »
    I'm someone who was torn between teaching and doing a CS degree. Ending up picking CS and I'm now going in to 2nd year this Autumn. This is great news for me as I could possibly go on and teach it and get the best of both worlds.

I've asked around though about what I'd need to do and just want some confirmation here to see if it's correct.

I'm guessing staff will be very limited for this subject as no one will want to give up a well paying job except for the few who are enthusiastic about teaching and would happily take a pay cut such as myself. So it technically shouldn't be a problem finding a vacancy once I'm qualified, right?

On the subject of qualifying, would the CS degree + a PME be enough? I feel like I'd definitely want a 2nd subject to be able to get a full schedule/be more employable. How would I go about getting a 2nd subject? Thanks a mill

I wouldn't get too excited just yet - it will be a few years yet before it is offered in every school nationwide, although you have at least another two years of study to do before you qualify.

As another poster said, get onto the Teaching Council and ask them what the shortfalls are for CS degrees. It will probably cost you less as the universities are good at letting students study extra modules taking your registration fees into account. Also I don't know where you're studying but one of my regrets is that I didn't complete the diploma in Irish while I was studying at a very affordable price. I don't know if you're even interested in teaching Irish but you could pick up some first year classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

I wouldn't get too excited just yet - it will be a few years yet before it is offered in every school nationwide, although you have at least another two years of study to do before you qualify.

As another poster said, get onto the Teaching Council and ask them what the shortfalls are for CS degrees. It will probably cost you less as the universities are good at letting students study extra modules taking your registration fees into account. Also I don't know where you're studying but one of my regrets is that I didn't complete the diploma in Irish while I was studying at a very affordable price. I don't know if you're even interested in teaching Irish but you could pick up some first year classes.

I'm at DCU, 3 years to go yet. Computer Applications as far as my knowledge goes is recognised by the Teaching Council. Definitely wouldn't go near Irish. Maths or English would be my next 2 choices. I'll get on to the TC as soon as I can.

Cheers everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 honda021

The UCD course that @evolving_doors was talking about is running again in September 2018. See cs.ucd.ie -> Study With Us -> Postrgaduate. The course is at the bottom - "Professional Diploma in Educational Studies (Computational Thinking)"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

honda021 wrote: »
    The UCD course that @evolving_doors was talking about is running again in September 2018. See cs.ucd.ie -> Study With Us -> Postrgaduate. The course is at the bottom - "Professional Diploma in Educational Studies (Computational Thinking)"

I wonder will there be any nationwide training or is this blended learning?

• Advertisement
Advertisement