Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Burnley 29/10/16 k/o 15.00 SS5(ROI)

12346»

Comments

• Not as if he was the 1st player to be sent off for something like that

Sending off justified :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This post is just ****e
    Well Done

Your tears
    They're delicious
    Slurp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

enzo roco wrote: »
    Youre wrong. The ref was correct with most decisions today...
    Take off the utd goggles and stop blaming the ref on Utd's failings.

No, I'm not wrong. I didn't blame the ref, I just said he was rubbish. We had more than enough chances to win and didn't take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Decuc500 wrote: »
    So let's just accept these bad decisions?

Did i say that? I said he was not the 1st player to be sent off for slipping into a challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nil nil with Burnley at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No shìt sherlock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Don't eat yellow snow.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Spoiler alert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Midtable result.

Boom -> Bust Cycle.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Boom -> Bust Cycle.

I don't see much boom with Utd or Burnley atm tbh, particularly in the league

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I don't see much boom with Utd or Burnley atm tbh, particularly in the league

I don't think you understood the post really, well tbh I do think you fully understood but I don't mind playing it this way if you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Burnley seem very robust this year. Dyche has them set up well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boom -> Bust Cycle.

Utd seem to have not bothered with the boom bit. More efficient I suppose.

Utd seem to have not bothered with the boom bit. More efficient I suppose.

Tut tut tut, old man forgetting Pog-Boom so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just because Burnley got a draw doesn't mean they played well. They didn't. They were quite shíte.

It's a pet peeve of mine to assume a team defended well simply because the game ended scoreless.

They were brave. But Utd had more than enough clear opportunities to win that by several. It was a combination of poor finishing and one of THE great goalkeeping performances of recent times.

Mee and Keane looked decent at times with some of their clearances, but when chances are squandered or the keeper makes miraculous saves and it stays 0-0, you forget how many chances there have been.

You can't give up that many brilliant chances and claim you defended well IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

SlickRic wrote: »
    Just because Burnley got a draw doesn't mean they played well. They didn't. They were quite shíte.

It's a pet peeve of mine to assume a team defended well simply because the game ended scoreless.

They were brave. But Utd had more than enough clear opportunities to win that by several. It was a combination of poor finishing and one of THE great goalkeeping performances of recent times.

Mee and Keane looked decent at times with some of their clearances, but when chances are squandered or the keeper makes miraculous saves and it stays 0-0, you forget how many chances there have been.

You can't give up that many brilliant chances and claim you defended well IMO.

Its funny actually but some of our recent performances are reminding me of LFC in the early 00s, ye dominated games and should have tonked a number of teams at various stages but the keepers ye played against had outstanding performances and ye ended up not getting the three points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Burnley were very poor. They had luck on their side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I absolutely love seeing Mourinho being on the end of this kind of performance/scoreline.

When you see him go to Anfield and have no interest in winning the game, just whacking the ten outfield players behind the ball with a 'let's not lose' attitiude, it's deadly seeing him getting a taste of it himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not a bad result for united, no goals conceded and they can build on this. I don't know why opposition fans are having a go tbh

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Nothing disjointed about the performance
    The finishing was the issue

yeah not today so much. but based on other recent performances it seems that way. Good 2nd half vs City and good today/yesterday though means they could be getting it together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

monkey9 wrote: »
    I absolutely love seeing Mourinho being on the end of this kind of performance/scoreline.

Scoreline more than performance! United dominated and had numerous chances but were disastrous in front of goal. United at Anfield barely gave Liverpool a sniff.

Although I can see why Liverpool fans are taking pleasure from the result, United played really well against both Stoke and Burnley but are having serious issues with taking chances. The performances have already improved on last year however the results need to change soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Phil Neville called it but Utd drew against burley and Arsenal is a tough game

From what I saw from United in their 4-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge, I don't think they are anywhere near the level that their manager Jose Mourinho wants them to be at, and it will probably take them a lot more time to get there.

But what I would add is that they have come out of a period of tough games, and they are going into a spell where their fixtures look a lot more winnable. Mourinho said so himself afterwards.

Burnley (29 Oct)

The next few weeks are an important time for them because you don't win the league by beating the clubs around you - you win it by beating everyone else.

That is what United have to do now, and they have to be more ruthless because draws will not be enough - for me, when they were held at home by Stoke at the start of October, it was almost as disappointing as Sunday's defeat.

In the next few weeks, United are at home to Arsenal but also play Burnley, Swansea and West Ham. Even if they only win those three games, then their world is a brighter place

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37747469

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Heaton is a quality goalkeeper. I don't think there is a better English goalkeeper at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

When you see him go to Anfield and have no interest in winning the game, just whacking the ten outfield players behind the ball with a 'let's not lose' attitiude, it's deadly seeing him getting a taste of it himself.

lol oh dear

let it go mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

lol oh dear

let it go mate

No.

You seem to take Liverpool fan's opinions on Mourinho personally of something. Would you not let if go yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

He's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Has a case been made to not play Fellaini in the near future? Has been handy this season but I always felt Pogba and him wouldn't work. And Pogba was decent yesterday and overall United looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

No.

You seem to take Liverpool fan's opinions on Mourinho personally of something. Would you not let if go yourself?

Lol good stuff

Lol good stuff

:( you win mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watched the highlights earlier, biggest problem is Ibra is too slow, Heaton made some super saves (certainly 2 he had no business saving) but he was helped been able to anticipate Ibra's movement.

There is nothing fearsome about United's strikers, Martial looks to be out of favour and Rashford is still very much a raw prospect. United would have been better off paying £90m on Kane in the summer than Pogba, he was a needless signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

rob316 wrote: »
    Watched the highlights earlier, biggest problem is Ibra is too slow, Heaton made some super saves (certainly 2 he had no business saving) but he was helped been able to anticipate Ibra's movement.

There is nothing fearsome about United's strikers, Martial looks to be out of favour and Rashford is still very much a raw prospect. United would have been better off paying £90m on Kane in the summer than Pogba, he was a needless signing.

AH yes the old I watched the highlights and from and 3-4 minutes shown I formed an opinion based in the other 85 minutes I didn't see.

Ibra all round game and link up play, especially with pogba was top class. If he puts away a few of those chances he's getting a 10/10.

He's getting chances and creating them. Goals will come.

Thankfully most United fans who had the displeasure of watching 90 minutes over the last few years can see that the performances, whilst not yielding the desired results, are night and day apart. Many United fans have said they could do without another season of champions league so long as progression was in the right direction. 37 attemots. We were lucky to have thay on 2 months under LVG

We haven't had the luxury of a year bedding in with a new manager. It's been 10 games.

As for the lad here talking about delight at the results due to a draw United got at Liverpool. It's quite clear you don't comprehend what you watch. United dominated Liverpool for 25/30 minutes at Anfield in terms of intensity and pressing. You were limited to a Can pop shot and a 30 yard strike. That's a good defensive performance. Burnely giving up guilt edge chance after guilt edge chance is not a Mourinho type performance. It's a mixture of great keeping, luck and **** finishing that enabled the draw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As for the lad here talking about delight at the results due to a draw United got at Liverpool. It's quite clear you don't comprehend what you watch. United dominated Liverpool for 25/30 minutes at Anfield in terms of intensity and pressing. You were limited to a Can pop shot and a 30 yard strike. That's a good defensive performance. Burnely giving up guilt edge chance after guilt edge chance is not a Mourinho type performance. It's a mixture of great keeping, luck and **** finishing that enabled the draw.

It's not about good defending, doesn't even have to be Utd v Liverpool either.

A team who set out to create little and are happy to settle for a 0-0 and then fails to score in another game when they are desperately trying to do so is rather funny.

Zlatan when on form is great but wouldn't get into a current top 4/5 side.

Rival fans will be hoping he's a permanent fixture in the Utd set up

Zlatan when on form is great but wouldn't get into a current top 4/5 side.

Rival fans will be hoping he's a permanent fixture in the Utd set up

Sorry but that's just not true.

8-10 wrote: »
    Sorry but that's just not true.

You think he'd get into a Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or City side?

Maybe Spurs with Kane out.

You think he'd get into a Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or City side?

Maybe Spurs with Kane out.

Most definitely. He'd be lethal in Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea's team. Other 2 would need to change style and Aguero would be ahead of him, Aguero is the only striker in the league id have over Zlatan

Most definitely. He'd be lethal in Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea's team. Other 2 would need to change style and Aguero would be ahead of him, Aguero is the only striker in the league id have over Zlatan

We'll have to disagree.

Spurs perhaps.

Arsenal or Chelsea no chance. I know a few Utd fans that would like him dropped

We'll have to disagree.

Spurs perhaps.

Arsenal or Chelsea no chance. I know a few Utd fans that would like him dropped

He'd start ahead of Giroud if they're playing with a striker

But yep, agree to disagree. If I were a United fan I don't know who'd I'd want to drop him for. That team needs Mkhitarian back fit

But yep, agree to disagree. If I were a United fan I don't know who'd I'd want to drop him for. That team needs Mkhitarian back fit

It's like some of you are already.

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    It's like some of you are already.

Huh? I'm a Zlatan fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

rob316 wrote: »

Martial is injured, Rooneys fell of a cliff and Zlatans current goalscoring form is gone too. He played well in open play, linked up well with Mata and Pogba but needs a goal. Rashford is a raw prospect but does not look out of place at all.

The worry for me is we don't like have a game changer on the bench. Under Fergie we always had 3-4 very good strikers so one or two on the bench. Chico/Solskjaer/Sheringham/Berbatov or Tevez. Not had that since Moyes tookover, it was good to see United for the first time in years continuing to try and force the opening rather than shoving Fellaini in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

No chance he would start ahead of Costa. He would be a disaster at Chelsea. Complete opposite of the type of striker Chelsea have to play with.

current top scorer Costa or Lukaku not tempt you?

BMMachine wrote: »
    current top scorer Costa or Lukaku not tempt you?

Yep I don't want to sound like I'm putting them down as they are top strikers. But Zlatan at Costa's age was a better striker and right now Costa only beats him on form; and Lukaku still hasn't shown enough consistency, still young and this might finally be the year.

It's the old cliché but Zlatan only needs 1 to go in and then the rest will follow. He's getting in the right positions and the reason he didn't score v Burnley isn't that he's suddenly so old he can't score from 3yds, it's simply bad luck on one of those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He would start ahead of Giroud, but Giroud doesn't start. He definitely wouldn't start ahead of Sanchez in current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ibra is 35, its not out of the question to ask is he good enough for one of the top leagues in Europe still. United need an upgrade and have done since RVP left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ibra is in superb condition but he is still 35 years old. He's not the player he was. His movement is fairly limited these days. He can still finish if chances are created for him though and he's still great in the air. At this stage of his career I think you'd have to be crackers to take him ahead of the likes of Costa, Lukaku or even converted striker Alexis Sanchez. Or Harry Kane of last season. Forget about Aguero.

Advertisement