Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Tigger wrote: »
    No but we shouldn’t misrepresent what he wrote

We're not misrepresenting you either, we were talking sh1te then and we're still talking sh1te now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

We're not misrepresenting you either, we were talking sh1te then and we're still talking sh1te now

Yeah, I don't think there's an intention to misrepresent.

But if it's gonna cause an issue we can take our sh1te talk to a new thread for the sake of everyone's sanity :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Banjo wrote: »
    Go.
    Cancun is soulless. Visit but don't stay there. It's just a ****ing dual carriageway with a bunch of hotels on it preventing you from accessing the beach, and a Senior Frogs. There is a town, but it's almost independent of the tourist strip. Don't go scuba diving unless you're reasonably experienced. Cowboys will get you killed throwing you into very strong currents that you will need to know how to deal with.

Mexico is an incredibly varied country. Whatever you want to see, they probably have it. It's like New Zealand that way but with far more gang-related murders. Personally I'd recommend Merida, a couple of days to see the Copper Canyon (you can catch a train from Chihuahua), and some time in Mexico City (but with a mask, the air is awful and you'll have a persistent cough for months afterwards).

Gotta say you're not selling it to me!

Necrominus wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think there's an intention to misrepresent.

But if it's gonna cause an issue we can take our sh1te talk to a new thread for the sake of everyone's sanity :p

yeah if the mods think it better to close this one and we'll start another, that's grand. It would be silly in the meantime to have 2 threads open which essentially fulfil the same purpose tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Tigger wrote: »
    I really don’t understand why my thread was taken an changed repeatedly to what ever Pter thinks is funny
    Surely it should be shut and he should start his own thread?

So as I’ve seen before
    Mods please shut thread
    Or row name correctly as

"WW forum - off topic thread - introduction of the vaniligers"
    yeah if the mods think it better to close this one and we'll start another, that's grand. It would be silly in the meantime to have 2 threads open which essentially fulfil the same purpose tho.

As I said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I don't think we need two OT threads, so if Tigger wants a new one started then this one should be closed.

Can't help but feel that a few posters are just repeating the same thing now in order to pad out their post-count. There's definitely at least one wolf in that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

Can't help but feel that a few posters are just repeating the same thing now in order to pad out their post-count. There's definitely at least one wolf in that group.

Ah geez, I didn't realise it was so obvious :D

Ah geez, I didn't realise it was so obvious :D

Poor MrsFlushdraw, even in the OT thread you come across as someone who wants to burn the village down with napalm :pac:

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Gotta say you're not selling it to me!

Well, the hubby got up and is going golfing but then they are going to a market. so there is other things to do. It looks beautiful though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

quickbeam wrote: »
    When, where?

FFS! Now it just looks like I started a thread with those words, like an idiot.

(jk :P)

Poor MrsFlushdraw, even in the OT thread you come across as someone who wants to burn the village down with napalm :pac:

Harsh! :pac:

FFS! Now it just looks like I started a thread with those words, like an idiot.

(jk :P)

Congrats on your new thread. Hope you like it! I think a name change is in order to honour our new overlord :p

All your talk of Cancún and New Zealand...

I'm just heading for Lake Garda for two weeks next month. Eurocamps to keep the kids happy. Looking forward to it though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Mollyb60 wrote: »

Now New Zealand on the other hand..........holy ****. Next on my list of big holidays. Costed it out at around £6,000 for the 2 of us for 3 weeks though. :(

The single best country to travel in the world. I spent about 6500 euros for myself and the other half for a month not including flights. Hiked a glacier, did a bungy, jumped out of a plane spent time in a Maori village and seen some spectacular natural sights. Id go back in heartbeat, well worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

All your talk of Cancún and New Zealand...

I'm just heading for Lake Garda for two weeks next month. Eurocamps to keep the kids happy. Looking forward to it though :D

Its a great spot, great view, great locals, great food....GREAT GELATO!

I would say enjoy the weather, but we all know you'll be playing Werewolf in yer room over there :)

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Its a great spot, great view, great locals, great food....GREAT GELATO!

I would say enjoy the weather, but we all know you'll be playing Werewolf in yer room over there :)

:pac::pac::pac:

Nah the laptop has been banned from the trip and I'm only allowed on the phone in the evenings. It's a fair compromise given the rest of the year I play as much, and as often as I can. :p

As an aside would anyone be interested in experiencing a one-shot D&D dungeon to try out the game?

A couple of us are thinking of giving DMing a lash and if anyone was interested, give me a shout. Can be as fast or slow as you like, we'll work out those details when we get it up and running.

Nah the laptop has been banned from the trip and I'm only allowed on the phone in the evenings. It's a fair compromise given the rest of the year I play as much, and as often as I can. :p

I still think your wife has left you already and your too busy playing on boards to realise.

As an aside would anyone be interested in experiencing a one-shot D&D dungeon to try out the game?

A couple of us are thinking of giving DMing a lash and if anyone was interested, give me a shout. Can be as fast or slow as you like, we'll work out those details when we get it up and running.

Ugh I've been toying with the idea for ages but seems like a lot of commitment. What's required?

• Advertisement

Sell it to me, How do you play/ Win. Ive no idea how it really works.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Ugh I've been toying with the idea for ages but seems like a lot of commitment. What's required?

Well as opposed to the longer campaign that Fourier runs this would be basically a scenario where for example:

You get dropped off in a dungeon and have to explore, battle some monsters and escape with the loot.

Once we iron out the kinks we'll be tossing a sign up thread up.

Commitment we could go one day/evening a week, or more if people wanted until the dungeon concluded.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Sell it to me, How do you play/ Win. Ive no idea how it really works.

The basic premise is you create your own character from a set of predefined types. First one would be using 1st Edition rules so they would be:

(Dwarf, Elf, Cleric, Magic-User, Halfling, Fighter)

Basically then the DM (Dungeon Master) creates the scenario and you try to work as a team (or not, up to the players) to get through it.

Situations will come up where the DM will ask you to roll against one of your stats (Stats are Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma).
    The rolls take place on a seperate site which you can input dice rolls to get a result.
    The stats are pre defined at character creation stage.

For a better explanation, here's a few posts from Fourier:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105159100&postcount=21

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105162422&postcount=32

Well as opposed to the longer campaign that Fourier runs this would be basically a scenario where for example:

You get dropped off in a dungeon and have to explore, battle some monsters and escape with the loot.

Once we iron out the kinks we'll be tossing a sign up thread up.

Commitment we could go one day/evening a week, or more if people wanted until the dungeon concluded.

Feck it, depending on dates I'll give it a bash. Should be able to commit to one night a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The basic premise is you create your own character from a set of predefined types. First one would be using 1st Edition rules so they would be:

Basically then the DM (Dungeon Master) creates the scenario and you try to work as a team (or not, up to the players) to get through it.

Situations will come up where the DM will ask you to roll against one of your stats (Stats are Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma).
    The rolls take place on a seperate site which you can input dice rolls to get a result.

Might be intersted in this, thanks Necro.

I LOVE how much you've gotten into this. :D If you need any help let me know.

D&D New Player Sign Up Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

D&D is great offline too, if anyone has the oppurtunity to play with friends (DM if you have to, its easy to start out) I highly recommend getting a few beers and playing a session

D&D is great offline too, if anyone has the oppurtunity to play with friends (DM if you have to, its easy to start out) I highly recommend getting a few beers and playing a session

Take it from Digi, the most notable thing about him is that "he likes D&D and phones and stuff"....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Next beers?

Pter wrote: »
    Next beers?

Yeah that's a great idea actually, we'd need somewhere quieter again than TPs, we'd probably need twice the table space we had in TPs too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yeah that's a great idea actually, we'd need somewhere quieter again than TPs, we'd probably need twice the table space we had in TPs too

Pter's gaff it is so! :)

Pter's gaff it is so! :)

No-one has ever described my place as quiet. Not sure wild children running around lends itself to d&d

Pter wrote:
    No-one has ever described my place as quiet. Not sure wild children running around lends itself to d&d

They're just nymphs for flavour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Leitrim?

• Advertisement

Kolido wrote: »
    Leitrim?

Plenty of quiet anyways, Strawbs might host yeah?

there's a few stores in Dublin might accomodate

Kolido wrote: »
    Leitrim?

Sligo works too so I don't have to travel. I'll book the backroom in the local for a D&D convention.

Landlord will think I'm nuts. :P

Did I hear you lot wanna come to Leitrim? :)

I’ll dust off the good crystal

I'm bored at work. Someone entertain me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I'm bored at work. Someone entertain me.
    codenames friendly ? i'm game.

• Advertisement

sKeith wrote: »
    codenames friendly ? i'm game.

Yeah, sure. Be driving home from 6-7 but can play aside from that.

Takes me back to my childhood, minus the beer!

Spent 5 nights a week playing with my mates who lived beside me. I was very rarely DM as we had one guy who was great at it and ran really good campaigns. Looking back, he was a sick fcuk lol, but they were fun.

I was talking yesterday to the sister of one of the guys we played with, she never got into it. I was the only female in the group.

My folks thought we were devil worshipping or something as they came home to mine to smell candles etc and wondered what we were doing. They just didn't get it!

When I split with my ex I lost all my gaming stuff that I had kept from my teen years. All my character sheets, I kept every single one. And my dice which were my pride and joy.

Oh, My one night ultimate werewolf game arrived yesterday. Next quiz night at mine will end with a game of this for sure.

Grumpy, ya in?? :p

Takes me back to my childhood, minus the beer!

Spent 5 nights a week playing with my mates who lived beside me. I was very rarely DM as we had one guy who was great at it and ran really good campaigns. Looking back, he was a sick fcuk lol, but they were fun.

I was talking yesterday to the sister of one of the guys we played with, she never got into it. I was the only female in the group.

My folks thought we were devil worshipping or something as they came home to mine to smell candles etc and wondered what we were doing. They just didn't get it!

When I split with my ex I lost all my gaming stuff that I had kept from my teen years. All my character sheets, I kept every single one. And my dice which were my pride and joy.

D&D and Devil Worship are linked all the time actually, so your folks weren't alone. Its fairly regular to see people on the D&D subreddit looking for advice because their parents wont let them play as its witchcraft or devil worship and stuff like that.

I remember one where someone was on trial, and part of their defense was that they were playing D&D that night. Their lawyers reaction was to forget that, and had to be shown a podcast of the session as proof that they didn't light candles, dress up, worship devils before trying to sacrifice someone :D

Question for people: Do many of your RL mates/family etc know about your online gaming? What's their general reaction?

My wife - at times - enjoys me regaling her of ongoing games, and has even had some input into the ones I've created myself (The Maleficent role in Disney for example was her creation). Then there are times when she gets annoyed because I've been on that 'bloody laptop for the past 3 days straight.' :pac:
    My eldest sees me typing away at my latest post and comes up to me - 'Daddy which game are you playing today? The Wolf one? Or the Dragon one?' Or, more recently, 'the Vampire one?' I've even told him bedtime stories of some of the D&D adventures. Saving the WW and Vampire ones for another few years though. :P

I was also recently rumbled by my mates who discovered my boards name and they take great joy in screening my posts on our various WhatsApp groups in an attempt to embarrass me.
    Funny thing is, it doesn't, and I reckon if they were to sign up here for a game (working on it) they'd love it.

I kinda get it, before I discovered WW, and more recently play by post RPGs such as D&D (and Vampire... absolutely fave game in the universe) I probably would have had preconceived notions about people who partook in these activities.

I'm very glad to have been completely and utterly wrong having played here with you folks, gone to a live games night (thanks Tig, next time I'll buy dinner ;) ), and even met with some of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Saving the WW and Vampire ones for another few years though. :P
    "And was Lysander in trouble then Daddy?"

"Of course not, he just suffocated the flesh crafting cannibals in their own mansion, it was easy to do after he murdered his friend."

"Was that before or after he burnt Clarissa's friends alive?"

"Oh after, now go to sleep you little scamp"

Question for people: Do many of your RL mates/family etc know about your online gaming? What's their general reaction?

My wife - at times - enjoys me regaling her of ongoing games, and has even had some input into the ones I've created myself (The Maleficent role in Disney for example was her creation). Then there are times when she gets annoyed because I've been on that 'bloody laptop for the past 3 days straight.' :pac:
    My eldest sees me typing away at my latest post and comes up to me - 'Daddy which game are you playing today? The Wolf one? Or the Dragon one?' Or, more recently, 'the Vampire one?' I've even told him bedtime stories of some of the D&D adventures. Saving the WW and Vampire ones for another few years though. :P

I was also recently rumbled by my mates who discovered my boards name and they take great joy in screening my posts on our various WhatsApp groups in an attempt to embarrass me.
    Funny thing is, it doesn't, and I reckon if they were to sign up here for a game (working on it) they'd love it.

I kinda get it, before I discovered WW, and more recently play by post RPGs such as D&D (and Vampire... absolutely fave game in the universe) I probably would have had preconceived notions about people who partook in these activities.

I'm very glad to have been completely and utterly wrong having played here with you folks, gone to a live games night (thanks Tig, next time I'll buy dinner ;) ), and even met with some of you.

Most of my RL friends introduced me to gaming so yeah they know. Lol. Maybe not online though but they still know coz I've told them.

I'm glad you've embraced the gamer life Necro. A bit of fantasy never hurt anyone.
    My 6 year old nephew took great amusement in telling me recently that I'm a NERD. I said 'yes I am. Isn't that cool?' He thought I was hilarious. :rolleyes:

Necrominus wrote:

Yeah most of my friends know, I tried to convert some of the and some of their partners too, the conversion failed tho :(

I live with my sister and she knows all about it, I fill her in on all the drama every evening like it's a soap or something, she's a big gamer so when I'm playing it means she can have the TV for fallout or whatever she's at with no objection from me so she's happy out

My wife humours me as long as playing doesn't interfere with putting the kids to bed.

The kids think it's great because I let them watch paw patrol at bedtime when I should be putting them to bed.

I'm sad to say I feel like I'm living a double life. Vast majority of my RL friends wouldn't be into it at all. I've always been somewhat of the nerd of the group. I used to be embarrassed by that, I couldn't give a **** anymore! Life's too short. I'm still reluctant to share the extent of it though. I've changed my boards name a few times because RL friends found out my account name somehow. I prefer anonymity. My ex looked at me with two heads when I was describing the WW star wars game we had here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement