Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I've been perfecting my signature dish! tomato/chorizo/veg oven baked with eggs and cheese on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I made soup yesterday. First time I did that. Want a burrito shop burrito ASAP tho.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I made soup too. Not my first time, but it's rare enough. I don't think it came out well, but it'll be edible at a pinch.

What type did you make QB?

Sounds yum, fixxxer.

• Advertisement

Butternut Squash.

I even roasted the seeds afterwards. That was the only bit that was a success. They were delish.

Interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Love cooking normally, and love spending hours in the kitchen on a weekend coming up with new concoctions.

But current cooking is purely functional. I'm limited by a few things... a) one person who doesn't like rice or any sort of spicy food or any pasta other than spaghetti, b) one person who is on a limited diet for health reasons, and c) one person who says they eat anything, but in reality won't.

Tues, Thurs usually person A cooks so we have standard "normal" irish dinners.
    I normally cook Mon and Weds.
    Sat/Sun is usually a collaboration between the 3 of us.
    Usually person B gets "meals on wheels" delivered so that takes the pressure off.

But current situation... person C will find an interesting recipe on the internet and say "we should have that today, that sounds nice". Person A cannot read (bad eyesight issues) and person C is working from home until after 5, so it falls to me. However, I have touched the food so many times that I'm just sick of it by the time it's all over. I'm doing all of the shopping so I compile the list, go to the shop, put it in the trolley, put it on the conveyor, put it in the bag, take it out of the bag, put it away, take it out, cook it, eat it...

Anyway. Currently person C is in hospital. Not covid. So things are a bit more stressful in the house. I made flatbreads yesterday and they were delicious.

I have a lovely butternut squash veggie recipe. I’ve just remembered I have portions of it in the freezer. Happy days.

We should do a cooking club some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I have made soup the odd time. Never really adhere to a recipe as such, just bung in a load of veg & a stock cube or two depending on the size of the batch.

It is a lot easier to add more water to it than take it out if is it too thick.

Now I've got the idea for a lovely slow cook beef and Guinness stew....

We should do a cooking club some day.

I can't cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Baggly wrote: »
    Want a burrito shop burrito ASAP tho.

Yeah, I'd murder someone just for a Boojum at this stage.

quickbeam wrote: »
    I can't cook.

That’s why we should have a live video feed where we all cook together at the same time. We can show you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

quickbeam wrote: »
    I can't cook.
    That’s why we should have a live video feed where we all cook together at the same time. We can show you!!!

A lot of it is just down to a fear of making a mess of it. The confidence in cooking just comes with practise.

It doesn't need to be 5* quality. Roasting something is simply a case of sticking something in the oven for a set period.

A lot of recipes contain unnecessary faffing about to make it sound impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

All the dinner dishes in the Food forum look insane amazing. Usually what I serve up is absolute muck compared to their dishes but it does the job. I did make buttermilk chicken using the recipe in the cooking club here and it was awesome. A lot of faffing though which I'm usually not bothered with. I have the time now so I don't mind so much.

Jamie Olivers Ministry of Food book is absolutely amazing for teaching you from scratch how to make simple food. I love it. His other books are ****e though.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    A lot of it is just down to a fear of making a mess of it. The confidence in cooking just comes with practise.

It doesn't need to be 5* quality. Roasting something is simply a case of sticking something in the oven for a set period.

A lot of recipes contain unnecessary faffing about to make it sound impressive.

Even, like, chopping is a problem for me, so cooking is a whole other realm. It's part fear, part lack of the right equipment, part lack of interest.

The bread I made yesterday:

Equal volumes of greek yoghurt and self raising flour, and a pinch of salt. Mix until a dough is formed and then knead until springy. Roll to required thickness and dry fry on a hot pan. Amazing.

(I used a little more flour than suggested because my yoghurt was quite runny so just use enough flour so that the dough doesn't just look like a gloopy mess, depending on the consistency of your yoghurt)

Im gonna buy one of these next pay day.

Hand cutting home made chips is awfully labour intensive.

• Advertisement

Sounds lovely Sully!

That looks amazing Fix.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Im gonna buy one of these next pay day.

Hand cutting home made chips is awfully labour intensive.
    I've used one of these before and it is not as simple as they let on. It requires a significant amount of force to get the spuds through.

Funny story. Two years ago the junior cert science coursework was on osmosis and potatoes so every science class in the country was cutting up spuds using these to get them evenly sized.

Okay. The story isn't actually funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I love cooking so being at home all week means I have been able to try out new recipes.

I'm ok with brute force. I am, after all, a manly man.

Was that the one where you have to weigh the chips? Vaguely recall that.

kitten_k wrote: »
    I love cooking so being at home all week means I have been able to try out new recipes.

What’s on your menu, kitty?

fixXxer wrote: »
    I'm ok with brute force. I am, after all, a manly man.

Was that the one where you have to weigh the chips? Vaguely recall that.

Yeah weigh them and put them into salt water/sugar water with different amounts of salt and sugar and then re weigh them. I corrected 370 scripts that year. It was a lot of potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

What’s on your menu, kitty?

Today it is steak and potato pasties, made using wraps

Yesterday was Donor kebabs

This week we have also tried - honey chili chicken and a small party of cheese twists, nachos, bbq chicken and wedges

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

sullivlo wrote: »
    The bread I made yesterday:

Equal volumes of greek yoghurt and self raising flour, and a pinch of salt. Mix until a dough is formed and then knead until springy. Roll to required thickness and dry fry on a hot pan. Amazing.

(I used a little more flour than suggested because my yoghurt was quite runny so just use enough flour so that the dough doesn't just look like a gloopy mess, depending on the consistency of your yoghurt)

I WILL be attempting this. Thanks Sully! Might do it next week with some slow cooker curry.

I made an absolutely sexy looking (and tasting) lasagne last week. I would've happily left my husband for it it was that good.

Next project: Bunny Chow.

Combining Mrs. FixXxers amazing bread and my untested curry making skills.

• Advertisement

I’m gonna try Sully’s flatbreads. With some lamb koftas and salad.

Advertisement