Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking sharing accommodation from abroad, could an agency help?

Options
  • 28-10-2016 11:36pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy. My partner moved over to the UK a year or so ago for work and has secured work bsck on Dublin starting January. She's struggling to find suitable sharing accommodation mainly no replies or its a already taken. Part of the problem is she can't view it or they want someone now.

It's been suggested she hire an agent to assist? Never heard of it so said I'd ask here.:)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sully wrote: »
    Howdy. My partner moved over to the UK a year or so ago for work and has secured work bsck on Dublin starting January. She's struggling to find suitable sharing accommodation mainly no replies or its a already taken. Part of the problem is she can't view it or they want someone now.

It's been suggested she hire an agent to assist? Never heard of it so said I'd ask here.:)

Thanks

If she's looking to share she has to view it in person, with the current supply v demand situation there is no way anyone is going to rent to someone they haven't met.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

athtrasna wrote: »
    If she's looking to share she has to view it in person, with the current supply v demand situation there is no way anyone is going to rent to someone they haven't met.
    People get jobs without meeting their employer in person (by telephone interview) so I hardly think there's no way it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lumen wrote: »
    People get jobs without meeting their employer in person (by telephone interview) so I hardly think there's no way it can be done.

I think the point is that there's no need to bother with the hassle of an agent or a video call when there's dozens of people queuing at your front door.

Also from stories of the young lads in our office if you don't make an impression on the current tenants and aren't prepared to move in asap you generally hear nothing more.

Lumen wrote: »

Last time I advertised my spare room I had over 100 replies and that was 12 months ago and things have gotten worse since then. There was no way I would have chosen someone I hadn't met and from meeting the ones I did I know that was the right call. People can be very different on the phone or on email compared to in real life. With demand where it is anyone would be foolish not to meet the person they were about to hand keys to.

It's easy to let someone go from a job, not to easy to kick someone who has your house keys and alarm codes out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So realistically she just needs to be here and ready to jump to view accommodation. Looking from the UK or using an agency won't help? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

There is also the fact that a lot of landlords are looking for an employer reference or evidence of employment.

She should book an Airbnb for at least a week when she comes over so that she has a bit of time to find a place.

An agent may be able to help find an apartment /house to rent but they don't deal in renting rooms in houseshares

Advertisement