Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-assessing an assessor's insurance claim after payout

Options
  • 29-10-2016 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭

I had house damage and got an assessor recommended by the insurer (naive I know).

He agreed to the amount recommended by the builder and I thought it was fine, but I've been told that I should have got an independent assessor in so that I could possibly have claimed more.

Thing is, I signed off with the assessor, plus I've cashed in the cheque from the insurance company, so I think there's no way of claiming extra at this stage, or is it possible to claim that the assessor didn't assess the damage correctly even at this late stage?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Will the claim payout cover the damages?
    If not, why not?
    And if it does, why do you expect more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

No point in trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted. It is up to you to prove your claim. You offered your evidence which was accepted. It is now a fait accompli. Better luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

4ensic15 wrote: »
    No point in trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted. It is up to you to prove your claim. You offered your evidence which was accepted. It is now a fait accompli. Better luck next time.

Ya thought as much although the costings for some of the work might actually be more than originally quoted hence why I'm wondering if we can claim extra

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

mrcheez wrote: »
    Ya thought as much although the costings for some of the work might actually be more than originally quoted hence why I'm wondering if we can claim extra

You might be able to if you can show something that was not visible when the original quote was given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

mrcheez wrote:
    Thing is, I signed off with the assessor, plus I've cashed in the cheque from the insurance company, so I think there's no way of claiming extra at this stage, or is it possible to claim that the assessor didn't assess the damage correctly even at this late stage?

Think you answered your own question.

• Advertisement

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Think you answered your own question.

Hmm no, I posed 2 questions. So which one did I answer? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

mrcheez wrote:
    Hmm no, I posed 2 questions. So which one did I answer?

You signed off and cashed the cheque. Settlement accepted.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    You signed off and cashed the cheque. Settlement accepted.

4ensic15 seems to think not, so could be worth investigating

You had damage, you called in a builder, he gave you a figure, the insurance assessor accepted this and the insurance company paid up, and you took the money.
    All sounds good to me.
    There are always people who tell you afterwards that you could have got more if you got your own loss adjustor, or fight things in court,etc but believe me, a smooth deal with the insurance for a sum that you think is satisfactory is way better than opening a dispute for the sake of attempting to maximise your payment.

Advertisement