Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to setup DD with Tennant

Options
  • 28-10-2016 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'd like to get my tenant to pay by direct debit. Can I complete the forms, get tenants signature then send the form to tenants bank, or do I have to wait fro the tenant to setup the DD ?

Many thanks for advice

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

dnme wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'd like to get my tenant to pay by direct debit. Can I complete the forms, get tenants signature then send the form to tenants bank, or do I have to wait fro the tenant to setup the DD ?

Many thanks for advice

Why a direct debit? Why would you want that level of access to their bank account?

It's your tennant's bank account, they can set up a standing order if they so wish?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

5uspect wrote: »
    Why a direct debit? Why would you want that level of access to their bank account?

It's your tennant's bank account, they can set up a standing order if they so wish?

Most people think that DD is a standing order. OP, you give the tenant your account info and they set up the SO with their bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Rew wrote: »
    Most people think that DD is a standing order. OP, you give the tenant your account info and they set up the SO with their bank.

Many thanks Rew,

I guess the issue is trust and timing. I fear I could be strung along waiting for tenant to setup.

When you sign up with a utility company (Eir, Vodafone etc), They get you to sign a DD form and then they send this to your bank. Is this not possible for landlords ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Can a landlord just decide their tenant has to pay by Standing Order?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be paid by direct debit, you'll have to send instructions to the tenant's bank once a month requesting payment.

I don't think you realiss the rules and governance around DD.

Just ask the tenant to set up a SO.

• Advertisement

The tenant could get a refund of a direct debit without your permission. A couple of months rent could be taken back out of your account without question.

The tenant could get a refund of a direct debit without your permission. A couple of months rent could be taken back out of your account without question.

Not if you move funds out once paid

dudara wrote: »
    To be paid by direct debit, you'll have to send instructions to the tenant's bank once a month requesting payment.

I don't think you realiss the rules and governance around DD.

Just ask the tenant to set up a SO.

Aha, gotchya. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

No true, your account would just go into an unauthorised overdraft.

Thems the rules of DD, you have 8 weeks from the date of the DD to ask your bank to get your money back without question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Direct debits are for businesses where the recurring payment is variable. Standing orders are used for a fixed payment amount.

Because direct debit allows the business to reach in to your account and take whatever amount, there is lots of consumer protection guaranteeing you can pull the money back without question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

I guess the issue is trust and timing. I fear I could be strung along waiting for tenant to setup.

If your tenant has Internet Banking and your IBAN no a standing order can be set up online by them in less than 5 mins.

They can cancel the standing order at at any stage if they wish but same would go for a Direct Debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Then you've a bank chasing you for money, and they probably know you've a real estate asset to get a judgement against...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Too lazy to read the comments but it's probably been mentioned. Standing Order is what you want here

Advertisement