Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

While I'm posting here...

Thanks guys, this has become a staple for our 2yr old, she loves them. So easy to make too :)

If you leave the dough in the fridge for a few hours it's so much easier to form into shape as well

I think i'll try this too.

sullivlo wrote:
    The bread I made yesterday:

Equal volumes of greek yoghurt and self raising flour, and a pinch of salt. Mix until a dough is formed and then knead until springy. Roll to required thickness and dry fry on a hot pan. Amazing.

will have to figure out how to knead and then how to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

sKeith wrote: »
    will have to figure out how to knead and then how to roll.

For me
    kneading = squashing into a ball a few times
    rolling = stretching it out by hand

:)

For pizza bases I do wonder if regular flour might be better, I'll try that this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Hey all, just checking in from windy Malta!

I am a major book worm and currently reading Cromwells books The Last Kingdom was based on. Enjoying them thoroughly. I decided to rewatch the show slowly so that I am always ahead in the books.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Don't know the show, and don't know the series, but just looked them up there, and I do like the author. I have read some and have others on the to-read list.

We should start a FG bookclub here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

quickbeam wrote: »
    Don't know the show, and don't know the series, but just looked them up there, and I do like the author. I have read some and have others on the to-read list.

We should start a FG bookclub here :)
    I would agree with a book club, but I don’t read any science fiction or fantasy.

• Advertisement

I read lots of genres. The ones MrsF mention above aren't Sci-Fi/Fantasy, afaik.

Peronally, I don't mean a literal book club. I have too many books to read myself without squeezing in a book a month assigned by a club. I'd love a club for general book chat though.

Just checked there, 25-30% of the books I read are in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genres.

I actually want to make that a bit higher. There's a lot of great series I've yet to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I had what is now known as Sully Bread for dinner tonight - I made two small flatbreads one topped with garlic, olive oil and cheese and the other as a little pizza - delicious!

Pretzill wrote: »
    I had what is now known as Sully Bread for dinner tonight - I made two small flatbreads one topped with garlic, olive oil and cheese and the other as a little pizza - delicious!

I'm jealous. I haven't had Sully bread in a few weeks. I sprained ligaments in my thumb and I am in a splint for 4 weeks... Two weeks down, two to go. I can chop (badly) and whatnot, but kneading is a step too far for the splint :( the dough would get everywhere. I might chance it over the weekend. I am probably going to BBQ so might try make some dough.

I made a salad last week and I served it with grilled (BBQ'd) halloumi cheese. It was: cous cous (made with salt, pepper, lemon juice and water), chopped baby tomatoes, chopped cucumber, chopped red onion and loads of seasoning - salt, pepper, oregano, Balsamic... Tossed together with the halloumi on top. It was eaten outside in the sunshine with a cold can of Coke zero. It was delicious. Thinking now that some flatbread would go nicely with that.

I have a long summer ahead to try it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

What quantities of each ingredient are ye all using to make Sully bread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

sullivlo wrote: »

I made a salad last week and I served it with grilled (BBQ'd) halloumi cheese. It was: cous cous (made with salt, pepper, lemon juice and water), chopped baby tomatoes, chopped cucumber, chopped red onion and loads of seasoning - salt, pepper, oregano, Balsamic... Tossed together with the halloumi on top. It was eaten outside in the sunshine with a cold can of Coke zero. It was delicious. Thinking now that some flatbread would go nicely with that.

I have a long summer ahead to try it :)

That sounds tasty - I didn't need to knead much just brought it together with a little flour and then rolled into two 5 inch (ish) flat circles with a rolling pin - I wanted them thin.

kitten_k wrote: »
    What quantities of each ingredient are ye all using to make Sully bread?

Approx equal amounts of self raising flour and Greek yogurt. A little more flour if it's "wet" yoghurt. Knead. Roll. Dry fry on a hot pan.

I have started to watch community. I don't know if I will regret this.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The first few seasons were brilliant. Then the quality dropped a bit but it still had its moments. But the last season made by Yahoo is terrible.

First 5 series are brilliant!

After that, .......:(

The Last Kingdom is part Historical with an added character based on the authors own lineage. It is very good.

I read lots of different genre's. I had been recently reading a lot of Amanda Prowse books. She takes things that happen in life and write books and they are very good. For instance, one book was based around sepsis and all proceeds were given to the charity for sepsis. It was written to raise awareness.

Here is the lead character... :D

0_16-TLK4_JA_250919_NZ72232JPG.jpg

Here is the lead character... :D

He’s alright. But he’s no Jamie Fraser. :P

Am watching Buffy again, as E4 are showing it from the beginning. See if I can see where all the love comes from.

But, boy is it sh!te still!

- Bad acting
    - Bad effects
    - Bad action pieces
    - corny dialog
    - everyone pristine, fighting with full makeup on (90s style!!), jewellery, short skirts, and even in high heals
    - awful villians: first season's Big Evil is a guy who can barely even stand up. IIRC, the second season's is a kid who does nothing but stare dumbly!
    - no real jeapardy

Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

quickbeam wrote: »
    Am watching Buffy again, as E4 are showing it from the beginning. See if I can see where all the love comes from.

But, boy is it sh!te still!

- Bad acting
    - Bad effects
    - Bad action pieces
    - corny dialog
    - everyone pristine, fighting with full makeup on (90s style!!), jewellery, short skirts, and even in high heals
    - awful villians: first season's Big Evil is a guy who can barely even stand up. IIRC, the second season's is a kid who does nothing but stare dumbly!
    - no real jeapardy

Sorry :(

like xena and Hercules, those shows were still based in mid 90's cheese.

will give mrs. FD's a watch. is it like pillars of creation?

Does anyone else spend far too much time choosing books to read? I spend that long reading reviews that I'd have half the book read if I just went with it straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Does anyone else spend far too much time choosing books to read? I spend that long reading reviews that I'd have half the book read if I just went with it straight away.

I used to. Would spend hours in used book shops reading the backs of them and then having a look at online reviews :o

Now with Audible I feel I don't have to, I'm picking up an audiobook worth 30 or so a month for about 8 quid so I don't spend AS much time checking my purchases.

Necro wrote: »
    I used to. Would spend hours in used book shops reading the backs of them and then having a look at online reviews :o

Now with Audible I feel I don't have to, I'm picking up an audiobook worth 30 or so a month for about 8 quid so I don't spend AS much time checking my purchases.

I must try audible or even an audio book.

It's not even the 'purchase' aspect for me though. Between myself and the OH, we have a fairly large shared library on Kindle. She has a lot of books which I haven't read yet, and has recommended a bunch of them to me. Still, I ended up reading reviews on Goodreads for over an hour the other night before choosing a book.

In the end I went with the safe choice - Stephen King's Joyland.

I use GoodReads. Hear of a book I like the sound of - add it to my to-read list. Then if I’m in a bookshop or library I then tend to stop at those books that are on the list.

Seeing what friends have on their list inspires too. I've a few on there but most don’t really use it for that which is a shame.

I also have plenty of books at home I’ve yet to read but I generally have a fair idea which one I’ll read next. There’s never a day I don’t have something on the go.

like xena and Hercules, those shows were still based in mid 90's cheese.

will give mrs. FD's a watch. is it like pillars of creation?

Never heard of pillars of creation.

The Last Kingdom though is pretty damn good. It is a show that gets stronger from season to season and there isn't too much to catch up on.

I liked it more than Vikings as it seemed more historically accurate rather than taking poetic licence with history.

The baggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The baggle.

Interesting fact, the shows creator Dan Harmon pronounced Bagel that way and the writers put it in the show as a piss take of him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Did anyone watch the zoom/table read the cast did of the episode following *spoiler for Sully*
    Pierce's death?

It's on Youtube and it's pretty funny. It was really lovely to see them all in character again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

There's a new meme doing the rounds all about how awesome I am and how Drake is a dodgy f**ker... :cool:

ohWiAdI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I always love to see LeVar!
    And it did prompt me to have a quick Google as I didn't know what the story was. I think the implication there seems stronger than the stories out there...
    Millie Bobby Brown told Access Hollywood about her and Drake’s friendship. “He's honestly so fantastic. A great friend and a great role model,“ she said, excitedly. ”We just texted each other the other day and he was like 'I miss you so much,' and I was like 'I miss you more.'”

When asked what they text about, Brown replied, “About boys, he helps me.” When pushed to describe what kind of boy advice the 31-year-old rapper gives Brown, she says that “stays in the text messages.”
    Billie Eilish opened up about her friendship with Drake in an interview with Vanity Fair late last year.

She told them he's, 'The nicest dude I've ever spoken to.'

The now 18-year-old went on, 'I mean, I've only, like texted him but he's so nice.'

'Like, he does not need to be that nice, you know what I mean?'

Not long after this interview, Drake faced backlash online from people who felt their text exchange was creepy.

Billie tells Vogue that this online reaction is ridiculous, 'The internet is such a stupid a** mess right now.'

'Everybody's so sensitive.'

She questions, 'A grown man can't be a fan of an artist?'

'There are so many people that the internet should be more worried about.'

Billie can't understand the thought process of those criticising Drake.

'Like, you're really going to say that Drake is creepy because he's a fan of mine, and then you're going to go vote for Trump?'

'What the f**k is that s**t?'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Approx equal amounts of self raising flour and Greek yogurt. A little more flour if it's "wet" yoghurt. Knead. Roll. Dry fry on a hot pan.
    I've just redone a tiny batch there, to figure out better the quantities.

I don't have any scales, so everything done by volume and with tablespoons. Maybe they are equal by weight, but as i don't weight anything, maybe thats why i was so off and had to add so much more flour.

So, I have found, to get the dough non sticky, and be able to work with it, i needed a little over twice the quantity of flour as to greek yogurt, measuring by volume.

and 2 tablespoonful of yogurt and 4 tablespoonful of flour with pinch of salt, is enough to make a decent pan size sample.

Advertisement