Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Congrats EN!

Has there been a best song of all time competition or was it just a condensing of all those nominated in each decade?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Has there been a best song of all time competition or was it just a condensing of all those nominated in each decade?

There has been...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112553846

The winner was
    Nena - 99 Luftballons

Oooooh. I’m gonna mix it up a bit then.

When’s the best time to put up a thread. Now or when kolido has finished?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

If you're looking for nominations before running the knockout then you could put it up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Feel free to plug it in my thread.

I hope someone will do a best 90s act also, I'm thinking of moving away from music for my next venture.

While WFH I've most had on Newstalk for company. Muting it every now and then when I need to Zoom, or concentrate on a job.

I've now a big job to do that needs lots of concentration and silence is too much, but on is too distracting so I put on my whole music catalog on shuffle.

And I'm really enjoying it! I have to say I really do have EXCELLENT taste in music! :D:). I just thought I'd come on and say that. Now back to work!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

How does it shuffle up all the Mariah Carey tracks QB? A few in a row or are they nicely spaced out... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

quickbeam wrote: »
    While WFH I've most had on Newstalk for company. Muting it every now and then when I need to Zoom, or concentrate on a job.

I've now a big job to do that needs lots of concentration and silence is too much, but on is too distracting so I put on my whole music catalog on shuffle.

And I'm really enjoying it! I have to say I really do have EXCELLENT taste in music! :D:). I just thought I'd come on and say that. Now back to work!

Music is brilliant to settle the head and allow you to concentrate, usually mine does be on from 7 - 5 but since working from home it's been less. Great thing about having the bluetooth straight to the implant is that I can throw it on 50/50 and when people would annoy me in work, I would zone out pretending I'm listening but really I'm bopping away in my head and they would be none the wiser :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Trigger wrote: »
    Music is brilliant to settle the head and allow you to concentrate, usually mine does be on from 7 - 5 but since working from home it's been less. Great thing about having the bluetooth straight to the implant is that I can throw it on 50/50 and when people would annoy me in work, I would zone out pretending I'm listening but really I'm bopping away in my head and they would be none the wiser :pac:

I'm sorry, what?? The cyborg future I've always wanted is already here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

What is this magic?

Spotify have been earning their subscription since we've been working from home. It's on constantly and I've picked up few new artists by listening to random artist radios.

That is fantastic!

I'm with fixXer, I wasn't aware we had advanced this far. Judgement Day is Nigh!

fixXxer wrote: »
    I'm sorry, what?? The cyborg future I've always wanted is already here??

Ha yeah I wear a bluetooth device around my neck and it transmits from phone to implant, use it for phone also or anything really, also have a device that connects to the TV that streams the sound straight to implant via the bluetooth.

There is an new one out that actually hooks straight onto the battery on the processor that eliminates the need for the device around the neck. Bit pricey for me at the mo though

Ha yeah I wear a bluetooth device around my neck and it transmits from phone to implant, use it for phone also or anything really, also have a device that connects to the TV that streams the sound straight to implant via the bluetooth.

There is an new one out that actually hooks straight onto the battery on the processor that eliminates the need for the device around the neck. Bit pricey for me at the mo though

image-asset.gif?format=750w

That might be the coolest thing I've heard in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a0cbcb5432b64cafb2401eef9e6a6ef496ccd86c6&rid=giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I actually use audiobooks in the same way youse guys do music. It's my new addiction.

Necro wrote: »
    I actually use audiobooks in the same way youse guys do music. It's my new addiction.

I use them also in the same way. If you havent listened to the game of thrones audiobooks yet, you should, they are read buy Roy Dotrice who had a small part in the series..

I use them also in the same way. If you havent listened to the game of thrones audiobooks yet, you should, they are read buy Roy Dotrice who had a small part in the series..

They're actually my next planned purchase with this month's credit :D

Betty Spencer's (as in Frank Spencer's wife) dad, for those old enough to remember Some Mothers Do Have 'Em.

Also the dad of Jane Banks, the daughter in Mary Poppins. I knew the above, but didn't know this until just now.

• Advertisement

I've been doing audio books now I have an office to myself.
    Burned through Homo Sapains, The Stand, The Body: a user's guide and now starting Truth Lies and O rings: The Challenger Disaster. It's gonna be hard going back to normal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Oh god Homo Sapiens was the most depressing book ever. I couldn't bring myself to read the follow up.

And I can't listen to podcasts or audio books whilst trying to do anything else. I just can't concentrate on 2 things at once. So podcasts are for when I'm painting, exercising or doing cross-stitch.

Was it the farming that made it depressing? I kinda wanted to be a hunter gatherer again after that chapter.

If you're talking about the Yuval Noah Harari book, I didn't much like it at all. I thought it be more focussed on our evolution. It did in the early part, but everything after that was a bore.

I read all my books. I've never done audio.

If you're talking about the Yuval Noah Harari book, I didn't much like it at all. I thought it be more focussed on our evolution. It did in the early part, but everything after that was a bore.

I was like that too but I've converted :o It's soo handy, bluetooth it in the car and no listening to the radio and all the covid talk on every station to and from work.

I can even sneak a listen at work if I'm not on the phones and working on emails :D

Same. I don't think I have the attention span for Audio, as I've never really listened much to talk radio, and even when listening to podcasts I tend to zone out a bit.

My preferred method is reading a physical book while listening to music at the same time, and pacing around the house.

I don't drive though (I mean I can, I just don't; had a car for a year when I was 21, but did not enjoy driving so sold it and haven't driven since), so I can read books on buses or trains when I'm in transit. Maybe it's different for car folk.

No. Car drivers read and drive simultaneously. It’s part of the test now.

I eat books and ingest the knowledge. You're all missing out.

No. Car drivers read and drive simultaneously. It’s part of the test now.

To be fair, half the reason I hated driving was because I was losing out on valuable reading/day-dreaming time. Too much concentration and paying attention was involved. And you couldn't just stop and have a pint whenever you wanted either.

• Advertisement

I got into audiobooks when I had an hour long commute to work each way, found the time absolutely zoomed by listening to it.

*Side note* Great to see the OT thread alive again, it had been rather quiet for a while up till recently :D

Advertisement