Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7.5 X 55 SWISS

Options
  • 28-10-2016 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Anyone here shooting a k31 or any other rifle chambered for the 7.5 x 55 swiss ? Do you find ammunition easy to get here and is it expensive for fmj range fodder ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I currently have three Swiss rifles - K11, K31 and a K31-action 300m match rifle.

Here in mainland UK there is NO GP11 - the Swiss milsurp ammunition.

Assuming that you are in the Republic, there is only one choice for you. That's the Prvi Partizan 174gr emulation cartridge. It's good stuff, but around 200fps slower in a K31 than the real thing. I only know of one possible source of this stuff, and that's John over at Fingal Sports in Naul. UK price is now around £70/C, but YMMD.

Maybe.

I've never seen anything except a Swiss military rifle chambered for the Swiss 7.5x55 cartridge, but I know that Norma makes a hunting soft point cartridge at around 220eu/C.

If you have yen for something with easier to find fodder, get yourself a Swedish Mauser - shoots pretty easy-to-find 6.5x55SE with a wide range of target AND hunting bullets from 90gr up to 160gr. My only Elk was shot from around 70m with an open-sighted m/38 short rifle. He dropped like a sack of ****, and weighed out at just over 1100#, but he WAS starving, hence the cull. Ammunition was the 140gr Norma partition bullet. Just blew his poor old heart to shreds, bless him. Respect.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I had a feeling that the old military surplus ammo would be long gone. The k31 is a rifle apart though, compared to any other military bolt action i can think of, in design and build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

There was only one importer of GP11 into this country, who p*ssed in our collective hats one fine afternoon when we'd driven around a hundred miles to collect our allotment. Five of us were collecting about 700 rounds each, when he casually announced that the price had gone up by a mere 40%.

We left him holding it.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there seems to be no shortage of GP11 that is 14 years NEWER than the lot he has, and we now here that RUAG have made a few million more - many thousands of us still shoot this stuff all over the world. In Canada one dealer has just received a truckload of it.

You like the K31? The IG1911 is smoother and feels sweeter to shoot. The K11 also feels nicer, to me.

Not trying to put you off - as I noted, the Swedish Mauser is a lot easier to feed, there are target versions readily available out of the Frivilliga Skytterorelsen (FSR) Volunteer Shooters' Organization, too. The dedicated target versions - CG63 and CG80 are there, and if you are feeling flush, the sharpshooters, too. Called m/41a and b, they are pretty costy, but shoot like mad things.

tac

Advertisement