Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oh that’s tough. Do we get clues?

Easy lyric says andy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Necro wrote: »
    Oooh Molly here's another lyric for ya:

'Or ride our bike around the halls?'

Bonus points to anyone who gets that without Google :P

....I think some company is overdue!!

usually I have to search for the melody in my mind when I see the lyrics but I know that one so well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

....I think some company is overdue!!

usually I have to search for the melody in my mind when I see the lyrics but I know that one so well!!

It's the rhythm for me, if I can recognise the rhythm of the line in my head it makes it so much easier to get the melody to follow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Happy birthday Molly!

No idea on the lyric. Not surprisingly.

Okay Googled unit. I don’t feel bad for not knowing it.

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    Okay Googled unit. I don’t feel bad for not knowing it.

Haha snap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I had to google it too. I haven’t seen the movie because someone spoiled the ending for me so I won’t watch it on principal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

"I see you leave your table, pushing through the crowd"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

"I see you leave your table, pushing through the crowd"

Sung to the tune of

"I see you baby, shaking dat ass"

I’m trying to help someone change boards back over to touch site but it’s proving difficult. Wanted them to send me a screenshot so I could see if they were on full site or responsive but we’re having difficulty with that too.

Are there a few around here that know what they’re doing? If I send them here we might be able to get them sorted. Might get fresh blood for game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I’m trying to help someone change boards back over to touch site but it’s proving difficult. Wanted them to send me a screenshot so I could see if they were on full site or responsive but we’re having difficulty with that too.

Are there a few around here that know what they’re doing? If I send them here we might be able to get them sorted. Might get fresh blood for game too.

This the guy on the weather forum? I think you covered all the bases possible tbh :D

I can help (I think). On mobile or PC?

Yeah. We’ll get them sorted, I have faith in us!!!

I’ve sent them link to here rather than me sending PMs

I can help (I think). On mobile or PC?

They’re on phone. I was PMing to see if I could help. Looks like they changed to full site but can’t get back to touch site. They can’t see the options at the bottom of the screen. When in a thread, the last text when they scroll to bottom says back to forum/next thread/etc. They can’t see the legal jargon and option to switch sites that I do.

Options don’t appear when in a thread but click on the ‘Boards’ at the top then scroll down the ‘touch’ option should be there. Will need to go back up and click on ‘Boards’ to activate for some reason.

Yep, said that but still the same

Oh ... :(

Print screens then to see what’s up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Are you on a screen that doesn't exist in touch site? Click the boards logo and start from the front page then hit touch.
    Make sure you're not in Desktop View (browser setting)
    Uh ... Are you wearing varifocals? Look up/down!

I’ve told them to come here and they said they would. I dunno the answers to your questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Unless they are on responsive site then scroll down and select legacy site. Scroll down again and select touch site. Other than without a screenshot it's pretty impossible

They got sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Good work team

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

They got sorted

Does that mean they are not coming out to play????

kitten_k wrote: »
    Does that mean they are not coming out to play????

Awwww kitty. I hope they do. I sent them link to celeb game and told them they had to sign up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Awwww kitty. I hope they do. I sent them link to celeb game and told them they had to sign up

Hopefully they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Can the mods of the brexit game do single transferrable votes for the lynch, I know it'll be more difficult and time consuming for the mods, but I think it would be a nice experiment, and the brexit game would be a perfect oppurtunity to try something other than first past the post voting.

sKeith wrote: »
    Can the mods of the brexit game do single transferrable votes for the lynch, I know it'll be more difficult and time consuming for the mods, but I think it would be a nice experiment, and the brexit game would be a perfect oppurtunity to try something other than first past the post voting.

*Suggesting Irish voting system in a game about Brexit*

That's a paddling :pac:

UK use FPTP!

• Advertisement

*Suggesting Irish voting system in a game about Brexit*

That's a paddling :pac:

UK use FPTP!

Single transferable voting is used in UK, Scotland & N.I, Malta, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Australia, New Zealand and the United States.
    Its the grown up way of voting :D

Single transferable voting is used in UK, Scotland & N.I, Malta, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Australia, New Zealand and the United States.
    Its the grown up way of voting :D

Err...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote

No it isn't :p

Only used in Scotland and NI.

Err...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote

No it isn't :p

Only used in Scotland and NI.

No it isn't what?
    Are you saying Scotland and N.I are not in the UK. Thats a mad statement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

No it isn't what?
    Are you saying Scotland and N.I are not in the UK. Thats a mad statement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

Scotland only uses it for council elections.
    NI in fairness uses it for all.

But England and Wales (also in the UK) use FPTP.

You also omitted that Ireland (top of the link I sent you) use STV.
    As I said initially :D

Also referendum votes don't use STV, it's a simple Yes/No answer (Brexit - not so simple but that's for politics)

And the US only use STV for small unimportant stuff - they use FPTP for the Presidential and Government elections

Scotland only uses it for council elections.
    NI in fairness uses it for all.

But England and Wales (also in the UK) use FPTP.

You also omitted that Ireland (top of the link I sent you) use STV.
    As I said initially :D

Also referendum votes don't use STV, it's a simple Yes/No answer (Brexit - not so simple but that's for politics)

And the US only use STV for small unimportant stuff - they use FPTP for the Presidential and Government elections

I didn't include, omitted, Ireland becuase i thought we both knew we used it.

I said UK, Scotland & N.I, to emphasize which parts of UK do use STV in whatever form they do, then I said, grown ups use it, refering to the, imho, silly or childish non use of it at all in england and wales and other regions of the uk in there general elections.

Necro, are you suggesting that in a referendum Yes votes should be transferrable to No votes after a certain count is reached?
    Are you currently sitting on a jelly throne whispering to a shoe that you call mistress about the time you and the moon went skiing in the Maldives?

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Necro, are you suggesting that in a referendum Yes votes should be transferrable to No votes after a certain count is reached?
    Are you currently sitting on a jelly throne whispering to a shoe that you can mistress about the time you and the moon went skiing in the Maldives?

No, I'm saying that STV is not applicable to Brexit :P

But it can be used effectively in lynching those who are playing the brexit game and to hold them to account in the most democratic way we know. :D

Man, this **** is whiff whaff, total ****ing whiff whaff!

But it could work - each villager has to vote crust, filling and custard. If you get one of each vote you're out, but if you reach three of one vote first you're exempt from all other votes. Unless Rhubarb rules are in effect and then you HAVE to get a Sugar vote or all you votes count as Sour. Scoring an Umami Triumvirate makes you immune to the next vote cycle on any biharmonious derivation. It's so simple it practically runs itself.

Or we could do it on a rainbow scale.
    Richard votes off york, but if he votes to give battles in retailation, then i can only conclude it was because of pure vanity.
    Those big black boys may just as well rape all of our young girls and get way with it, cause how are we preventing it?
    Can we ever excuse old anut sally after that?
    Who could ever go about serving mothers after that, no matter how well eduacted they claim to be.
    I for one would never get in a plane flown by any bear, especially a bloody grizzly bear!

a596c9e8561294daab2cd28899037e70?AccessKeyId=85E3F8C4753FE3227516&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

tenor.gif?itemid=4850067

• Advertisement

Mustn’t be a grown up. But it I’ve never understood proportional representation though I’ve had multiple people try and explain it multiple times.

Mustn’t be a grown up. But it I’ve never understood proportional representation though I’ve had multiple people try and explain it multiple times.

2 seats.

fred josh dan rose & mary

fred is way cool, everybody wants him in,

but josh dan jill and mary have mad fight for second place.

simplify it to 10 people voting

fdjm
    fmjd
    mfdr
    drfm
    fmdr
    jfmd
    fjmr
    dfmr
    fdjm
    fmdj

votes are in
    ffmdf jfdff
    ffffff dd j m

so rose got 0 vote, shes out.
    anyone who vote rose transfers.

nodody voted rose first, so no votes transfered.

so we lose josh and mary.

so j and m votes transfer

mfdr
    and
    jfmd

thats

frd and fmd

so

ffffffff dd
    and since it a 2 seat place, they both get a seat.

probaby could have done a less decisive vote and got a better swing, but i just made it all up, so, fred was popular.

well, #2243 was instant runoff voting.
    Surprised Necro thanked it without me doing quota.

Let's see what te result of this electio is with STV, and not IRV.
    so, 2 seats with 10 votes means 5 votes will get you a seat, anything above that is not needed so should transfer.

f = fdjm,fmjd,fmdr,fjmr,fdjm. elected, suplus moves on
    m = mfdr, mdj
    d = drfm,dfmr
    j = jfmd

so fred is in and jill is knocked out.
    jills vote moves to mary and mary gets the seat.

So in this count using STV Fred and Mary are in, but if i randed the list and count again, i could get a different result, thats the one part of stv that i'm not so sure about,

What made these votes fdjm,fmjd,fmdr,fjmr,fdjm less transferrable than fmdj, well, it turns out that there was the most m transfers in the fred votes, so maybe it worked out well, maybe they are relying on the statistics. If a dan tranfer wasn't counted first though, then we get a different result. Is that why we here of people asking for recounts, and those recounts changing the result.

So STV game us Fred and Mary, and IRV game us Fred and Dan.

well, #2243 was instant runoff voting.
    Surprised Necro thanked it without me doing quota.

Let's see what te result of this electio is with STV, and not IRV.
    so, 2 seats with 10 votes means 5 votes will get you a seat, anything above that is not needed so should transfer.

f = fdjm,fmjd,fmdr,fjmr,fdjm. elected, suplus moves on
    m = mfdr, mdj
    d = drfm,dfmr
    j = jfmd

so fred is in and jill is knocked out.
    jills vote moves to mary and mary gets the seat.

So in this count using STV Fred and Mary are in, but if i randed the list and count again, i could get a different result, thats the one part of stv that i'm not so sure about,

What made these votes fdjm,fmjd,fmdr,fjmr,fdjm less transferrable than fmdj, well, it turns out that there was the most m transfers in the fred votes, so maybe it worked out well, maybe they are relying on the statistics. If a dan tranfer wasn't counted first though, then we get a different result. Is that why we here of people asking for recounts, and those recounts changing the result.

So STV game us Fred and Mary, and IRV game us Fred and Dan.

No, Fred's votes would be distributed first as he reached the quota before any elimination took place.

It's done this way:

1. A candidate who has reached or exceeded the quota is declared elected.

2. If any such elected candidate has more votes than the quota, the excess votes are transferred to other candidates based on their next indicated choice. The surplus votes that would have gone to the winner go to the next preference. This can be done in several ways.
    3. If no-one new meets the quota, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and those votes are transferred to each voter's next preferred candidate.
    4. This process repeats until either a winner is found for every seat or there are as many seats as remaining candidates.

So - not random.

Candidate reaches quota, in your example Fred then any votes over are distributed.
    If no one reaches the quota then from his distribution the lowest candidate would be eliminated and their votes distributed.
    And so on until another is elected.

Although, if your quota is 5 there's no surplus so Jill is in fact eliminated.

No, Fred's votes would be distributed first as he reached the quota before any elimination took place.

It's done this way:

1. A candidate who has reached or exceeded the quota is declared elected.

2. If any such elected candidate has more votes than the quota, the excess votes are transferred to other candidates based on their next indicated choice. The surplus votes that would have gone to the winner go to the next preference. This can be done in several ways.
    3. If no-one new meets the quota, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and those votes are transferred to each voter's next preferred candidate.
    4. This process repeats until either a winner is found for every seat or there are as many seats as remaining candidates.

So - not random.

Candidate reaches quota, in your example Fred then any votes over are distributed.
    If no one reaches the quota then from his distribution the lowest candidate would be eliminated and their votes distributed.
    And so on until another is elected.
    if you look at the mary votes, her second vote in italics was a fred surplus vote (fmdj). That transfered onto mary, but if that vote had of been counted earlier, and fdjm was the surplus vote, then dan would have won the seat.

if you look at the mary votes, her second vote in italics was a fred surplus vote (fmdj). That transfered onto mary, but if that vote had of been counted earlier, and fdjm was the surplus vote, then dan would have won the seat.

Yeah, but as Fred exactly hit the quota (more unlikely in an actual election) then he has no surplus to distribute so Jill would be eliminated and Mary would get that vote.

She'd be elected without reaching the quota as Dan would be eliminated next.

Yeah, but as Fred exactly hit the quota (more unlikely in an actual election) then he has no surplus to distribute so Jill would be eliminated and Mary would get that vote.

She'd be elected without reaching the quota as Dan would be eliminated next.
    there was 6 votes for fred with a quota of 5, so 1 vote transfers.

f 6
    m1
    j 1
    d 2

would be first count. with transfering freds surplus.

there was 6 votes for fred with a quota of 5, so 1 vote transfers.

Ah yes, I got confuddled as I thought your example was count 1 whereas you showed votes after surplus distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

As an outsider I hope I don’t misspeak; you are over complicating things and making what is essentially an easy enough game seem really hard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement