Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath -US pace- A&E

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Now he is using the same energy to go after his ex employer so in my mind there is a question of how much of his claims are actually true and what his motivations are.

His claims regarding the CoS mirror those of countless other ex-scientologists. Nothing overly unique in what he is claiming.
    Because it makes sense for them to have the domain so that they can use it as part of their advertising campaign for example. To leave it to the church is kind of strange to me. But that is my opinion.

Not really, they have their own methods of advertising in place. This CoS were always going to create a site to counter the claims in this series. Trying to buy all the domain names which they could use for that site would be a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Berserker wrote: »
    His claims regarding the CoS mirror those of countless other ex-scientologists. Nothing overly unique in what he is claiming.

Maybe, but I still have my reservations about him.
    Berserker wrote: »
    Not really, they have their own methods of advertising in place. This CoS were always going to create a site to counter the claims in this series. Trying to buy all the domain names which they could use for that site would be a waste of time and money.

Well I disagree, if I would have been a producer I would have snapped that particular one up. It's just to near to the show's name to leave open. And they must have known that the church is going to use it for their own purpose. It's 0.99$ and an automated program to snap them up just takes a minute or two. If this is really about bringing attention to the issue than in the age of internet you snap up any domain that remotely connects to ensure you can use it to your advantage (which is why the church did snap it up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I say it every week but again another great episode the best thing every done on Scientology.

I wish I had your TV provider, I'm always so behind your viewing schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Myself and the missus have been watching this.

Certainly the most eye opening work I've seen on the subject to date.

One thing she picked up on though, pretty much everyone that is being interviewed left the church in 2005.

It seems a little bit too coincidental that they all left in 05 and then decide to be a part of a show denouncing the church.

One thing is for certain, if even half of what the interviewees are saying is accurate, that is one messed up organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I watched ep.1 last night and plan to catch up over the next week. So far it hasn't told me anything I hadn't heard already from Going Clear or from Paul Haggis, and I'm OK with it focusing more on the human stories.

I saw Mike Rinder in the credits as "Consultant", so I expect he's being paid in some form, and I don't have a problem with that. He's been active online about Scientology and not getting paid for it. The question raised early on about Shelly Miscavige are currently making news, with Remini asking the LAPD to check up on her and recent reports of sightings of Shelly in a "frail state".

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

John Sweeney who did an investigation for BBC'S Panorama was on this weeks episode along with two others who have done stories on Scientology.

Again another really good episode.

About to go to the couch to watch it, so am looking forward to it, Sweeny usually knows what he is doing.

I should have said that was the final episode to the season.

I hope it gets renewed and we can find out how she got on with her lawyers if TMZ don't break the news first.

Edit; Second season talks are on.
    When Leah appeared on ABC's 20/20 just days before the season finale, it was revealed that talks of a second season are underway. But until a final decision is made, the self-proclaimed troublemaker has some plans of her own.

http://www.eonline.com/news/821046/what-s-next-for-leah-remini-and-the-church-of-scientology-following-a-e-s-shocking-docu-series

It was interesting to see how the journalists interacted with Mike Rinder and how he called them his personal friends.

In any case, let's see if their is a second season or if there is any news about the meeting with the lawyers that comes out in the meantime.

It just continue to surprise me how the government can continue to allow made up mad people (and I'm including other religions I that one too) to range free just in the name of free speech and give these people who clearly run an enterprise tax exempt status. 

• Advertisement

I should have said that was the final episode to the season.]

I'm not sure if this really was the final of the season.

AETV shows an episode called "Apostate" as S01E09 for 24 January 1000 PM ET.

The Summary is "Leah shares her personal story of her connection with the COS, charting her exposure to it at an early age, through her rise as a celebrity and opinion leader, to her misgivings and eventual break with the church".

Some TV schedules show S01E08 "Heretic" for the same time slot which makes sense giving that we had S01E07 last. 

So there clearly will be another Episode coming, but the number of AETV of S01E09 makes me confused.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to that episode as it gives an insight into why she is doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Last week (episode 6) had a DOG at the bottom of the screen that said the next episode was the finale. Hard to what to believe.

Regardless, the latest episode felt like the one before the finale, not the finale itself. It was a weird and unsatisfactory place to end.

It was just a second AMA from what I can see I will check the A&E app when I get in later to see if that's all it is.

Edit; Yes it's just a second AMA episode not a season finale episode.

S01E08 was an AMA (part 2) and S01E09 which airs on 24 January 1000 PM ET is as I outlined above. That than will be the season finale.

No episode shown this week.

There was a standalone episode last night in the States titled

Merchants of Fear.
    Leah Remini and Mike Rinder explore the historical relationship between the Church of Scientology and its often vocal critics; guests describe their experiences investigating controversial stories about the Church, and how the Church responded.

It became clear to us that although we were telling painful stories of former members of the Church of Scientology, this show was resonating strongly with people everywhere. The show is really about standing up for what is right and not letting bullies have their way. I feel it is important for people to know that you can take action to bring about change, both for yourself and for others. Our intention is to send a clear message to abusers that they will not go unchecked and will not be permitted to continue harming people without being questioned and challenged. We have been deluged with messages from those who have stories to tell who feel the show is a forum where their voices can be heard. We have been overwhelmed with support from well-wishers and fans of the show from around the world. But most importantly we felt compelled to proceed with another season to continue to reveal truths and seek justice for all victims.

Season 2 starts Tuesday, August 15th on A&E.
    The second season will include 10 hour-long episodes that will further explore accounts of former Scientology members whose lives have been significantly impacted by the Church’s practices.

The new season will continue to follow Remini, along with former high ranking Scientology employees and Church members, as they delve into stories of abuse and heartbreak. This season stories will include losing loved ones to suicide, growing up in the Church’s paramilitary organization (The Sea Organization), and Oscar-winning filmmaker Paul Haggis’ own harrowing personal journey.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/premiere-date-leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath-1202132218/

It won best reality-series at the TCA's last night.

Episode 1 of Season 2 is now available and it's not good news for the Church if any of these claims are true.

How Mike Rinder sleeps at night is really not clear to me, he has done some crazy stuff while in the church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

That was a tough watch. What those two women went through beggars belief really. Fair play to them both for coming forward.

That was a seriously hard watch.

This season looks like it will be an emotional rollercoaster.

That was really grim. Mike looked seriously uncomfortable during some of those segments.

So this season so far:

a.) claims of institutional rape
    b.) claims of mistreating people with mental health issues

Does that remind of any other church?

This week while still grim not as horrible as events in last weeks episode.

I was in tears watching this weeks episode.

This is one of the finest documentary series I have ever watched.

Same. That account of what happened to Tayler was heartbreaking. :(

Powerful stuff. Amazing series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

This season has really stepped it up in terms of how grim it is.

Agree with the above that Tayler's story was absolutely gutting, and nearly had me in tears. Felt really bad for Haggis' daughter too, must be awful living with that on your conscience.

A brilliant show.

So yesterdays episode features just one family's story but was powerful with some statements that even Mike Rinder could not believe.

Main Take-way of a possible side effect of OT V:
    Dying!

The episode however started with a short feature of the response from the mother of one of last weeks victims which claimed that some of the statements made by the program were false. Now I get that the show is produced weeks and weeks in advance but it would have been great to have a little bit more rebuttal than this short clip because it raises question about the reliability of the programs contributor and should be addressed. Maybe in one of their live follow ups (which I hope are also coming this season) they do that.

Interesting episode giving good insight into the bridge.

What however drove me nuts was the horrible editing of shots together to tell the story. You could clearly see when they used segments filmed at different points (because papers on the desk disappeared or appeared or even her mother was not in the shot when discussing her statement a second earlier).

But now that I know I could be an OT VIII because I know who I am (a god in my own church) I have to applaud the church for being such an effective marketing scheme having taking the concept of making money out of nothing into a billion dollar enterprise tax exempt.

I'm looking forward to the next episode.

• Advertisement

Leah Remini Forgives Mother For Introducing Her To Scientology As She Accepts Emmy
    Leah Remini snapped Anthony Bourdain’s four-year Emmy winning streak, taking the trophy tonight for Best Informational Series or Special at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards.

Remini won her first Emmy, off her first nom, for A&E’s Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, exploring accounts of former Scientology members whose lives have been significantly impacted by the org’s practices.

Picking up her statuette, an emotional Remini began by saying she wanted to thank her mom, who was in the audience and who, Remini said, for years had hoped to attend a ceremony at which her daughter won an Emmy.

“Mom, thank you. You are officially forgiven for getting us into a cult,” she joked.

She dedicated the Emmy to “our brave contributors who, despite ongoing risk and repercussion, spoke out and told their stories” and the network for its support.

Backstage, Remini acknowledged that “as an actress, you want to get an Emmy nom or win an Emmy” but, as she got older and “realized what’s really important” is “more about doing the right things.” For her, that has meant exposing viewers to stories like this” in her A&E series.

A few weeks earlier, the Television Critics Association also feted Remini’s series with its best reality-series trophy. Accepting that statuette, the actress deadpanned, “I had always hoped to win something for comedy.”

“I spent most of my life being told the world outside Scientology would fail me, that I would fail, and that without it I wasn’t worth a whole lot,” she told critics at their annual awards ceremony in August. “I thank you for proving those theories wrong.”

http://deadline.com/2017/09/leah-remini-wins-first-emmy-scientology-creative-arts-1202165700/

Advertisement