Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log cabins & legality? 5k to buy, 850 pm rent.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I cant imagine log cabins lasting very long in the irish climate but I'm open to correction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

MysticMonk wrote: »
    I cant imagine log cabins lasting very long in the irish climate but I'm open to correction.

Properly maintained log cabins can last generations. However most of the Irish versions are glorified sheds rather than log cabins.

Graham wrote:
    Properly maintained log cabins can last generations. However most of the Irish versions are glorified sheds rather than log cabins.
    Agreed.

I've seen lots of vids of hand built cabins in america and canada,they look relatively easy to build but very labour intensive and theres a degree of technicality and skill involved plus the materials are very specific.
    I would doubt that 5k from an irish company would get much more than a large shed,as you say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

People do realise this thread is yonks old don't they?

pilly wrote: »

Log cabins to solve the housing crisis and generate an income from the garden, it's the gift that keeps giving.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote:

Its not twitter,trending,whatever. Its an interesting subject

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

MysticMonk wrote:
    Its not twitter,trending,whatever. Its an interesting subnect

I know I have one but I wouldn't go into any details here for fear of 20 posters telling me how many laws are being broken.

Reality often different to people's perfect perception of the world.

The OP was 7 months ago though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I know of someone who has put in a 2 bed stand alone log cabin in their back garden of housing estate, the width being from one boundary wall to the other, approx 1 ft from boundary fence and it's being lived in. No planning permission sought. 3 windows looking directly into adjoining garden, one is the toilet. Tapped into sewage and electric. Looks higher than 4m, the thing is massive. Completely obstructing privacy of surrounding neighbours but they went ahead with it anyway!

Was it in Donaghmede?

The windows facing the boundary is not a problem here as there's no limit to adhere to, but that's assuming it's a non habitable shed, games room etc

Living in it changes the use and thus requires planning, and will most likely be refused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Phillip D

There Is a good few logcains around my area , some are small others or big . They are definitely not games rooms I have seen people who are clearly renting it. think there students . So my guess is they didnt get planning and just went ahead and did it anyway.

I think more people are looking at biulding a 1 bedroom out there back or side , as it's much cheaper to build and are quick to get someone in. dont last very long on places like daft . You see them on Facebook pages of people complaining as they dont have the garden to do it and others think it's great so its 50/50 . 98fm where talking about it not long ago at the end they are still standing in people's garden some are rented out and others to help there kids have a place to live while try and save for there own place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

All it takes is one person to complain and the local authorities (and others) would be down on the owner like a tonne of bricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Phillip D wrote: »
    There Is a good few logcains around my area , some are small others or big . They are definitely not games rooms I have seen people who are clearly renting it. think there students . So my guess is they didnt get planning and just went ahead and did it anyway.

I think more people are looking at biulding a 1 bedroom out there back or side , as it's much cheaper to build and are quick to get someone in. dont last very long on places like daft . You see them on Facebook pages of people complaining as they dont have the garden to do it and others think it's great so its 50/50 . 98fm where talking about it not long ago at the end they are still standing in people's garden some are rented out and others to help there kids have a place to live while try and save for there own place.

yes this is true, whats your point though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyone know the reason that these are not allowed?
    Is it health and safety? I presume that they would have to pass certain restrictions anyway.
    It would make much more sense, especially in the current climate to allow these if done properly.
    It would very likely free up housing queue. With everything being given 'fast track planning permission' so that the likes of builders that were in the golden circle and helped bring this country to it's knees can be back making millions again, why can't somebody build one of these on their own land?
    Also would have been handy for some with self quarantining for this pandemic, but that's not really a valid point. However, the other points are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Suckit wrote:
    Anyone know the reason that these are not allowed? Is it health and safety? I presume that they would have to pass certain restrictions anyway. It would make much more sense, especially in the current climate to allow these if done properly. It would very likely free up housing queue. With everything being given 'fast track planning permission' so that the likes of builders that were in the golden circle and helped bring this country to it's knees can be back making millions again, why can't somebody build one of these on their own land? Also would have been handy for some with self quarantining for this pandemic, but that's not really a valid point. However, the other points are.

If I had a penny for every time I've seen this question on boards.

They don't meet planning regulations. It is possible to get planning permission for one BUT it will work out as expensive or more expensive than a regular home by the time you bring it up to meet fire, insulation etc regulations.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If I had a penny for every time I've seen this question on boards.

They don't meet planning regulations. It is possible to get planning permission for one BUT it will work out as expensive or more expensive than a regular home by the time you bring it up to meet fire, insulation etc regulations.
    So assuming they met regulations, should it be easy enoiugh to get pp, all things considered - non intrusive, no objections by neighbours etc..?

I doubt it, most (if not all) local authorities have guidelines for house styles that suit the local vernacular, I don't ever remember seeing log cabins feature. I'd also guess it would be hard to convince a local authority that most log house design are of such architectural merit they warrant special consideration.

I doubt it ever gets that far to be honest, most people asking the question just stop posting as soon as they realise they're not going to get a 3 bad home for €25k.

Funny you should mention 25K (I was looking at twice that, and not 3 beds, for a relative) I came across these a few weeks ago (they are a few years old) but look pretty cool.

https://www.image.ie/interiors/tiny-house-leitrim-153383

https://www.hedgerowhouseireland.com/

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Suckit wrote: »
    So assuming they met regulations, should it be easy enoiugh to get pp, all things considered - non intrusive, no objections by neighbours etc..?

Not so much planning regs... Though that is difficult.....especially for the timber clad ones. Not a traditional design and not a traditional finish is the usual reasons for non compliance with planning guidelines

It's making them comply with building regulations that's the problem.
    U values, thermal bridging, ventilation, condensation, fire spread, etc all need to be upgraded before they can be consisted compliant.... So it usually works out as expensive as a traditional build.... And with a traditional build you get the prima facia "lifetime" of the house that you don't get with these yokes.

Advertisement