Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin & Oily Hair

Options
  • 28-10-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Had the realization of just how thin my hair is today.Always has been quite thin, but this really surprised.I also have the added blessing of it getting extremely greasy to the extent I need to wash it every second day.(It's like a chipper on day 2 though :o). Is there anything I could do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Might be worth switching up your shampoo and conditioner. If you're using anything that's heavy on silicones, it will weigh your hair down and make it greasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Milly33

I wouldnt say I had thin hair but with you on the oily hair... Tried and tested a lot of shampoos, inc all these volumising ones and most of them are rubbish.. Have you tried any of the more natural shampoos from the health food stores.. Purchased a Tea Tree one and Lavender one recently and found that I could easily get three days out of my hair now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Hi op. I'm using a la roche posay shampoo for greasy scalp now the last few weeks. made a big difference.
    I'll get three days no problem now as opposed to a day without washing.
    I just use a mild coconut conditioner through the middle and ends of my hair.
    Shampoo was about €12 on sam mcauleys but a little goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

Thanks lads,I'll look around for some different,natural or even just better quality shampoo.I've been using Aussie shampoo and conditioner for the last while,but if it means less greasy,thicker hair,I'm all for paying that bit extra

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Im in the same boat OP. My hair is miserably thin.

I dont even get a full day out of my hair after its being washed. Its stuck to my head by 9 or 10 every night.
    I have tried loads of shampoos and conditioners. with this, without that. reverse washing. no conditioner.......

Ive read loads of times that if you dont wash your hair as often it will help with the greasiness as it get used to it not being washed. that isn't really an option for me as I work 5 days a week and I wouldn't go anywhere with manky greasy hair.

I found the loreal extradinary clay good for a while. My hair looked fresher in the evening and not as disgusting in the morning the following morning. It seemed to have gotten used to that now as its back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Milly33 wrote: »
    I wouldnt say I had thin hair but with you on the oily hair... Tried and tested a lot of shampoos, inc all these volumising ones and most of them are rubbish.. Have you tried any of the more natural shampoos from the health food stores.. Purchased a Tea Tree one and Lavender one recently and found that I could easily get three days out of my hair now...

I have very fine and greasy hair and would also recommend this. Faith in Nature is the one I go for (Here's Health, Cork or Health Matters, Dublin often have offers online or in store). Also go easy on the conditioner. I've found having a very brief wash reduces the need for conditioner, possibly because you don't wash out the natural oils to the same extent. Still have to wash it every second day, but a quick one suffices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I've also stopped washing my hair in the shower.
    I know it sound weird but the water from the shower seems more hard or something.
    I wash my hair at the kitchen sink.

Thats the brand Twill just checked Faith in Nature and Avanlon were the two i got to test. I find the Avalon Lavendar one really dries out any grease and the faith on just lovely and refreshing. They were about €7 - €8 for a bottle but you dont use much

Best of luck with the finding what works OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

I have depressingly thin flat hair. I recently got some extensions put in and it makes me feel much better but I find dry shampoo the best thing ever invented. It volumises and gives my hair amazing body. I recommend trying this

I've considered extensions for volume but wasn't sure how they would look in fine hair. How are you finding maintenance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Mollyd90 wrote:
    I found the loreal extradinary clay good for a while. My hair looked fresher in the evening and not as disgusting in the morning the following morning. It seemed to have gotten used to that now as its back

I read something online about that Shampoo having mineral salts in it. These apparantly can cause a problem when getting your hair highlighted.
    May be worth saying you use it to your hair dresser if you are getting them done.

I have fine greasy hair too and am really struggling to find a good shampoo. I got the nioxin one from Peter Marks and am only finding it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Mollyd90 wrote:

I read something online about that Shampoo having mineral salts in it. These apparantly can cause a problem when getting your hair highlighted.
    May be worth saying you use it to your hair dresser if you are getting them done.

I have fine greasy hair too and am really struggling to find a good shampoo. I got the nioxin one from Peter Marks and am only finding it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Miaireland wrote: »

i have highlighted hair and its getting a green tinge to it. I blamed the water and not having enough salt in the water softener, we havent changed house and I dont swim so was wondering what had changed.

but now that I think of it the green has started around the same time as I started using that shampoo. I rang out about 3 weeks ago and am just using whatever half bottle I left in cupboard. I cant see much of a difference so probably wouldn't buy it again.

Advertisement