Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle up Turlough Hill, Wicklow.

Options
  • 28-10-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Heard about this HEP station/lake out by Laragh just today, was interested in giving it a go as a assume it'd be a great climb.
    I'd also assume that there'd be a service road up there, does anyone know if this is accessible or is it completely out of bounds? Also, what type of surface is it?
    Thanks in advance, plan on going for a spin out there next week, to see Ireland's green energy in all it's wonders (plus for the views of course!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Heard about this HEP station/lake out by Laragh just today, was interested in giving it a go as a assume it'd be a great climb.
    I'd also assume that there'd be a service road up there, does anyone know if this is accessible or is it completely out of bounds? Also, what type of surface is it?
    Thanks in advance, plan on going for a spin out there next week, to see Ireland's green energy in all it's wonders (plus for the views of course!)

It's tarmac all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    It's tarmac all the way.

Crappy in spots though iirc. Mind you, I was chewing the bars at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. plan on going for a spin out there next week, to see Ireland's green energy in all it's wonders (plus for the views of course!)
    Apart from the view outwards, you can't actually see any of the lake at the top or any of the generator machinery etc..

You can enter at the side of the barrier (officially for walkers to enter but I've never heard of any cyclist being stopped). The climb is fine with a reasonable surface but take it handy on the descent as there is loose gravel and some slimely green stuff in places. Approach the last bend on the descent with caution as there is usually water crossing the road.

...and don't force hikers to jump out of your way - they may not hear you approaching with the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

There can be sheep everywhere too

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Apart from the view outwards, you can't actually see any of the lake at the top or any of the generator machinery etc..

You can enter at the side of the barrier (officially for walkers to enter but I've never heard of any cyclist being stopped). The climb is fine with a reasonable surface but take it handy on the descent as there is loose gravel and some slimely green stuff in places. Approach the last bend on the descent with caution as there is usually water crossing the road.

...and don't force hikers to jump out of your way - they may not hear you approaching with the wind.

Is it similar to the Kippure Climb then? In terms of difficulty? What's the sort of elevation involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We could organise a boards spin and a tour of the station, it's all in the mountain.

ted1 wrote: »
    We could organise a boards spin and a tour of the station, it's all in the mountain.
    Saw the segment from Glendalough here, 10.2k @ 5.2%. Only 3 people have done it this year, so yeah we could give it a spin.

https://www.strava.com/segments/846761 — Turlough Hill from Glendalough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is it similar to the Kippure Climb then? In terms of difficulty? What's the sort of elevation involved?

It's easier than Kippure. The first 500m is the toughest but easier than the last 500m of Kippure. I think the max elevation is 650m or thereabouts. Check it on Strava.

What impressed me was the obvious increase in elevation as you look to your left just at the steep bit and see how far you've climbed when you see the Wicklow Gap road below.

Easier than Kippure in my opinion - more consistent gradient and a better surface.

Can't recall the elevation of the top of my head but approx an extra 200m after getting up the Wicklow Gap so around 700m in total.

I just checked my one and only attempt on Turlough Hill - 672m.

It was also my first encounter in RL with WA!

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    I just checked my one and only attempt on Turlough Hill - 672m.

It was also my first encounter in RL with WA!

Thanks for that info! Bit off Kippure's elevation but still sounds interesting!

It's easier than Kippure. The first 500m is the toughest but easier than the last 500m of Kippure. I think the max elevation is 650m or thereabouts. Check it on Strava.

What impressed me was the obvious increase in elevation as you look to your left just at the steep bit and see how far you've climbed when you see the Wicklow Gap road below.
    Assume the views are stunning from the top!

Depends on where you view from. At the top (end of the road) it's just access gates to the upper manmade lake. Best views are en route to the top.

Depends on the weather!

PS - it's usually easier to begin from the Blessington side i.e. eastwards (as the prevailing south westerly winds can make it tough going from the Laragh side).

Depends on the weather!

PS - it's usually easier to begin from the Blessington side i.e. eastwards (as the prevailing south westerly winds can make it tough going from the Laragh side).

Ah but us cyclists (or maybe it's just me being a bit mad) always take the hardest challenge, regardless of gradient, weather etc. It's kinda the best thing about being a cyclist, because you get the awesome descents after!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Saw the segment from Glendalough here, 10.2k @ 5.2%. Only 3 people have done it this year, so yeah we could give it a spin.

https://www.strava.com/segments/846761 — Turlough Hill from Glendalough

That's a wonky segment, there's a kink in the route where you turn off the road. That's why only 3 people have done it this year
    The real segment is this one
    https://www.strava.com/segments/2524438
    It's a good climb, probably the longest continuous climb over 5% that I can think of anywhere near this part of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

147m climb from Glendalough according to Google Maps:

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Glendalough,+Co.+Wicklow/Turlough+Hill,+Sevenchurches,+Co.+Wicklow/@53.0176073,-6.408134,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x486797d94279f67b:0x1800c7a937df36a0!2m2!1d-6.32984!2d53.01198!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867974aa2f89a09:0x3c44d4390484050d!2m2!1d-6.416389!2d53.024167!3e1

I'll just lie down for a few minutes, if you wouldn't mind :eek:

....It was also my first encounter in RL with WA!
    And you introduced me to the joys of Sorrell Hill afterwards! :pac: (Sat 4th April 2015)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, glendalough is at 147m elevation, rather than that being the elevation gain on the climb.

• Advertisement

Really? I find these Google Maps stats hard to understand:

400364.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that shows the lowest point is at 142m altitude, and the highest at 683m.

And the climb is up to 596m and the whee is down to 263m? But the illustration doesn't appear to show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Great climb! :) The longest one I've found with a that kind of gradient for so long! It's made tougher by the fact that you've climbed quite a bit out of Glendalough before that carpark on your left and from then on if the weather's right you can see how much further you have to go! If wind is front the West the descent to Laragh afterwards is fantastic! Only thing I don't like is each time I've gone up from Glendalough side I've had a few motorbikes fly past me at speed feeling close enough. As someone else noted, the best views on the final climb are actually before you get to the very top.

Giving consideration to doing it in the morning

Chuchote wrote: »
    And the climb is up to 596m and the whee is down to 263m? But the illustration doesn't appear to show that.
    I think it's says that it's 683m at top and 142metres at Glendalough, so ~540metres gained.
    It does say that there's 500metres gained on google maps, but on your screenshot ~200metres descent, which doesn't really make sense, I think it's best ignored and to just look at elevation gained.

g0g wrote: »
    Great climb! :) The longest one I've found with a that kind of gradient for so long! It's made tougher by the fact that you've climbed quite a bit out of Glendalough before that carpark on your left and from then on if the weather's right you can see how much further you have to go! If wind is front the West the descent to Laragh afterwards is fantastic! Only thing I don't like is each time I've gone up from Glendalough side I've had a few motorbikes fly past me at speed feeling close enough. As someone else noted, the best views on the final climb are actually before you get to the very top.

The gradient seems to hit you pretty hard coming out of Glendalough, with no let up, unlike Kippure where there's a little plateau before the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I think it's says that it's 683m at top and 142metres at Glendalough, so ~540metres gained.
    It does say that there's 500metres gained on google maps, but on your screenshot ~200metres descent, which doesn't really make sense, I think it's best ignored and to just look at elevation gained.

The google image shows that the start is higher than the lowest point of the ride so there is some descending. Total descent over the whole ride is 263m and total ascent is 596m. Difference in height between lowest and highest points is 541m. So, there are uppy-downy bits and they add up the the cited numbers.

400364.png

Made it up to Glendalough but ran out of time and had to comeback to mind the kids . Still fitted in 80km and 840m climbing

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Made it up to Glendalough but ran out of time and had to comeback to mind the kids . Still fitted in 80km and 840m climbing

Damn Kids, still a decent cycle! Another time perhaps, there's a bank holiday tomorrow too!

Advertisement