Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power rack V half rack

• 28-10-2016 9:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Was in a gym recently and seen a "half" rack for the first time.....similiar to attach picture.

I presume one can do bench press and squat etc and use the safety bars at the front of this half rack. Not sure if it needs a counter balance.

What is the advantage of a power rack over this half rack ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Was in a gym recently and seen a "half" rack for the first time.....similiar to attach picture.

I presume one can do bench press and squat etc and use the safety bars at the front of this half rack. Not sure if it needs a counter balance.

What is the advantage of a power rack over this half rack ?

I don't see any advantage except maybe the chin up bar in a power rack. But I've seen half racks with chin up bars too. Power rack probably a bit safer with the bars to the front making it more stable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Once the rack is bolted down and the safeties are good, there's no difference for squat / bench / dead imo.

Half rack may be better for overhead work like pressing.

Full rack is better for chins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Full rack if your using bands for some assisted work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

If one was using resistance bands on a bench press or squat, what is the difference between using resistance bands as opposed to simply adding more weight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If one was using resistance bands on a bench press or squat, what is the difference between using resistance bands as opposed to simply adding more weight ?

The resistance changes throughout the range or motion. So if you're benching with bands, the resistance bands are greatest at the lockout and it's used to as a way of improving that portion of the lift.

• Advertisement
Advertisement