Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Reading them as we speak. Loving it so far.

I will probably stick to the books though and avoid the TV show. GoT annoyed me after reading the books.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

anyone ever read wheel of time? they're making a tv show on it:

I've heard the books are great. Hopefully it doesnt get the Legend of the Seeker treatment.... that was shocking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

anyone ever read wheel of time? they're making a tv show on it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7462410/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

it has been cast but no other details really.

hopefully it will be high end production like GOT or the witcher, rather than the disaster that was legend of the seeker (those books went of the rails towards the end)

I'd watch the show rather than read the books. I probably came to them too late but there was just so much time where it felt like nothing was happening. The show might trim some of the fat.

BTW Necro, started The Dead audiobook. Very enjoyable so far.

Interesting
    bits about zombies learning. Maybe they could learn to use a gun at some point...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I really enjoyed the Wheel of Time books when I was at college, but I agree there's a lot that could be trimmed

On any other forum my username is Demandred, some bugger beat me to it on boards :p

fixXxer wrote: »
    I'd watch the show rather than read the books. I probably came to them too late but there was just so much time where it felt like nothing was happening. The show might trim some of the fat.

Did you read them all? I've heard it dips in the middle but is worth it for the end.

The one I'm on at the moment (nearly finished it), there hasn't been a whole lot of forwarding of the plot alright, but still, I was never bored and am flying through it, and feel it's laying a lot of groundwork. Maybe four or five more books with the same lack of movement will start to grate, but for now I'm loving it.

• Advertisement

On any other forum my username is Demandred, some bugger beat me to it on boards :p

Ahhhh, the last time you wrote that (elsewhere), I had no idea who that was. I now know! :P

quickbeam wrote: »
    Ahhhh, the last time you wrote that (elsewhere), I had no idea who that was. I now know! :P

Ha ha, as I wrote it I had deja vu that I'd already written that somewhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Trigger wrote: »
    *Insert Walrus joke here*

I know. I have actually listened to all of the entries and I have semi-ranked them. I just haven't been able to find time to schedule a reveal. Real life has been an absolute mess for the past few months, and I am only now beginning to get my head around things and back on track. Trying to deal with the welfare of an 84 yo with dementia, in the midst of a global pandemic, alongside some other things that I don't want to get in to, Walrus wasn't exactly on the top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Did you read them all? I've heard it dips in the middle but is worth it for the end.

The one I'm on at the moment (nearly finished it), there hasn't been a whole lot of forwarding of the plot alright, but still, I was never bored and am flying through it, and feel it's laying a lot of groundwork. Maybe four or five more books with the same lack of movement will start to grate, but for now I'm loving it.

It's been a while but I got as far as where they join the circus and stopped there,

I went to The Hyperion Cantos instead and really enjoyed it.

It's been a while but I got as far as where they join the circus and stopped there,

I went to The Hyperion Cantos instead and really enjoyed it.

I'm further on than that, and liking it.

Hyperion is on my read list too. I've put a moratorium on any more High Fantasy until this series is done though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

sullivlo wrote: »
    I know. I have actually listened to all of the entries and I have semi-ranked them. I just haven't been able to find time to schedule a reveal. Real life has been an absolute mess for the past few months, and I am only now beginning to get my head around things and back on track. Trying to deal with the welfare of an 84 yo with dementia, in the midst of a global pandemic, alongside some other things that I don't want to get in to, Walrus wasn't exactly on the top of my list.

It wasnt a dig at you Sully, just a silly joke, my own life (similar issues) got in the way of mine also, and it has been dragged out completely. Sure I'm only half way through listening to round 4 :D

Really glad you are getting your head around things, and hopefully things will start to have a bit of normality for you going forward.

Hope you guys know no one actually cares about things like a Walrus disappearing (weird sentence to write!), despite the odd jibe. Hope all's OK :)

fixXxer wrote:
    BTW Necro, started The Dead audiobook. Very enjoyable so far.

It's very good, even the vignettes are quite interesting though Kevin's story is my personal fave :) I think I'm on book 5 right now iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Necro wrote: »
    That's actually also on the list but I need to see how much garden I'll have left post trampoline arrival first :pac:

Good luck with that! Took us ages to find a suite that we liked that was in stock now and not pre-order!

Ended up ordering from here, had it within a week.

https://www.eurogardenandhome.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hope you guys know no one actually cares about things like a Walrus disappearing (weird sentence to write!), despite the odd jibe. Hope all's OK :)

Grand, cause it's going to be another week or so before the next reveal for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Rain washing the pollen away thank goodness

Amen. Head has been in bits recently from it.

Trigger wrote: »
    Grand, cause it's going to be another week or so before the next reveal for me :pac:

tumblr_mgqjur3oDt1qg0lbvo1_500.gif

While I'm posting here...
    sullivlo wrote: »
    The bread I made yesterday:

Equal volumes of greek yoghurt and self raising flour, and a pinch of salt. Mix until a dough is formed and then knead until springy. Roll to required thickness and dry fry on a hot pan. Amazing.
    Pretzill wrote: »
    I turned your flatbread into a delicious pizza base for dinner yesterday

Thanks guys, this has become a staple for our 2yr old, she loves them. So easy to make too :)

If you leave the dough in the fridge for a few hours it's so much easier to form into shape as well

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Feck ya, Necro! You jinxed the weather when you purchased that trampoline.

Or I did when I bought new garden furniture :D

Nope, you're both off the hook. I ordered a new barbecue last week so it was inevitable that the weather would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I think you will find this is all the fault of the students for not sitting the leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

While I'm posting here...

Thanks guys, this has become a staple for our 2yr old, she loves them. So easy to make too :)

If you leave the dough in the fridge for a few hours it's so much easier to form into shape as well

Me too. Any time I'm having curry now I'm breaking out the flatbreads. Delighted with them. Will try the fridge trick.

Is the wheel of time the one with a million books like SK's Dark Tower series? I think friend's recommended them to me when we started the GOT books. But the amount of them always puts me off starting. Same with the Dark Tower (also I didn't like the Gunslinger book).

Mollyb60 wrote:
    Is the wheel of time the one with a million books like SK's Dark Tower series? I think friend's recommended them to me when we started the GOT books. But the amount of them always puts me off starting. Same with the Dark Tower (also I didn't like the Gunslinger book).

Its bigger. Theres fourteen volumes, a prequel and two companion books according to wiki :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Baggly wrote: »
    I think you will find this is all the fault of the students for not sitting the leaving.

That's it.

I couldn't sleep on Tuesday night with pre-LC nerves, even though I am a) not a student and b) the thing wasn't going ahead...

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Is the wheel of time the one with a million books like SK's Dark Tower series? I think friend's recommended them to me when we started the GOT books. But the amount of them always puts me off starting.

That's them. Not a short series, for sure. But worth the effort, IMO (so far anyway).

I've the Dark Tower on my read list too, but haven't started, so can't compare them.

Just used my Audible credit for first book of the Wheel of Time series.

That'll do nicely after my current one is doneded. (Still 90 odd hours in that mind)

90 HOURS!!!!! :eek: What are you reading that is that long? Even each WoT is a lot less than that.

I hope you enjoy it. Nervous now that I've built it up too much :o

90 HOURS!!!!! :eek: What are you reading that is that long? Even each WoT is a lot less than that.

I hope you enjoy it. Nervous now that I've built it up too much :o

Ah no, it's a 12 book series in one in fairness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Reading them as we speak. Loving it so far.

I will probably stick to the books though and avoid the TV show. GoT annoyed me after reading the books.

stick with them, overall they're great! there is alot of fat alright. one of the books
    follows perrin I remember. seemed abit off track - a side quest almost.

i might read them again but currently reading terry goodkinds nicci chronicles, a spin off from sword of truth.

I'm on Book 6, am I save to read that spoiler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

its not really a spoiler. think its book 4, but not sure.

Advertisement