Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engineer (or someone with lathe) to tap an m6 thread for me...

• 28-10-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hey, can anyone recommend an engineer that will tap a m6 thread for me?

Not hard to do normally, but this has to be done precisely. So a lathe / skill required. Or can someone here do it for me? :) I'd like to see it being done, to be honest...I suck at tapping threads!

I'm trying to fix a a pin which snapped off a gear change shaft on my Tiger 800.

It was riveted on, and broke off, but I'm thinking it can be fixed with a bolt.

Don't want to fork out 150e for a whole new shaft.

Pic attached, FYI. It's not a crucial part, it's for the gear lever return. With this problem, the gear lever is floppy, making gear change difficult.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Does it need to mov or rotate? Could it be tig welded back on?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

serious3 wrote: »
    Does it need to mov or rotate? Could it be tig welded back on?

Nope, I'd want it stationary and strong! Guess it could be welded! Probably should have been arc welded in the factory!

Take a look a this, essentially I want a similar (maybe better) fix:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads%2Ftriumph-tiger-800.599070%2Fpage-1042#post-24757095

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Good engineering shop could tig that back together, wouldn't even need filler rod, where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

serious3 wrote: »
    Good engineering shop could tig that back together, wouldn't even need filler rod, where are you based?

Thanks for the help...

What does that sort of thing cost? I could just buy a new shaft, but we're talking 150e...or so.

Based in Dublin, Churchtown but in Wicklow a bit too...?

Advertisement