Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

fixXxer wrote: »
    Was it the farming that made it depressing? I kinda wanted to be a hunter gatherer again after that chapter.

Yeah a lot of it just seemed to be about how amazing things were back in the good old days and how we're all just a bunch of miserable bastards now murdering cows and ripping babies (animals) away from their mothers and torturing them before we kill them and eat them. And sure we're all gonna die horribly anyway because we're destroying the planet and humans are just the worst. The End.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

quickbeam wrote: »
    If you're talking about the Yuval Noah Harari book, I didn't much like it at all. I thought it be more focussed on our evolution. It did in the early part, but everything after that was a bore.

I read all my books. I've never done audio.

You should try do both together, line up the audiobook with the chapter you start, it's pretty decent way to consume a book, most narrators put on accents etc for characters so it can give you that added dimension

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Yeah a lot of it just seemed to be about how amazing things were back in the good old days and how we're all just a bunch of miserable bastards now murdering cows and ripping babies (animals) away from their mothers and torturing them before we kill them and eat them. And sure we're all gonna die horribly anyway because we're destroying the planet and humans are just the worst. The End.

AggravatingInexperiencedAnhinga-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Necro wrote: »
    I got into audiobooks when I had an hour long commute to work each way, found the time absolutely zoomed by listening to it.

*Side note* Great to see the OT thread alive again, it had been rather quiet for a while up till recently :D

I like audio books but I'm really sensitive to who is reading them. If it's a 'bad' voice it kills the book for me.

Also agree with your side note :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Our take away driver wouldn't take his tip because of social distancing :-/

• Advertisement

BOO!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    I like audio books but I'm really sensitive to who is reading them. If it's a 'bad' voice it kills the book for me.

YES!!!

I listened to an entire series of books written by Joy Ellis and read by Richard Armitage and he makes the books. He performs them, not just reads them.

In contrast, Marian Keyes read her last book for the audiobook version and I couldn't warm to her. The story itself was good, but I didn't enjoy her performance.

I loved The Body (Bill Bryson) audiobook. I tend to listen to books on the commute in the car. Obviously no commute now so listen to them when doing activities like sewing or cleaning, or when out walking, or when I'm in bed colouring (to relax).

Turned on Spotify for the first time in a few weeks today while trying to correct tests and it made me wonder why I hadn't tuned in previously. Couldn't get behind the idea of this week's throwback Thursday so ended up listening to a random reggatone album from 2005. As you do. Had a great auld bop. Didn't correct all of the tests but sure plenty of time for that tomorrow.

Richard Armitage. Was he in The Hobbit and also that mini series The Stranger?

Richard Armitage. Was he in The Hobbit and also that mini series The Stranger?

Apparently so!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Trigger wrote: »
    You should try do both together, line up the audiobook with the chapter you start, it's pretty decent way to consume a book, most narrators put on accents etc for characters so it can give you that added dimension

I follow a few "Booktubers", and have heard this recommended there too, esspecially if you're struggling with a book. Maybe it's worth a go, but I quite like having my own interpretation of what characters sound like.

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    Apparently so!

I like him. Definitely a voice I could listen to.

Like Molly, our mob have been playing family bingo every Sunday for a few weeks now. I won the full house yesterday. 75 smackeroonies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Like Molly, our mob have been playing family bingo every Sunday for a few weeks now. I won the full house yesterday. 75 smackeroonies!!!

Are you Molly's granny?? :D:p

kitten_k wrote: »
    Are you Molly's granny?? :D:p

She’s the favourite grandchild. She knows that she’ll be getting that full house winnings in the form of 7,500 penny sweets!

75 quid for a full house! Holy **** yous are high rollers. We're doing €3 for a line, €5 for 2 lines and €10 for the full house. There's 8 of us playing.
    She’s the favourite grandchild. She knows that she’ll be getting that full house winnings in the form of 7,500 penny sweets!

YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are totaling up who has the most lines and full houses after 6 games. If there’s a draw after the 6 games, those players have a line-off or house-off.Winner takes all.

It’s 10 euro to play and a 1/3 goes to the winner of the lines, 2/3 to the house winner.

Our family spread out over Ireland, UK, Australia & USA and we all pay into a PayPal account.

Amazing. I bow before your vastly superior organisation skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I really want to put this gif in the female song competition thread but I think it's better to ignore the blow-in know-it-alls, so I'll tell you guys here instead :p

Yzmi1H.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

In case anyone isn't reading the last few posts in the last game thread. I was saying to Molly that if she was coming to Malta and looking for accomodation, and any others that might fancy some sunshine when this all passes. I am the accountant in a resort there. I will do my best to get ye good rates!

https://saliniresort.com/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ireland seems to have gone trampoline-crazy. I cannot find one in any online store at the moment, everywhere is out of stock

Edit: Never mind, got one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Necro wrote: »
    Ireland seems to have gone trampoline-crazy. I cannot find one in any online store at the moment, everywhere is out of stock

Edit: Never mind, got one :D

my bedroom window overlooks a good 30 back gardens. Over the last 3 weeks trampolines have multiplied exponentially. I think they may be planning a coup.

Watch out for the first stormy day of winter, you'll probably get a couple for free :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tusk wrote:
    my bedroom window overlooks a good 30 back gardens. Over the last 3 weeks trampolines have multiplied exponentially. I think they may be planning a coup.

Almost everywhere was sold out, eventually found one on Littlewoods but every other site was out of stock till July/August :eek:

It's ahem.... a bit bigger than we planned for but needs must and all (wanted a 10 footer but had to get a 14 footer)

Feck ya, Necro! You jinxed the weather when you purchased that trampoline.

Or I did when I bought new garden furniture :D

Or I did when I bought new garden furniture

That's actually also on the list but I need to see how much garden I'll have left post trampoline arrival first :pac:

I am probably in the minority but I welcome the brief change in weather. I have a metric ****tonne of work to do but there's no urgency on it so I have been putting it off because of the sun. Now that it's not sunny I will be doing the work and then having it out of the way for when the sunshine returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Delighted to see the rain this morning!

Rain washing the pollen away thank goodness

sullivlo wrote: »
    I am probably in the minority but I welcome the brief change in weather. I have a metric ****tonne of work to do but there's no urgency on it so I have been putting it off because of the sun. Now that it's not sunny I will be doing the work and then having it out of the way for when the sunshine returns.

*Insert Walrus joke here*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

anyone ever read wheel of time? they're making a tv show on it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7462410/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

it has been cast but no other details really.

hopefully it will be high end production like GOT or the witcher, rather than the disaster that was legend of the seeker (those books went of the rails towards the end)

Advertisement