Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth Coastal Tour 16

Options
  • 28-10-2016 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭

That time of year again.
    This years edition will go ahead on Sunday November 20th with a start time of 10.30am.
    Few changes this year
    Sign on venue and parking if required will be at Scoil Naomh Mhuire in Donore Village from 9am.
    All proceeds will go to the school this year as they are making huge improvements there and have made their facilities available to us every year free of charge for the Brendan Campbell Memorial Race
    There will be hot refreshments on return at the school.
    Will be a few kms longer this year [approx. 85km TBC] for a couple of reasons.
    The route is the usual one,but there will be about 3k extra at the start as we are out in Donore this year.
    Part of the N2 outside of Ardee is closed at present so we will have a new return section from Ardee to the finish.We will post an up to date map next week.Up as far as Ardee [approx. 60k ish] is exactly the same.
    More details next week..Will be controlled by selected riders at 25kph to the best of our ability.Always a great day out.Entry e20

Wav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Great to have sportives in November but please sort out some of the problems from last year's version. It was fine if you had the fitness to stick with the main bunch doing 28/30 kph but if you were dropped, as many of us were on the drag near Ardee, you were very much on your own. Road marking and signage from there back to Drogheda were virtually non-existent with many making their own way back to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

Great to have sportives in November but please sort out some of the problems from last year's version. It was fine if you had the fitness to stick with the main bunch doing 28/30 kph but if you were dropped, as many of us were on the drag near Ardee, you were very much on your own. Road marking and signage from there back to Drogheda were virtually non-existent with many making their own way back to the finish.
    We always take negative comments on board and try to improve accordingly.
    There will be a fully marked route with lead vehicles,marshalls,medical crew,motomarshall,and garda.
    25kph is the intended control speed.
    Drag out of Ardee possibly/probably will be excluded from route this year because of detour.Return route from Ardee will probably be via Dromin,Philipstown etc TBC.There will be a new drag at the finish this year as we return to our new start/finish area,from Oldbridge House at the canal right up to Donore Village but its the very last 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'd love to do this, but big party planned for the 19th means I'll be too hungover - or more likely still on it - when this goes ahead..

I'd love to do this, but big party planned for the 19th means I'll be too hungover - or more likely still on it - when this goes ahead..
    Could have a bloody mary ready for you at sign on but would have to check with Robfowl if it would be illegal.

Route: https://www.strava.com/activities/760773734

This is the upgraded 2016 Louth Coastal Tour route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

wav1 wrote: »
    Route: https://www.strava.com/activities/760773734

This is the upgraded 2016 Louth Coastal Tour route

A lot of lads going to get uh oh emails after that, probably resulting in some expressions of disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

The lad is going well for November :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Max of 91.8kph would go down well on the "What's the highest speed you reached" thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

wav1 wrote: »
    Could have a bloody mary ready for you at sign on but would have to check with Robfowl if it would be illegal.

Legal in cycling ;)

Not allowed if he wants to stop for a game of darts midway though...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Yeah, i agree!
    Cycling partner took a sugar wobble near dunleer, by the time i dropped him off near the village (where he lives) i was on my own all the way. If it wasn't for the tractor rally I probably would have went straight through a crossroads.

• Advertisement

REMINDER..Goes ahead on Sunday as planned..Looks like a cold one,but never bad weather just the wrong clothes.Hope to see some of you there.
    Thanks

Thanks and kudos to all who came along today.Was a cold one but a good day had by all [well no complaints yet anyway]Again big thanks.
    Wav

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Spotted one idiot throwing gel wrappers. Who needs gels on a pace controlled sportive?

Have to say it was a well run event. Great having the support of the Gardai as it makes an event such as this run so much smoother.

Advertisement